Quantcast

Another Insomnia GMT… But This Time With Colors In The Sky.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, just got back from watching more lights in the sky.
The most interesting thing, though, was watching a couple of tourons doing hilariously stupid things. We were looking North at Mt. Moran, and about 2 10ths of a mile away, we see lights in the woods. (There are probably 15 or 20 of us sitting in camping chairs, just watching the skies).
They were walking around in loopy circles, with some green lights, etc, we couldn’t quite figure out what they were up to. We thought photographers, looking for a good time lapse spot of the Tetons under Borealii, or whatever.
So, this guy comes up, and tells us that earlier in the day, Grizzly 399 was there with her cub, in that exact spot. These idiots were walking around, in basically pitch dark, literally trying to get close-ups of a grizzly and cub.
Holee-crap.
Very entertaining.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Was able to pitch my tent so I didn’t have to sleep in the shelter with the power snorers last night. No need to shove earplugs into my brain. We will be out of the Smokies by lunch. 17.6 miles today. Y’all have fun in the cubicle farms.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Today was a nothing day, couldn't be bothered doing much. Have had two weeks straight off the bike, mostly because I'm afraid of getting wet.

Did order a bike light with a knob today-
1715516043967.png

I wanted a helmet light that was easy to dim, I'm sure as soon as a vine or something ruins the switch I'll ragret my decision.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Also slept like crap.
Storming here, thunder and hail currently.

edit: lightning is nuts right above us.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Today was a nothing day, couldn't be bothered doing much. Have had two weeks straight off the bike, mostly because I'm afraid of getting wet.

Did order a bike light with a knob today-
View attachment 211648
I wanted a helmet light that was easy to dim, I'm sure as soon as a vine or something ruins the switch I'll ragret my decision.
Dang, that’s a pretty cool light….HOLY SNAP, $180?
I’ll stil with my $12 AliExpress lights, even if the battery doesn’t last that long.
I love the garmin twist lock though.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hello there children.

Was invited to Do a nice ride with my coach friend today, but it’s mothers day and WTF? What’s with nobody being able to plan a big ride further out than 12 hours too? I can cram in a 1 hour loop of the neighborhood, but 3 hours out in bumfudge needs a little bit of planning

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Also slept like crap.
Storming here, thunder and hail currently.

edit: lightning is nuts right above us.
was super loud overnight here in the flatlands as well. jolted awake brain wondered if someone had crashed a car into the side of the house

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Airbnb in Junction for race at the end of the month cancelled with another rescheduled. Wifey and Hannah are not coming because she's concerned about leaving MIL alone with Layla after last weekend. Somehow it's still cheaper to get a small house for 3 nights than a hotel.

My grandpa is in the hospital with pneumonia, so I'm flying to Idaho Friday after work. He's over 90 now and in memory care, so his time is starting to get limited.

Mother's Day brunch today. Conversation about a truck is in play. The Tundra, which is the smallest of the fullsize trucks is massive. I can make a Tacoma work if I have a deck surface over the height of the wheelwell, but Decked is out of inventory. Used, low mileage Tacoma's cost less than my Allroad and I kind care less about a truck, so... Yeah. That makes life easier in general. I just kinda wish that Tundra's were still the same size as @Full Trucker's.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Great ride on the swamp ,uh "wetlands," trail
Hello there children.

Was invited to Do a nice ride with my coach friend today, but it’s mothers day and WTF? What’s with nobody being able to plan a big ride further out than 12 hours too? I can cram in a 1 hour loop of the neighborhood, but 3 hours out in bumfudge needs a little bit of planning
LOL I have a friend who does this with everything. One time he's like "Hey man I bought a sailboat, do you want to help me sail it all the way around Florida from the Gulf to the East Coast? Leave tomorrow?"

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Great ride on the swamp ,uh "wetlands," trail

LOL I have a friend who does this with everything. One time he's like "Hey man I bought a sailboat, do you want to help me sail it all the way around Florida from the Gulf to the East Coast? Leave tomorrow?"
Those are usually the best worst times

1715530091470.png

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Those are usually the best worst times

View attachment 211653
I was on that goddam thing for a week. At one point I had only had beer, weed and mushrooms for 12 hours when I took my shift on the heavy heavy unassisted rudder on that 25 ft sailboat near the Keys. In that six hours I went from a God to a worm and back again. The biggest pod of dolphins I have ever seen passed by and no one else saw it. Pretty standard Florida stuff really.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I've always wanted to learn to sail. A long distance trip by sailboat sounds like it would be amazing.

I probably would NOT do shrooms on a boat though.
The best way to learn and enjoy yourself at the same time is to do a charter on a mono hull in the islands, you get a crew that not only will teach you but also cooks and cleans as you island hop.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Lightning hit something very close by and fried Xfinity's service.

This post was brought to you by AT&T 5G.
as with power outage time, you're welcome to set up camp at my house down on the plains if you need supra-5G for work. fiber workin' fine here

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
12 mile run this morning and now entertaining MIL with lunch and a move (The Fall Guy...her choice!).

The foster pup got adopted this morning so we're back to a one dog house...for now.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
french toast for brekkies, then went for a walk by a nearby river to see the large stand of spider lilies that blooms there and had a picnic. power's out now for some reason, supposed to be restored by 5. cicadas be loud, yo.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
as with power outage time, you're welcome to set up camp at my house down on the plains if you need supra-5G for work. fiber workin' fine here
Xfinity site no longer shows the neighborhood outage but it ain't workin' here.

Lightning strike had tripped a breaker in our lower garage, haven't found anything fried yet other than internet.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Xfinity site no longer shows the neighborhood outage but it ain't workin' here.

Lightning strike had tripped a breaker in our lower garage, haven't found anything fried yet other than internet.
A number of years ago we had a lightning strike near the house that cooked the modem and network card in our desktop. Are sure something similar is not happening there, especially given tripped breakers in your house?Assuming of course Xfinity isn't just making shit up about restoring service, which would not be surprising.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Dang, that’s a pretty cool light….HOLY SNAP, $180?
I’ll stil with my $12 AliExpress lights, even if the battery doesn’t last that long.
I love the garmin twist lock though.
Yeah I got it cheaper than that but it was till a struggle to hit the buy button.
Now I just need to find a higher capacity battery with both terminals on the top.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
A number of years ago we had a lightning strike near the house that cooked the modem and network card in our desktop. Are sure something similar is not happening there, especially given tripped breakers in your house?Assuming of course Xfinity isn't just making shit up about restoring service, which would not be surprising.
We've had lightning kill a bunch of electrical with a strike before, including modem. But I put everything on surge protectors after that.

Modem is giving a wifi signal, but nothing on the WAN link.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Holy shit it's been a long week. Coaching Modified Baseball and Spring music events as well as senior stuff is a pain in the ass!!!! Junior/Senior Prom was yesterday and today I am sick (got a spring cold...can't seem to stop coughing). Not the Rona or strep just something viral....yeah me! First 2 concerts were a success just 2 more to go and a parade.