Quantcast

Another seatpost dies:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I bought this thing, because, well, for one it was damned cheap, and two, Ive always had good luck with Titec stuff before. Stems, posts, saddles...

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/15686-275_TITPT6-3-Parts-68-Seatposts/Clamps/Titec-6061-Seatpost.htm

I havent ridden this thing more than 30 miles and its bent all to hell. The carbon one I was bitching about before is now unusable, and Im set to leave for Pisgah in a few days.

Before anyone chimes in, I know I should've just gotten a thomson but $80 vs. $15 is alot, esp. when you consider that I dont care about the weight that much. The Titec is a claimed 2 grams heavier. (I doubt that)

Anyway...Im not asking for answers, just venting some frustration. I just cant win with bikes. They always break at the most inopportune times. Now my Time AtacXS's are feeling sloppy as well.

BALLS!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
You seem like a strapping young lad. Carbon post was asking for it.

I don't know about this post, but I would get 2 just in case.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
You seem like a strapping young lad. Carbon post was asking for it.

I don't know about this post, but I would get 2 just in case.
Hm. Maybe I was unclear. I already killed the titec post. I dont want 2 more or even one more.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Then buy a Thomson and fergetaboutit. I have 2 and I weigh over 200lbs.

I also think the Thomson ripoffs, like IRD, do the job. I have 2 of those as well.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Thomson on the way now.

FYI, the Jenson price was $68. If you're looking for one, they dont come any cheaper than that at least that Ive seen.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
how the hell do you keep breaking posts?

I'm sure we weigh about the same (I may weigh more) and I have been using the same OEM giant post on my XC and EA 50 on my DH bike for 3 and 1 1/2 years and they still work

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
Those titecs do indeed suck i bent one back when I rode xc and was only about 150. Never had problems with my thomsons though

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
how the hell do you keep breaking posts?

I'm sure we weigh about the same (I may weigh more) and I have been using the same OEM giant post on my XC and EA 50 on my DH bike for 3 and 1 1/2 years and they still work
Right now Im around 195ish. I think my main problem is that I run alot of post exposed on the XC bike due to its geometry and I ride alot of rough trails. Im not going over the minimum insertion line or anything tho.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
get a dh one like the truative team wiht the double clamp i had that on my hardtail dh bike all summer killed rails on seats before i killed the post, just had to replace the bolts because mine were weak.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Right now Im around 195ish. I think my main problem is that I run alot of post exposed on the XC bike due to its geometry and I ride alot of rough trails. Im not going over the minimum insertion line or anything tho.
Im like 6'3 195 right now, and I run a long post on my XC bike, But when it get rough I STAND UP. And up climbs I stay seated but I never have had a problem

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Thomson even has special frikkin bolts they specially heat treat to make stronger.

i got 2 and have had no problems for years. One has followed me for 5 bikeys now....

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Wait, are you bending the actual post or just the head? Cause if you are bending the post....holy crap, I haven't seen that one before.

The Ito

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
You should have talked me into sending the Thomson in my garage, fatty. :D

Bummer dude on the post. I can send you a pic of mine when I send your picture.

BTW - quit bitching, it's coming as a Christmas gift since I was jilted in SS this year.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Wait, are you bending the actual post or just the head? Cause if you are bending the post....holy crap, I haven't seen that one before.

The Ito
Uh yeah, the post itself. It doesnt seem too uncommon given this threads' replies tho.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I've bent a few cheap posts and learned my lesson. Both my mtbs run Thomsons now.

Not saying it's not possible, but I've never seen a broken or bent Thomson. To me, they're like King headsets- buy one and just move it from bike to bike.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
I bend em doing wheelie drops and slipping off the pedals. I don't mind cause if the seatpost didn't bend something else would.
Just because you have a crappy pedal and it breaks doesn't mean that it's saving your crank from being bent. Your logic is off. Get yourself a Thomson.:bonk: :biggrin:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I think that the thing that kills seat posts is crashes that cause the bike to fly in the air and it lands on the seat. This would mean that BurlyShirley's lard-assness is irrelevant. :D
:biggrin: Actually I havent crashed like that where the seat hit in a while now, so it is in fact, my lard-assedness causing any damage.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I ride a 400mm seatpost extended all the way out for general riding because I have a DJ frame. I ain't gonna spend $80 for a seatpost that lasts 3 months.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
I ride a 400mm seatpost extended all the way out for general riding because I have a DJ frame. I ain't gonna spend $80 for a seatpost that lasts 3 months.
uhm you buy a thomson and you're buying one that lasts forever... Where do you get 3 months?

Anyways, go against the grain i don't care. i'm not gonna argue about seatposts...