Quantcast

Another shoe thread

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
So I'm thinking it's time for a new pair of bike shoes. I know there have been threads kind of like this in the past but didn't find the answer I wanted yet.

I've been running an old pair of skate shoes on my flat pedals for the past few years but the pins have finally started to destroy the soles. I ride DH a couple times a month but I also do a decent amount of trail riding and I'm wanting shoes that will be good for both.

The two shoes I've been looking at are the 5.10 impact or the 5.10 freerider (not the freerider XVi). I'm already used to the skate shoe feel and I hear that the impacts feel slightly stiff and clunky for trail riding. Just wondering what you :monkey:s out there think.

Unfortunately, there are no bike shops in the area that carry either of these shoes so I can't try them on.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i've heard a lot of good stuff about the new teva shoes. might be a shop in your area that carries them.

too bad victor's closed. i seem to recall him having a couple pairs of 5.10's in stock.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I prefer the Impact to the FR due to the stiffer feel. Even for trail riding.
After buying a pair of FR last year I would go Impact again next time.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
Quoted for truth. For trail riding go with the XVi, they are awesome.
I think the XVi would be a good shoe but that bald spot on the sole makes me really hesitant to get them. Once in a while I may need to hop off the bike since I'm not the best on quick steep climbs and I don't want to slip/fall while trying to push my bike.

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
I use my Impact Highs for both DH and trailbiking. At first they felt strange in a big and bulky way (coming from skate shoes), but I got used to them in a couple of rides and don't see any drawbacks except maybe the weight and ugliness, but who cares about those.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I've read reviews that they feel too stiff or "clunky". What are your thoughts?

I imagine them feeling kind of like a hiking shoes (stiffness and sole thickness).
that's kinda accurate, they do feel a bit like the hiking boots I once had. I appreciate the stiffness though. It's like your whole foot is connected to the pedal, much like being clipped in (if you've ever messed around with clipless). I find that my feet get tired less easily in them, and the protection is pretty awesome. I think there are people who appreciate foot flex and being able to "feel" the pedal, but those people are on top of the podium and I'm just out having a good time. One shale strike to the heel and I'm happy. I used to ride in a set of vans, too.

Casey-Ryan

Monkey
Jan 2, 2012
Gloucester, MA
They feel like hiking shoes at first and then they start to break in. They kind of feel like Merrell Moabs but there was a great suggestion above about seeing if you have a teva dealer in the area. When I wanted to try out the lynx I went to sandal shop and they ordered them for me.

Honestly I really like the shimano flats for the money, you find them cheaper, they have a skate like feel (feel just like the vans shoes) and they come in spd and non spd depending on your flavor. I just never really got used to the 5.10's and not a whole lot of people I know like them.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
I just dont want a shoe that is too stiff. I rode clipless for one season (661 filter shoe) but didn't like it. Then I tried using those shoes with flats but those shoes were way too stiff and didn't flex at all.

If the impacts are like a hiking shoe then that would probably be fine with me

I may try checking out those new Tevas as well.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I just dont want a shoe that is too stiff. I rode clipless for one season (661 filter shoe) but didn't like it. Then I tried using those shoes with flats but those shoes were way too stiff and didn't flex at all.
Impacts aren't nearly as stiff as SPD shoes.

I've had V1 Freeriders and both Hi and Lo top Impacts. You get more flex in the shank of a Freerider, very similar to newer style skate shoes. I'd like to try some newer gen. Freeriders, but my Lo top Impacts make me feel more secure on the bike when it gets rough...

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I think the XVi would be a good shoe but that bald spot on the sole makes me really hesitant to get them. Once in a while I may need to hop off the bike since I'm not the best on quick steep climbs and I don't want to slip/fall while trying to push my bike.
They are amazing. I've been on them for a few weeks now and I am really impressed. Very refined compared to the Impact and Freerider (which are both great shoes). If you haven't checked out the Vital review it is spot on.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
They are amazing. I've been on them for a few weeks now and I am really impressed. Very refined compared to the Impact and Freerider (which are both great shoes). If you haven't checked out the Vital review it is spot on.
But have you tried walking up a slippery incline with them yet? Here in western NY there are lots of times when the trails might be muddy in spots.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
According to factoryjackson that's not exactly their strength...:rolleyes:
Just ordered Sombrio Slats hitops to replace my Freeriders/Barons. They are cheeeaaap on CRC to date and had a few decent reviews.

Let's see how it will work out.

Last edited:

Bedlam

Monkey
Feb 13, 2010
Under ground
Another nice choice is the 5.10 Line King, so far I like them but I haven't had a chance to ride them on my DH bike yet, but I will do that this weekend. My biggest concern is that the sole really feels pretty thin, I can def feel the pedals more than with my Freeriders (and my old Impacts), so I'm a little bit worried about how my feet will feel after a day of DH (might bring an extra sole). The height of them is nice though, feels protecting for the ancles as well as compensating for DH-pants being made for skinny midgets (I can understand the short cut of a moto pant where you have high boots, but for DH? Please make them longer!) by closing the sock gap a bit. I'll come back with a more thorough review after the weekend if anyone is interested..

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
If youre doing some serious dh along with your trail rides I suggest Impacts. Ive had the gen1 Freeriders too and after a while the midsole gets soft. As in soft. The Impacts may be stiff, but like the others said not clipless/spd stiff. Geddit. True to size.
Tbh now Im not even feeling the 'clunkiness' of it. Its the perfect flat for gravity riding.

*I also have the Shimano AM41(?) as well. Not as grippy, not too confident riding in the wet with these. Still the Impact is no. 1 for me. If you dont like the too sticky feeling of Stealth rubber take a gander at these.

Last edited:

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
OP: I'm riding both now. I like both of them a lot. I definitely prefer the Freeride XVi for trail for a couple reasons. They are lighter, the are not as rigid, and they breath better. They also offer ample protection for your toes even for DH. I love the Impacts for DH even better but I could use the Freeride for light DH but I wouldn't use the Impacts for trail. The only reason for that is because I have that option since I have both shoes. As far as I am concerned they both kind of suck if you have to climb something slippery. The Impacts have slightly more traction but are noticeably stiffer, the Freerides will offer more flex and give (have the same traction near the front of shoe) but offer less traction overall. In my opinion this is moot, and the reason for that is because my Shimano SPD shoes suck for climbing in the wet too :-)

Oh, and the sizing is the best of any shoe I have used to date. As previously mentioned, they run a tad wide but that works out great for me. The shimanos fit me fine but are a tad narrower than I like, I find myself taking them off during breaks on long rides since they are so easy to get on and off. The Freerides have comfort for miles, even when you are just chillin' in the parking lot having a beer after a long ride.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
i ride with loteks. cheap bmx shoes with a thick sole.

my dj has plastic pedals and sometimes i still have too much grip out on the trail.. damn shoes!:D

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I use Impacts mostly for trail riding nowadays, and have never felt klunky in them. I do appreciate the grip now that I went back to flats for all bikes. I also use the freeriders for BMX and they feel just fine there as well, probably too grippy in that instance. Once I put my foot down on the pedal at the gate, I have a hard time readjusting.

I do appreciate the impacts for protection while trail riding, some local places are "plattekill-eseque' ,with loose shale and all flying around.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I've read reviews that they feel too stiff or "clunky". What are your thoughts?

I imagine them feeling kind of like a hiking shoes (stiffness and sole thickness).
They are like a brick on your feet, wide, heavy...rode them for years and just found them too bulky, there are other great options out there now.