Quantcast

Another shout out to my homies @Trek! You suck!

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
My buddy has a trek fuel ex that needs a BB. I call the LBS that warrantied the frame and they gave me 4 choices and then asked if I wanted to order any to "try". No thanks. I call another Trek dealer that's 45min away and he tells me it's 1 of 3 - One which the other shop didn't mention. I would have given the shop the dimensions, but if I took this thing out, it would be in pieces and my buddy wants to ride this week. I send Trek a message that includes the serial number of the frame and they get back to me. It's not just a bb71! NO! It's a bb71-41A! Why keep it... "simple" at this point! I mean if we already have 40 "standards" why not create sub-standards! Fuck yeah Trek! Way to go! Fwiw, there's a bb71-41B also! Dayum! You guys are the best! Fuck you Trek... F' you!

Last edited:

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
bb71-41A is the parts number for a muffler bracket for a 1995-6 Plymouth Neon 4-dr
bb71-41B is the new Chinese strategic nuclear bomber with the upgraded countermeasures suite

I hope you get the right part.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
Your shops SUCK.

The 41A tells us it's a regular 89.5/91.5mm wide MTB shell. The 41B would be a 86.5mm wide Road shell.

BB71 means they had spec'd an XT level bb in the original.

The BB92 will be the common available XTR level replacement.

BB92-41A is the replacement part you want.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Your shops SUCK.

The 41A tells us it's a regular 89.5/91.5mm wide MTB shell. The 41B would be a 86.5mm wide Road shell.

you think this is the solution, but it's actually the problem.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Your shops SUCK.

So a bb71 is the same fucking piece of shit that a bb92 is? Well that makes sense! Shit! I thought the "71" had some significance to the size of the bb! Just like "41A"! Doesn't mean shit! Just there to confuse us. Now it's all coming together.

Fuck you Trek.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
To be fair, they are streaming Not2Bad for free today. Put that in your bottom bracket and incorrectly tighten it so it creaks.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
There's a few holdouts just waiting for all this bb nonsense to blow over and for square taper to reign supreme again.

These tasty White Industries cranks are only $250, and you can use whatever bottom bracket you like. As long as it's square.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Oh you want us all to live with one bb standard
Ahhhh too many standards for you to keep straight and figure out.
Yes! All we need is 2 bearings to put a 24mm axle through for fuck sake...

The Industry™ replies - That's too easy. Let's fuck this shit up!

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Right. Cause we all need 30's now. As I come ripping down that rock garden using 7 of 8" of travel, my mind wanders as I notice "Is that my axle flexing on my crank or do I need to add half a psi to my shock".

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Right. Cause we all need 30's now. As I come ripping down that rock garden using 7 of 8" of travel, my mind wanders as I notice "Is that my axle flexing on my crank or do I need to add half a psi to my shock".
Because we need 430g Next SL cranks.

Sep 11, 2015
My we're a whiny bunch today.

So a bb71 is the same fucking piece of shit that a bb92 is? Well that makes sense! Shit! I thought the "71" had some significance to the size of the bb! Just like "41A"! Doesn't mean shit! Just there to confuse us. Now it's all coming together.

Fuck you Trek.
< shrug > Sounds more like a Shimano problem to me.

Solution:

It will always be cute how terrified men are of menstruation. Bless your little hearts.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
This is pretty accurate. We are making new axle standards, bigger BBs, and every company is bragging about how stiff they are, then telling people to run tire PSI in the teens because 'compliance', which just makes the bike feel like it has flex.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Hey it's not my fault none of you bumble fucks can figure out simple bb sizing.
I'm with Shirk. This isn't complicated. My shop always keeps 1 XTR and a few XT BB92s in stock and we don't even sell a frame that uses them. It's just a pretty common BB now. For a bunch of guys on Ridemonkey to make a big deal about this isn't surprising but for two different Trek dealer to not be able to clearly explain what he needs and that they have it in stock is bizarre. I've never owned a Trek or worked in a Trek dealer but even I know that every bike they've made with a press fit shell and Shimano cranks takes this BB, even the road bikes. The only difference is the width of the center sleeve which can be left out.

Last edited: