Votes: 2 3.4%
  • other

Votes: 19 32.2%

• Total voters

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I am looking into a new frame, I am NOT basing this on price or how easy it is to come by. Please skip the flaming and bull****, if you dont have anything productive, dont post, and if you feel agitated enough, send it on a PM.

I am looking at

Trek session
Looks dope, really light, made by a large company-should be good warranty if it breaks

Canfield jedi
I am in love with these, i have 1 already, but am super happy with it, great CS.

Jamis dakar bam
They have a huge tendency of breaking, but this has "supposedly" been addressed this year-by adding a huge gusset.

Transition TR450
Its transition, whats not to love?

Demo 8
Not a huge fan of their 135 spacing, but if its that good, i can order wheels

Other, please specify

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
aren't you supposed to tell us what it will be used for, and how it will complement other bikes in your stable?
I try to leave that out to see unbiased opinions, alot of facts/information about prices, styles, and other stuff can alter the opinions alot imo. you get different answers if 1 bike is free and 1 bike is twice as much as MSRP

Other bikes id have would be a demo 9 and a jedi for those that want to know

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
I've been riding a pals Banshee Legend, and I cant tell you its been one of the best bikes I've ridden. Crazy low center of gravity, super stable, nice suspension platform, current GEO. Plus you get Ti hardware stock on the bike, T6 heat treatment, lots of cnc and cold forged parts, frame is a beaut, the paint kinda sucks though, but thats the only detail I have to say about it.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
so you want another one?
possibly, the idea of 2 identical bikes seems like a pretty good 1, all the parts of all my builds are identical, break 1, hop on the identical one, i would think a good idea for racing, however, it would also be less variety, so im open to all suggestions, if you have 1

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
possibly, the idea of 2 identical bikes seems like a pretty good 1, all the parts of all my builds are identical, break 1, hop on the identical one, i would think a good idea for racing, however, it would also be less variety, so im open to all suggestions, if you have 1
my friend has two of the same DH bikes built nearly identical.....i think his rationing is just as dumb as yours.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
But what if you break them both? I think you really need a third one. :rofl:

Really man, if you have that kind of cash to spare, I reckon there's far better things to spend it on than a 2nd one of exactly the same bike. Get a nice trail bike or something? Moto? New car? Go on a holiday somewhere?

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
If you have a new Jedi, why bother with another DH bike in the first place? That having been said, I go for a Jedi, unless I already had one in which case I'd go for something totally different.

The Knolly Podium is nice. You should get one.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
superco is high on the list, but isnt available yet is it? I dont seem to remember seeing any planned release dates

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
I think you should buy a road bike and train to get in better shape so you can go faster. I remember this kid telling me that Diablo locals are very talented but lack in the fitness part and told me to train on a road bike since im hurt....

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
superco is high on the list, but isnt available yet is it? I dont seem to remember seeing any planned release dates
Nothing as of yet I talked to terry and tried to get Doc to commit to a date but no luck...
So correct no release date yet.... I will be keeping my Jedi but I want to ride a few other bikes and get a real feel for them as well.... Id like a mini DH/FR bike.

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
V-10. I own a vII. VPP is the best feeling suspension I have been on. They look like sex on wheels. I haven't been able to find a bad review on one.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I think you should buy a road bike and train to get in better shape so you can go faster. I remember this kid telling me that Diablo locals are very talented but lack in the fitness part and told me to train on a road bike since im hurt....
actually after this weekend, i realize i have about the equivalent of a car battery in my stomach, I am swapping a dirt jumper for a road bike. Great advice though :thumb:

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
I remember this kid telling me that Diablo locals are very talented but lack in the fitness part and told me to train on a road bike since im hurt....
I guess now I have to race. Justin, take a look at the Evil Revolt. The amount of adjustments on that bike is unbelievable and can still be built up pretty light. Or build yourself up a heavier Downhill bike for just your normal riding and keep the lighter Jedi just for racing. I'm sure you'll see a difference in your riding, I plan on doing this method with the Flatline, we'll see how it goes.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
If you had this much disposable income for bikes, and any talent at all, you'd get a dirt bike instead of an identical DH bike....baffling.

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
Forget the "stable extension" and spend the money on a riding trip overseas somewhere cool:thumb: Like maybe NZ??? Our race season is in your off season :D

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
If you had this much disposable income for bikes, and any talent at all, you'd get a dirt bike instead of an identical DH bike....baffling.
I wish, little harder to buy a dirtbike than a DH frame, and nowhere to ride it, have a quad that sees a nice 4 miles a year

but since this thread didnt do so well, lets change it up a bit. The dakar bam frame will be free (i would be selling this), the transition be super cheap, as i ride for a shop that carries transition, I can probably get a deal on a jedi. The trek and demo 8 would have no deals, but i do like the trek. I have been told to get an Evil, that is looking like the most expensive 1 in the bunch, however, looks like you get what you pay for.

I have a new dakar bam sitting in my garage, the frame and parts being sold will be the karpiel disco with a nice build on it.

most of this being sold ^^^^^

Last edited:

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Forget the "stable extension" and spend the money on a riding trip overseas somewhere cool:thumb: Like maybe NZ??? Our race season is in your off season :D
ughhh thats my plan for this year, 3 winters in San Diego is to much. NZ is on my list.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Do you have a local shop with a Demo 8 in stock? It might be hard tracking down a 2010 Demo 8 at this point.

Larges are sold out at Specialized, the last medium Specialized has ships out tomorrow to me, and there is 1 Small left.

2011 Specialized bikes are partially available now with a full launch scheduled for July, it might be worth waiting until then to see whats available.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
This thread amazes me, you are in quite the position. I can't help but think that the money would be better spent building a killer trail bike or since you aren't concerned with bike overlap get an Enduro or something like it; these days there is a number of incredibly capable bikes with slack headangles (or an Orange Alpine or a Trek Remedy...etc.). Sharpen your skills gain cardio and spend more time in the saddle but what do I know.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
This thread amazes me, you are in quite the position. I can't help but think that the money would be better spent building a killer trail bike or since you aren't concerned with bike overlap get an Enduro or something like it; these days there is a number of incredibly capable bikes with slack headangles (or an Orange Alpine or a Trek Remedy...etc.). Sharpen your skills gain cardio and spend more time in the saddle but what do I know.
Agreed on the trailbike but more freeride oriented ie sx, the one and several others that can be done up and rip too...Then mod it out with avalanche advantage in a 35m boxxer or the new fox forks. Get some sheik hoops to the I9s and run carbonn bars as well as a gravity dropper post plus hammerschmidt fr and a rolhoff rear (Alan has an adapter for a rolhoff to go 12x150 slot) or just the rear rolhoff or hammerschmidt front and singlespeed rear...

Do something smart but unique....

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Agreed on the trailbike but more freeride oriented ie sx, the one and several others that can be done up and rip too...Then mod it out with avalanche advantage in a 35m boxxer or the new fox forks. Get some sheik hoops to the I9s and run carbonn bars as well as a gravity dropper post plus hammerschmidt fr and a rolhoff rear (Alan has an adapter for a rolhoff to go 12x150 slot) or just the rear rolhoff or hammerschmidt front and singlespeed rear...

Do something smart but unique....
Hammerschmidtt and a rolhoff!? How many gears do you really need that would be what like 54? That is not really necessary. I sort of agree about the freeride oriented bike but anything with a Boxxer on the front is not going to be fun to pedal. I would err on the side of a fox 36 Talas 160 or 180 on an SX with just the Hamm.

-edit- after some interweb sleuthing the Rohloff appears to be 14 speed but still twist shift, uber heavy, questionable reliability, not to mention parts are pretty well non -existent this side of the pond. No thanks, X0 X0 or XTR XTR works so well I don't see a reason to go to such an unproven technology just yet.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Why do you sell the Disco? Can you post a little review? Did the long cs bother you?

As for the bike - buy a moto and train on it. If I had the cash Id get an enduro/mini dh bike for the local trails or a moto even though Id probably be really tempted to get a next dh sled. Well that or just buy Greece. With the current debt they shouldnt be too expensive and they have some nice hills ;)

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Hammerschmidtt and a rolhoff!? How many gears do you really need that would be what like 54? 28That is not really necessary. I sort of agree about the freeride oriented bike but anything with a Boxxer on the front is not going to be fun to pedal. I would err on the side of a fox 36 Talas 160 or 180 on an SX with just the Hamm.

-edit- after some interweb sleuthing the Rohloff appears to be 14 speed but still twist shift, uber heavy, questionable reliability40,000km with 40ml oil changes every 5000, I don't think you could find a more reliable multi geared drive train. Grip shift is good, you can shift more gears in one sweep, and with the Rohloff, you can do that any time(not pedalling, pedaling, etc). May I suggest researching before posting., not to mention parts are pretty well non -existent this side of the pond. No thanks, X0 X0 or XTR XTR works so well I don't see a reason to go to such an unproven technology just yet.
Rohloff have been around for years. and/or Hammerschmidt may need more time, but is a sound design based on a 100 year old design.
Rohloff on the rear wheel is too heavy though, and will docile suspension activity with it's mass.

Last edited:

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Rohloff have been around for years. and/or Hammerschmidt may need more time, but is a sound design based on a 100 year old design.
Rohloff on the rear wheel is too heavy though, and will docile suspension activity with it's mass.
Not exactly. I ran into a guy at Whistler who ran one on his V-10 and swore by it. By his account, he had been running 3 seasons (I think) of hard riding on the hub with not a single whisper of a problem. I'd like to see how a Rohloff measures up (re: weight) to a standard derailleur/shifter combo. From all accounts it is no contest on the durability/reliability scale where the rohloff wins. I'm sure the additional weight on the rear end could be balanced out with a bit of tuning to the suspension, no?

I have been an advocate for a 7 speed, lighter weight offering from Rohloff for a while now. Either that or incorporating one into a gearbox-type design. That way the mass is at least centralized.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Not exactly. I ran into a guy at Whistler who ran one on his V-10 and swore by it. By his account, he had been running 3 seasons (I think) of hard riding on the hub with not a single whisper of a problem. I'd like to see how a Rohloff measures up (re: weight) to a standard derailleur/shifter combo.It's about s heavy as a whole XT(XC)drive train. From all accounts it is no contest on the durability/reliability scale where the rohloff wins. I'm sure the additional weight on the rear end could be balanced out with a bit of tuning to the suspension, no? No, it's unsprung weight, and it's so far out the back. Bad idea, and the reliability is not worth the penalty. Built inboard(like Lahar, GT(IT)Old school Nicolai monster, etc). Then it becomes a bennefit, as the rear end is even lighter than a 9speed, and the weight is low and centralized. As you stated below;)

I have been an advocate for a 7 speed, lighter weight offering from Rohloff for a while now. Either that or incorporating one into a gearbox-type design. That way the mass is at least centralized.
Rohloff have been saying this is being tested, but they doubt it'll be as reliable as the current 14speed, well that was last I heard nearly a year ago.
The new Shimanno 11 speed Alfine will be light enough for me to justify it out the back of my trail bike and possibly DH bike if I like it. Not a Rohloff, but getting closer, and lighter, and trigger shifter for those that want it.
Sorry for the Derail:rolleyes:

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Sorry for derail continuing but ...
When SRAM was unveiling the HammerSchmidt a 2 years ago (or when), I thought that in the next step they were going to come up with revised and MTB-ready version of their 9sp geared hub to match it with HS. IMO, that would have potential to conquere the EN, FR, ... side of the market for obvious reasons. But nothing has happened.
Nevermind, Alfine11 is here and someone should try to design his bike to use HS with Alfine. I'm following another path.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
As far as the trail bikes are concerned, i am considering it, but i more or less ride diablo or skateparks/dirt jumps. I cant think of a place or time where i would ride it. To factor this in, i have a 2011 dakar bam (the good 1) sitting in my garage, i can sell the frame and spare parts to turn it into something other than a jamis. That is more or less where this comes in. Most of the frames on this list i can get hooked up with with the exception of the demo 8 (which isnt super high on my list anyway) My thinking is that i can sell the frame and parts in my basement for enough for a nice frame, and the karpiel for a XC bike hopefully, but im working on the frame first. Any thoughts?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Id go pivot phoenix, with the superco being out for a while and all the bikes going it would be my top choice along with a V-10 (new not carbon) and between the 2 the pivot green/black with the raced out kit to go beat on would be nice...
My buddys a pivot dealer and Im thinking of riding one to see what its like for a bit, I figure I already have my dream bike so now its time to ride differe3nt stuff and just try em... Im not completely sold on the evil, the turner DW DHR isnt out, and the tr450 is nice for some...

I say rock something rearward/vertical smaller CS so it corners and if it goes vertical it will have a bit more pop off stuff. Dont go for too much of a forward wheelpath it kicks you up and over the bars on hard square edge hits and casing a bad landing.... OUCH been there a few times on previous bikes...

I personally think the pivots going to be SICK and fast as well.... Its on the real short list.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
As far as the trail bikes are concerned, i am considering it, but i more or less ride diablo or skateparks/dirt jumps. I cant think of a place or time where i would ride it.
dude you live in north jersey theres TONS of amazing places to ride XC here. XC here in north jersey isnt all about uphill pedaling. theres tons of mini DH sections in the XC trails out here. get yourself a dope 5.5" travel bike and go have fun. The XC skills will help you in DH, you will be smoother and wont need 4 back up DH bikes.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Rohloff have been saying this is being tested, but they doubt it'll be as reliable as the current 14speed, well that was last I heard nearly a year ago.
The new Shimanno 11 speed Alfine will be light enough for me to justify it out the back of my trail bike and possibly DH bike if I like it. Not a Rohloff, but getting closer, and lighter, and trigger shifter for those that want it.
Sorry for the Derail:rolleyes:
Just looked it up. 1590g for the Alfine - that's heavier even than a rohloff isn't it?

Way too heavy for me to consider: current setup = 300g hub + 160g mech + 100g cassette = 560g. More like 700-800 for a lot of people (my cassette is trimmed to 6 gears, mech is dura-ace, etc etc), so the Alfine adds a LOT of unsprung weight.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
what an awful thread. I'm happy to have one DH bike and a trailbike. Getting out as often as possible is a nice treat. Having identical bikes is unfathomable. If something breaks, use it as an excuse to upgrade.

Retardless, I voted for the session. Little hype, active braking, and a very well built frame, save for maybe denting. I love my FuelEx for trailriding, the session is high on my list to replace the sunday when i get rich.