Quantcast

Another Whistler Victim

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
Whistler has claimed another ridemonkey victim. Yesterday (August 5th) erikkellison crashed hard on Freight Train and shattered his right wrist, fractured a bone in his left elbow, maybe broke a bone in his left wrist, and got a nice chunk of skin taken out of his chin. Several hours were spent at the Whistler care center, lots of x-rays were taken, both arms were wrapped/cast, and many sutures were used.

Send out the healing vibes cause he still has a way to go. Surgey is probably needed for his one wrist and if his other wrist is broken that will be useless for 2-4 months. Poor guy can't really do much for him self at the moment and I'm sure he's gonna be in a lot of pain over the next couple days. All in all it was not a pretty ending to an otherwise great day.

If you read this Erik, I'm glad I was there to be able and help you out and heal up quick.

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
thesacrifice said:
how did it happen? get well fast!
I didn't see the wreck but from what we can best figure he went off one of the tables and for some reason used his front brake and went over the handlebars in the air. He probably put his arms out instinctually to brake his fall and landed wrists first.

jubilee

Chimp
Mar 29, 2006
Earth
TtotheJ said:
Whistler has claimed another ridemonkey victim. Yesterday (August 5th) erikkellison crashed hard on Freight Train and shattered his right wrist, fractured a bone in his left elbow, maybe broke a bone in his left wrist, and got a nice chunk of skin taken out of his chin. Several hours were spent at the Whistler care center, lots of x-rays were taken, both arms were wrapped/cast, and many sutures were used.

Send out the healing vibes cause he still has a way to go. Surgey is probably needed for his one wrist and if his other wrist is broken that will be useless for 2-4 months. Poor guy can't really do much for him self at the moment and I'm sure he's gonna be in a lot of pain over the next couple days. All in all it was not a pretty ending to an otherwise great day.

If you read this Erik, I'm glad I was there to be able and help you out and heal up quick.
Man, sorry to hear about that. Tell your bud heal up quick....and watch lots of vids to keep the stoke until next season!

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
get some gortext casts for those arms so you can go in the shower with them and even swim with them.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
i have surgery in a week, an mri tomorrow for my possibly broken left scaphoid, and i'll be in a cast for at least 2 months. but, right now my left wrist doesn't hurt that bad and isn't fully immobilized, allowing me to drink, eat, wipe, pee like a guy, etc. it's not the end of the world, just maybe the end of dh/fr for me, at least for a whole year. i'll get on a trail bike as soon as i can. vp-free is up for grabs.
thanks for the support, today is the first real time i've been able to sit at the comp for more that 3 min.
thank god for friends and family... would have been quite screwed w/o them!
oh... shower? what's a shower?

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
erikkellison said:
i have surgery in a week, an mri tomorrow for my possibly broken left scaphoid, and i'll be in a cast for at least 2 months. but, right now my left wrist doesn't hurt that bad and isn't fully immobilized, allowing me to drink, eat, wipe, pee like a guy, etc. it's not the end of the world, just maybe the end of dh/fr for me, at least for a whole year. i'll get on a trail bike as soon as i can. vp-free is up for grabs.
thanks for the support, today is the first real time i've been able to sit at the comp for more that 3 min.
thank god for friends and family... would have been quite screwed w/o them!
oh... shower? what's a shower?
Hey Bud,

I feel bad for you. I can't make you heal faster, but we are having a fundraising party on the 19th of August here in Seattle. We will be showing a lot of film content and having a ball. We are also showing Crankworx footage as a part of our Bones Over Metal project. I extend to you and a guest free tickets to this event. I trashed my wrist up that way on Whistler, No Joke, and I feel your pain. This flyer has all the details. Let me know if you want to take me up on it and I'll have the tickets waiting at the door - Mark

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
What jump on the trail did you crash on, and what time of day? I did a high speed nosedive off the first (very rough) jump on freight train at about 3:00 on the same day and broke my collar bone...

Well, hope you heal as fast as possible! :)

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
that's a funny coincidence about tha jump. i don't much like the jump you're talking about, but it's not the one i crashed on. i crashed on the 4th jump on ft, right before the road (thankfully). i was finally going fast enough to easily clear those last two high speed tables, and subconsciously thought that 'enough' speed was a bit too much, and f. brake checked on the lip. happened around 7pm.

thanks for the invite man! my surgery is on the 17th, so i'm not sure i'll be feeling up to it, but if i am and i find a guest, i'm down!
ps
can't get the vids on your site to work.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Hey Eric, remember me? You bought my BF's Bullit a couple years ago. Strangely enough, 2 years ago I shattered my right wrist and scaphoid, and broke the left hand at the same time, as well as fracturing an elbow.

Find a doc that uses Thermoplastic casting technology. It will make your life so much easier. They make casts out of heat actived plasitc sheets that are more breathable, more rigid, and better fitting than a standard fiberglass cast. They can also be made to be removable (once your wrist is sturdy enough, or if it's plated immediately) so you can clean it and shower. My right hand/wrist had to be casted for 6 months so I was very appreciative of the plastic cast. It sounds like you really damaged some stuff bad and may be recouping for awhile so the more comfy those casts are the better off you will be. If you have any questions about scaphoid stuff just pm or e-mail, unfortunately I have had to become an exert on the subject.

Take care of that scaphoid, it's a small bone, but not one to be trifled with.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
DH Diva said:
Find a doc that uses Thermoplastic casting technology. It will make your life so much easier. They make casts out of heat actived plasitc sheets that are more breathable, more rigid, and better fitting than a standard fiberglass cast. They can also be made to be removable (once your wrist is sturdy enough, or if it's plated immediately) so you can clean it and shower. My right hand/wrist had to be casted for 6 months so I was very appreciative of the plastic cast. It sounds like you really damaged some stuff bad and may be recouping for awhile so the more comfy those casts are the better off you will be. If you have any questions about scaphoid stuff just pm or e-mail, unfortunately I have had to become an exert on the subject.
YES! I had the same type of cast when I broke my humurous last year!:)

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Snacks said:
YES! I had the same type of cast when I broke my humurous last year!:)
Wasn't it super? I wouldn't use any other kind now, made life so much easier.

Liquid10

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Healing vibes sent!

Stay strong man, I hate to say it but it is a long road to full recovery.
Just let it heal up fully, don't be in a huge rush to get back on the bike.

On a side note, lots of people seem to be getting seriously hurt this year (including me) :dead:

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
i am not in any hurry to get back on my bike, trust me. someone buy all or part of my vp-free? we're looking at 2 months min. to casual riding, maybe 6 or more to real trail. can you soy goodbye to muddy winter riding this year?

left a message with the doc about thermoplastic casts. find out later today. were you mentioning them in regard to my bad break, my scaphoid, or just in general (both?)?

did i mention that tj's a champ? someone hook up with him for whistler trips, he's out 2 partners now! i'd hate for him to go alone, and the be alone if he got hurt. friends make all the difference.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Thermoplastic casts are nicer to deal with in general, but especially for the scaphoid because that tends to get you a longer cast sentence then the average broken wrist. Also, it allows your doctors to keep a better eye on the hand and wrist, and let you start very basic PT earlier. When I say basic PT, I mean getting your arm out of the cast, moving the elbow, basic finger movements, some light stretching, ect. It also allows you to do scar tissue massage earlier. For six months after my wreck I was at the PT or Ortho weekly, and for the first couple months upwards of 3 times some weeks. It makes those visits a lot more beneficial if they can get that cast off and see how things are coming along. It also just improves your overall quality of life.

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
erikkellison said:
did i mention that tj's a champ? someone hook up with him for whistler trips, he's out 2 partners now! i'd hate for him to go alone, and the be alone if he got hurt. friends make all the difference.
No man you're the Champ. You guys should of seen him, he was MESSED UP! But the whole time he kept looking at the bright side of things (trust me there weren't too many bright sides to anything at the time) and kept joking around with the doctors and nurses. Even during the ride home he never seemed pissed off or really depressed.
Props to you Erik, I don't know if I would of handle myself so well.

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
dwaugh said:
What jump on the trail did you crash on, and what time of day? I did a high speed nosedive off the first (very rough) jump on freight train at about 3:00 on the same day and broke my collar bone...

Well, hope you heal as fast as possible! :)
The one where you round the left corner and then dive into a table? That one took me out last year..nothing broken excepta bunch of skin and an ego though.

What size vpfree frame? PM me

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
It's a medium w/ a Roco, trans blue.

i think i've been taken out by most jumps at whistler, i just never had such nasty consequences. word to the wise: let your armor do the work.

as for the scaphoid, i had the plaster half-cast off today for washing, and the wrist hardly hurts at all, has painless mobility, and the pocket-pushing-broken-scaphoid test seems to be negative. hopefully i'll just have the one wrist to deal with. not sure what's broken in that one... everything, i think.

also, thanks for all the support everyone! at least there are people to talk to in my infinite boredom. So far, my best friends have been Harry, Ron and Hermione ;)

eio

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
PNW
He's not alone............
2 weeks ago, 3 of our crew, including myself are done for the next few months at least..

Fatcrobat got me.
I ended up with a dislocated & shattered left elbow which required 6 hours of surgery, 3 Ti plates, and 30+ screws to put it back together.

My goal is be back out on the trails with the small bike by Oct. We'll see........

Attachments

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Thought you'd like an update. I've had my right wrist reconstructed, and it was not fun. I hate surgery. But the upside is, even in this cast, it is more usable than it was before, and healing fast. I have at least one plate and many pins (not sure exactly yet as I don't yet have the new xrays in my posession). My chin scar has seriously diminshed, my back scars are going to be okay. My left wrist was indeed broken as well, but apparently it wasn't the scaphoid because they told me that I could use it, just to go easy. It was only recommended to wear a splint as a reminder to not use it too much. My left elbow was also broken at the radial head, and both L arm injuries are doing great. My arm is quite functional for being broken in 2 places. It looks like I'll be getting a thermoplastic cast this coming monday once all the swelling is down. It won't be until october when I can take the cast off fully, but oh well, I'm getting better every day :)

TJ,
What are you up to? I'm selling the Free, 888, and my wheelset. Sad, but maybe we can go trail riding at Galby this Fall. I think I'm going to get a 6-Pack or a Moment.

Nice scar EIO, I hope mine isn't that bad, but really I have no clue since it's been bandaged since surgery. We'll see! I bought some Mederma at least :)

eio

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
PNW
erikkellison said:
Thought you'd like an update. I've had my right wrist reconstructed, and it was not fun.,................ I'm selling the Free, 888, and my wheelset. Sad, but maybe we can go trail riding at Galby this Fall. I think I'm going to get a 6-Pack or a Moment........................

Nice scar EIO, I hope mine isn't that bad, .................

Geez! I thought I had it bad.
Heal up dude!

My elbow is getting stronger. Its actually healing remarkably well.
Get lots of rest, exercise a little when./if you can, eat your Wheaties and you'll be back before you know it.

Funny though.............
I'm selling my VPF as well as I don't know when I'll be back on it again.
BUT, I'm keeping my RFX and building it up a bit burlier with multiple wheelsets as a do-it-all bike.................to ride places like Galby.

My new elbow...............

Attachments

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I know this is old news, but I thought I'd add the pictures for posterity. My left wrist and elbow are almost better, a couple more week until 90%+. My right hand is pretty good with the exception of my thumb, but my wrist doesn't bend up more than 20 degrees, and down more than 5. It will be a long while before it's better again.

dirt-dart

Monkey
Feb 26, 2006
mccall ID/eagle river AK
wow, its like everyone is getting hurt!

my friend hobie- broken scapular august 17
my friend miles- broken middle finger august 20
me - broken tibia august 29
my friend travis- broken wrist august 25

my friend drew - arm stuck in elevator and then almost chopped off resident evil style august 3

i hope you get well soon, good luck healing up dude!

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
I know this is old news, but I thought I'd add the pictures for posterity. My left wrist and elbow are almost better, a couple more week until 90%+. My right hand is pretty good with the exception of my thumb, but my wrist doesn't bend up more than 20 degrees, and down more than 5. It will be a long while before it's better again.

That's what my left wrist looks like. I never got more than 70 degrees back. 90 is a distance dream. Of course, I didn't do much PT except for pushups and riding and everyday stuff.

I crashed at Whistler on Tues on my left wrist, so now it's back to only 20 degrees of movement. My wrist didn't much care for being forced that extra 20 degrees it lost 2 years ago.

Hope you heal quick.