Quantcast

Anticip.........

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
when i got my new ride, i thought that it would likely be stolen or vandalized. a couple of months later, someone did the smash and grab with my stereo. wait for it. btw, what kind of stereo you got in that thing?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
when i got my new ride, i thought that it would likely be stolen or vandalized. a couple of months later, someone did the smash and grab with my stereo. wait for it. btw, what kind of stereo you got in that thing?
I dunno, the stock one. The SRS feature works really well! 10 speakers, crisp sound, decent bass.

My old car got busted into about a month after moving to Van. They got in and stole everything that was in arm's reach. No real damage to the car thanks to the handy "easy to break into" feature of the Mazda 3.

Same car was stolen a few years back from a shopping mall in the west end of Montreal. The thief just wanted a ride home I guess. Nothing but my shades were stolen from the car that time. About $3,000 in North Face gear (rejects from a friend who worked for them, they were x-mas presents for the fam) was in the back and wasn't touched. Weird.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I dunno, the stock one. The SRS feature works really well! 10 speakers, crisp sound, decent bass.

My old car got busted into about a month after moving to Van. They got in and stole everything that was in arm's reach. No real damage to the car thanks to the handy "easy to break into" feature of the Mazda 3.

Same car was stolen a few years back from a shopping mall in the west end of Montreal. The thief just wanted a ride home I guess. Nothing but my shades were stolen from the car that time. About $3,000 in North Face gear (rejects from a friend who worked for them, they were x-mas presents for the fam) was in the back and wasn't touched. Weird.
I wore the North face coat to work today

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
congrats on the ride.

i love shots like this, where you can see stuff in the reflections. note the concentration.
Yeah, I'm going blind in my old age... It was time to get a silly car before I really didn't look the part.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I just reported to the Police at that Bank robbery I saw a Blue car with a Canadian License Plate 191 WEK. they should be visiting you soon
Yeah, fuzzing out the numbers is too much of a pain. I've been on RM all day. That's sort of an alibi...

I hate front plates. Ruin the front end of a car. None in QC... +1 for Quebec!

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
So I got some brake fluid. The bottle is leaking a bit, so I'll just pop by your place this evening and leave it on your hood, right?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Oooohhhh man. This car kicks ass. There is traction out the wazoo. Really, really unlike any car I've had so far. (Jeep Cherokee, Mazda 3 GT Hatch)

So, yeah, for driving, absolutely awesome. Just burned a quarter tank flogging it (under 4000 rpm...) along this stretch of road.

But I gotta say, there are some cues Subaru could take from Mazda when it comes to the interior.

The armrest/glove compartment is pretty useless in the WRX compared to the Mazda.

I hear there is no low washer fluid light. I haven't had time to find out yet, but that seems like something that couldn't possibly weigh that much (if that could possibly be the reason why they don't have one...). Pretty dumb.

The floor of the hatch in the Mazda is better too. There's a layer between the visible floor and the spare tire that's full of compartments. Handy for tie downs and stuff.

Just seems like there are a few things that would be so easy to incorporate that would really make the Subaru an obvious choice for that class of car.

I can't wait until I can open it up. 3rd gear is going to be a hoot.

Speeding ticket in my near future.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
But I gotta say, there are some cues Subaru could take from Mazda when it comes to the interior.

The armrest/glove compartment is pretty useless in the WRX compared to the Mazda.
Did you get the armrest extension?

I hear there is no low washer fluid light. I haven't had time to find out yet, but that seems like something that couldn't possibly weigh that much (if that could possibly be the reason why they don't have one...). Pretty dumb.
Basic maintenance, you should try it. Welcome to the enthusiasts car world. The company expects you to care at least a little bit, and to know how to open the hood and look

The floor of the hatch in the Mazda is better too. There's a layer between the visible floor and the spare tire that's full of compartments. Handy for tie downs and stuff.
Are you sure? Anyways, you can pull the space filling crap out of there and be a good man putting in a socket set and ratchet, simple hand tools, a tow rope, and jumper cables

Just seems like there are a few things that would be so easy to incorporate that would really make the Subaru an obvious choice for that class of car.
What the cheap under $25k car? Do you want an AWD pocket rocket, or a Tercel?

I can't wait until I can open it up. 3rd gear is going to be a hoot.

Speeding ticket in my near future.
Yes.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Did you get the armrest extension?

If you can find the one with the compartment, I'm all ears. The one at the dealer only moves up and forward. Not terribly useful.

Basic maintenance, you should try it. Welcome to the enthusiasts car world. The company expects you to care at least a little bit, and to know how to open the hood and look

Uhhh, okay. I'm guessing you don't live in an area with snow....

Are you sure? Anyways, you can pull the space filling crap out of there and be a good man putting in a socket set and ratchet, simple hand tools, a tow rope, and jumper cables

Pretty sure. I even checked again.

What the cheap under $25k car? Do you want an AWD pocket rocket, or a Tercel?

I can't think of another car that doesn't have a washer light. Just seems weird.

Yes.

Still not yet, but it'll probably happen.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>

Uhhh, okay. I'm guessing you don't live in an area with snow....
Since you live in an area with snow you'll find yourself RAPIDLY adapting to this. It only takes once running out of washer fluid and you'll start checking it every time you check your oil. :clue:

I can't think of another car that doesn't have a washer light. Just seems weird.
I've never HAD a car with a washer light. :D

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
1600 kms travelled, keeping it below 4000 rpm: check
New oil: check
Semi-responsible blast on some open highway: check

Loving this car. Except I ran out of washer fluid and had to go the garage to get that fixed.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
First gear break yet?
Not yet... something I should know?

I have stalled it an embarrassing number of times. It takes way more gas than I'm used to to back the thing up and steer at the same time. Part of the beauty of AWD, I guess.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Westy said:
First gear break yet?
I thought it was 2nd gear.

Da Peach, is yours the newfangled 265 hp version? I bet you haven't uncorked more hp than your Mazda had if you've truly kept it below 4000 rpm... Long live the placebo effect. :D

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Hadn't read that, but I did read about complaints of the car popping out of 4th gear, and that the stock turbo is delicate. I'm not going be be putting this thing through race duty, but it's all warrantied up the yin-yang anyway.

Da Peach, is yours the newfangled 265 hp version? I bet you haven't uncorked more hp than your Mazda had if you've truly kept it below 4000 rpm... Long live the placebo effect. :D
Yeah, it's the 265. Up until yesterday, I actually managed to restrain myself. I probably hit 5000rpm a couple times by accident, but kept it pretty conservative. Even under 5000, it was hella-placebo-faster than the Mazda. Fo sho!

Yesterday was the end of the break-in period.

I believe he has found 130 mph....
Yup. Did it on brand new oil. 150 mph seemed like it wouldn't be a problem at all. Long, straight, flat, dry open road with nobody ahead for about 3 miles. I caught up to them pretty quickly.

Funny to watch the gps on my iPhone go all wonky when you stomp on/let off the gas....

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

First gear works, first gear synchros give it up after a few months. Learn how to double clutch if you ever want to downshift into first rolling any faster than 5mph.