Quantcast

Any 6 foot-plus riders on 'Goose ECDs?

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Just curious what stem length/cockpit setup you're running.

I tried a buddy's that's for sale w/a 70mm stem and 1" rise bars (I've always run 70s on all my DH/FR bikes) and man, did the front end feel floppy. I'd try a 50 but I think it'd be too short. I really like the feel of the bike for jumping/play riding but it was a ton of work keeping it in a straight line on rocky, steep downhill.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
i'm 6'7" raced a demo one about a week ago. I got a short torso, so it wasn't that bad, course wasn't that steep either. It jsut had the stock stem. It felt weird at first, but I got used to it and forgot about it pretty fast. I'd probably go an inch longer if I could though.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
Just curious what stem length/cockpit setup you're running.

I tried a buddy's that's for sale w/a 70mm stem and 1" rise bars (I've always run 70s on all my DH/FR bikes) and man, did the front end feel floppy. I'd try a 50 but I think it'd be too short. I really like the feel of the bike for jumping/play riding but it was a ton of work keeping it in a straight line on rocky, steep downhill.
there are many reason's that you could get that feeling....rear shock set up being the one i would look at first.....if your 6'7, how big is your friend and what is his weight? if your bigger and weigh more it could cause a problem.

if you have the shock all sagged out it will put all the weight on the back and make the head angle very slack, your height and a 70 stem should actually make the front end have more weight on it, so not sure what the answer is on that?

as said in earlier post....we have gone to 3 sizes to accommodate taller riders like your self,

the small and medium are unchanged, but we have added a large...previous models were M/L

hope this helps?

jake133

Monkey
Jan 21, 2005
SLC, Utah
My M/L feels spot on with a 55mm stem. I am 6'1". And Jeff how tall are you? I think anyone taller then 6'2" may feel cramped on the 07 M/L but the 08 large might be a good fit. About the front end feeling "floppy" i would think that would have to do more with suspension then bar and stem choice.

EC, change of subject, but what weight spring would you recommend for the ecd for a 155 pound rider? 400? 350? Right now i have a 450 and can't properly set up the compression on the DHX because i have it set so soft. Thanks, Jake.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
EC, change of subject, but what weight spring would you recommend for the ecd for a 155 pound rider? 400? 350? Right now i have a 450 and can't properly set up the compression on the DHX because i have it set so soft. Thanks, Jake.
Alls I know is that i'm 205 w/o gear, and a 450 spring was a tad on the stiff side (but about right). How much sag are you running. And what travel mode?

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Tkanks for the feedback. I'm 6'1", 210ish w/out gear. Rear spring is a 450 but it feels dead on sag-wise, even though I run a 500 on my own bike (large 05 DHI).

Part of the issue may be fork setup, as Jake mentioned. I have the Boxxer dialed all the way out on both comp setting but it still doesn;t sag as much as my 888 does, though both have the stock medium springs. Just gonna play with it some more but was curious what other setups folks were running.

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
you want a 300, im the same weight as you and i want a 275 but nooo. the stock 450 is waaayy to stiff

edit: and yes, im ec, i sign all the frames

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
Tkanks for the feedback. I'm 6'1", 210ish w/out gear. Rear spring is a 450 but it feels dead on sag-wise, even though I run a 500 on my own bike (large 05 DHI).

Part of the issue may be fork setup, as Jake mentioned. I have the Boxxer dialed all the way out on both comp setting but it still doesn;t sag as much as my 888 does, though both have the stock medium springs. Just gonna play with it some more but was curious what other setups folks were running.
i think i got the 6'7 height from a different post, sorry

in the little testing i have done on zoke products they seem to be a lot softer then Rock Shox products,

at the expense of the rear working it's best try adding pre load on the rear spring to get a balance of spring rate to see how the bike feels, don't worry about bump absorption, just focus on the flop you feel and try to remedy that feeling, if you like it tune back spring rate on front and rear later.

and just for those asking, i currently on my 07 ECD run a Rock Shox vivid shock with a 350 spring set in the top position of the linkage and a World Cup Boxxer with between 150 and 170 PSI for spring rate. i weigh 180 lb's

again hope this helps ya'll

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
My M/L feels spot on with a 55mm stem. I am 6'1". And Jeff how tall are you? I think anyone taller then 6'2" may feel cramped on the 07 M/L but the 08 large might be a good fit. About the front end feeling "floppy" i would think that would have to do more with suspension then bar and stem choice.

as steezy weasel said your 450 is way to stiff, I'm not sure if it's out there but a 300 or lower maybe would probably be your ticket?

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Stupid question du jour - which shock mount position is which? Glancing at it, I assumed the lower position was the longer/full travel seetting but I see you (Eric) run yours in the top?

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
as steezy weasel
i saw what you did there
Stupid question du jour - which shock mount position is which? Glancing at it, I assumed the lower position was the longer/full travel seetting but I see you (Eric) run yours in the top?
top mount is the 8.4 inch travel setting, lower bb, slack HA. the lowere mounting is the 7.5 or somthing, it raises bb increases HA

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Hey that's wierd, I didn't even know there was a Goose rep on here. That's cool. Think you guys can rest easy knowing the name is really starting to get some respect in our world.
Can I make a few suggestions, or I'm I jackin the thread? I'll delete this if anyone gets grumpy at me...
*Put some weights and more details on the website!
*This is my biggest issue: Further separate the department store line from the high-end. Decals, colors, everything. I realize that perhaps the high end sells the low, and as immature and ignorant as it may be, honestly I think that's why the Mongoose name isn't being taken too seriously yet.
I've always liked the bikes, but again had that back-of-my-mind feeling that I didnt want to have to explain or justify the bike everytime I drove to work with it on the back and why the guy with the $40 version shouldn't try to follow me down the big rocky hill!
I'm getting over it now, maybe because the more guys on $40 who follow me down the hill means fewer dumb questions the next day! But also because I see them for what they really are: Sick frames with phenomenal build kits. As dumb as it is, I really feel that that is what is holding Mongoose back yet.