Quantcast

Any 7" dual crowns still being made?

blacky

Monkey
Nov 1, 2001
sedona,az
i don't need anything bigger. the old 6" boxxer was fine for me. been using the 06' 7" boxxer ride for years. great fork. but i need a new one (hard to find) unless there is some other fork available.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
fox 40 can be internally adjusted down to 6.5in in .5in increments, that means you can make a fox 40 7in. or 7.5in,

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I'm sure any fork could have the travel reduced by placing a larger top out bumper/spring in, and a smaller coil. Not sure on some air sprung forks.
You'll be carrying the extra wieght and a touch of height though as you would for a 7" specific travel fork, but the height will probably be of benifit unless on an old bike.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm sure any fork could have the travel reduced by placing a larger top out bumper/spring in, and a smaller coil. Not sure on some air sprung forks.
You'll be carrying the extra wieght and a touch of height though as you would for a 7" specific travel fork, but the height will probably be of benifit unless on an old bike.
Not so much. It's actually way easier to drop air sprung forks. The problem with coils is that once you space out the top out bumper, the spring sticks out the top. I guess you covered that with "and a smaller coil" but that's easier said than done.

Also, not sure what you meant by that last sentence, but most 7" single crowns are pretty much the same height as 8" dual crowns.

blacky

Monkey
Nov 1, 2001
sedona,az
thanks guys.

any idea what the ride height is on the fox 40? height is an issue.

my current frame which i'm going to retire (with honors) is an 05' turner 6 pack (horst link). i'm going to replace it with a knolly dt. which - by some amazing coincidence - is nearly identical in geometry to the 6 pack.

the thing i like about boxxers is that they are so darn durable and relatively easy to maintain. not real tunable (older ones anyway). but i like a stiff set up anyway. for a mtb'er on a budget they fill the bill nicely.

the only fox product i've used is the dhx 5 (terrific durable shock). how does the 40 hold up?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Honestly, I wouldn't bother with a dual crown. Long travel single crowns have come a LONG way. I've ridden a Totem and a 32mm Boxxer back to back on the same bike down the same run (4200' of descending with a couple good rock gardens and a long off camber section that torques on a fork pretty hard) and the Totem was clearly stiffer. It's also lighter than (most) dual crowns, and doesn't limit turning radius. If you're just dropping the travel down anyway, what's the point? I'd get something like a Totem or 66 and rock that.

*spam* I am selling a Totem Solo Air if you're interested. Check the link in my signature.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
If you are going with a 40... They hold up well, but they need maintained. People blow seals, etc... because they don't change the oil frequently enough, don't change seals enough, clean out lowers, etc... I do mine about 3 times a year. I ride a lot during the summer months, and don't have issues. Mine is a 2007 by the way.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Not so much. It's actually way easier to drop air sprung forks. The problem with coils is that once you space out the top out bumper, the spring sticks out the top. I guess you covered that with "and a smaller coil" but that's easier said than done.Hacksaw, or good bike shop.

Also, not sure what you meant by that last sentence, but most 7" single crowns are pretty much the same height as 8" dual crowns.
But 7" tripples will be about an inch lower than 7" singles.
So by running tripples, he'll gain about an inch in space, or roughly 1degree steeper headangle, and lower bars.
If reducing travel on an 8" fork, he'll be running the un needed longer lowers, and extra overlapping stanchion, that's all I meant in my last sentence in first post. No big deal really.
I'd like some 6" tripples made as 6" triples also. Shame the Specialized ones were a flop, and the Mavericks weren't much chop either.
Yes 32mm Boxxers probably aren't as stiff as Totems, but 40s would be. 35mm stanchions would be heaps for 6-7" anyway.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
But 7" tripples will be about an inch lower than 7" singles.
So by running tripples, he'll gain about an inch in space, or roughly 1degree steeper headangle, and lower bars.
If reducing travel on an 8" fork, he'll be running the un needed longer lowers, and extra overlapping stanchion, that's all I meant in my last sentence in first post. No big deal really.
I'd like some 6" tripples made as 6" triples also. Shame the Specialized ones were a flop, and the Mavericks weren't much chop either.
Yes 32mm Boxxers probably aren't as stiff as Totems, but 40s would be. 35mm stanchions would be heaps for 6-7" anyway.
All true. It is possible to hack down a spring, I know. I've got a 110mm 36 Vanilla I did that with. No biggie. My point was more that it seems like an unnecessarily difficult way to get a reasonable fork for the bike. It'll be some extra weight and a loss of turning radius, etc, for what seems like minimal gain on what (I imagine?) will be used as an AM/FR bike.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I'd match the DT with a Lyrik. 6" of travel that will stand up to big guys and lots of abuse. Likely better damping than what you were used to as well. Unless you plan on dropping off buildings, then go Totem. No need for a dual crown fork on that frame. I'm not a small guy and my Lyrik has been fantastic. Just switched to a Totem which is crazy!

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I run a 7" Totem on my DT. I think that or the Lyric would be the way to go. No need to run a dual crown on that bike. It's a solid setup.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I think the 7" 40 sounds like the bee's knees. Gets me to thinking for a mini dh bike- you could have a front end as low as, or lower than a trail bike. That combined with a shortened shock to keep HA's the same could be a pretty sweet setup for smooth courses.
I think someone on here did this with an older turner and it looked pretty cool.
Also, if I remember correctly- when you shorten a spring, you also increase it's spring rate. So shortening a spring on a boxxer (along with the correct shimz) might actually work pretty well.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I think the 7" 40 sounds like the bee's knees. Gets me to thinking for a mini dh bike- you could have a front end as low as, or lower than a trail bike. That combined with a shortened shock to keep HA's the same could be a pretty sweet setup for smooth courses.
I think someone on here did this with an older turner and it looked pretty cool.
Also, if I remember correctly- when you shorten a spring, you also increase it's spring rate. So shortening a spring on a boxxer (along with the correct shimz) might actually work pretty well.
You're right on the spring rate thing. The math behind it's pretty simple, I can run through it at some point if anyone cares.

I'm planning to put my 110mm 36 on my Bottle Rocket, with the shock shortened to give similar travel and slacken/ lower it in a couple weeks when I will actually have time to mess around with stuff like that. I worked it out to giving me something like a 67 HTA and a 12.3" BB. Should be a fun little ripper like that.

SPDR

Monkey
Apr 21, 2006
Engerland
I'd fit a Boxxer World Cup (06-09 version) reduced down to 7" using the SRAM travel reducers for a Pike. Would be an awesome (relatively) lightweight fork and you can vary the springrate to suit the reduced travel.