Quantcast

Any advice for a newbie doing the SEA OTTER XC course

WarEagle2K

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Tucson, AZ
Greeting all. I am about to do my first XC race in a couple of weeks. It is the Sea Otter classic XC course..19 miles. I live out here and have ridden the course a couple of times, but have never raced. I usually use a camel back when racing, but I never see many of the pro's wearing them. Is it not a good idea? My plan is to just finish but faster than the training rides I have completed. Any suggestions are welcome..

Oct 2, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Since this is your first race I would use a camel back. The pros don't use them because it is extra weight and it hides their uniforms. Plus, they have a lot of experience with hydrating and drinking from bottles while racing. It is a long course for beginers, so just make sure you drink and eat gels during the race and pace yourself because of the long climb at the end. Sea Otter is a hard race for beginers and sport racers because there is about 1000 people on the course at one time, and it turns to single track pretty quickly after the start. Hopefully you are used to riding close to other people because the begining of the race is like rush hour on the freeway.

The biggest advice I have since it is your first race is to have fun.

DHinFool

Chimp
Jun 7, 2004
You are going to have a blast, the Sea Otter XC race is a lot of fun. It’s NASCAR on bikes.

Camelbacks are nice, but can be uncomfortable/ awkward. Do some training rides without one and see how it goes, you still have a couple weeks. Once one gets used to riding without one it's hard to go back. I never use one for XC any more.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
have fun! That is such a pretty course. If you have a smaller camelback (50 or 60oz) just wear that. I don't wear one during a race because they are uncomfortable and I can always find someone to hand me bottles each lap.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I have done the Sea Otter XC three or four times, and I've learned quite a bit. Pre-hydrate before the race by drinking at least half a gallon of water. I would do a full gallon, but if you aren't used to pre-hydrating you'll just want to pee every five minutes. Once you do this you can ditch the CamelBak, but still bring your 2 bottles. Be SURE to bring an extra tube and a good pump, because three minutes to change a flat in a 2 hour race will not be too much of a hastle. A lot of the beginners sprint out of the start only to die halfway up the first hill. Start quickly, but not at a 100% sprint. That way you can maintain a slightly faster than average pace up the first hill and work your way out front before the single track, yet not blow up from a huge sprint effort. Don't be afraid to pass people, because racing is no fun if you're stuck behind some slow fat dude. Other than that, stay focused, confident, and ride like you mean it. Whew, I'm done.