Quantcast

Any AtomLab Trailking owners?

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
So after about a month of narrowing down the choices for what I needed, I think the Trailking is the one, but of course I need to find out some things first...

Is anyone running then with 24's and a 465 fork? If so, whats the bottom bracket height?

How is the toe overlap for spinning that front end?

Aside from company's claims, is the chainstay REALLY 14.25 slammed?

Thanks guys, hopefully all of this checks out in my favor and I will decide on this new frame soon.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I was originally, and I had a few in mind. But with my preferences there were very few choices. The Atom Lab frame has shorter chainstays than most 24 specific frames (so they say). I wanted a longer top tube, and I wanted a higher bottom bracket. I also wanted 135 spacing, and disk tabs.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I was originally, and I had a few in mind. But with my preferences there were very few choices. The Atom Lab frame has shorter chainstays than most 24 specific frames (so they say). I wanted a longer top tube, and I wanted a higher bottom bracket. I also wanted 135 spacing, and disk tabs.
understandable, well post it back on here with any reviews because i am curious about that bike as well.

trailking26

Chimp
Feb 9, 2009
New York
Aside from company's claims, is the chainstay REALLY 14.25 slammed?
The 14.25 claim is true. (with most 2.3 slicks i might add!)
Don't know if a 24 would be possible tho, as the chain stay yoke "pinches" the diameter of a 26" tire. The narrowest part is right about where your 24" tire will bulge at it's widest.

Toe overlap is not bad, I think the TT is 17.5.(spec if you ridin' 24's!)
I ride goofy and bar-spin to the right. It took about three mishaps before I didn't notice the overlap any longer.

Last edited:

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Had several conversations with Mike about us getting EP from Atomlab, He said he is running his with 24 and a 2.3 with about 3mm of clearance on either side of the tire. Whats your bottom bracket height with 26's? lol sorry for the ?'s I like to get other riders opinions before I buy just about any frame, I was yakking TBC's ear off before I got my Bank.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I don't think it will be an issue, I will be running a 2.25 rear tire, and as long as we can get EP from them, a Chub Hub laced to an MTX rim, so it will be a pretty damn stiff wheel.

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
I don't think it will be an issue, I will be running a 2.25 rear tire, and as long as we can get EP from them, a Chub Hub laced to an MTX rim, so it will be a pretty damn stiff wheel.
You do realize that 0.05 inches is only 1.27 mm, right? So you'll have a whopping 3.64 mm of clearance on either side (assuming everyone knows how to measure correctly). Take out a ruler and see just how little 3.6 mm is, and you might rethink your decision. I'm not baggin on the frame, you might just consider a smaller tire if you're already committed to buying one.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I hope this works out for you, I have set up one (and ridden a couple more) 26 bikes with 24 wheels and I didn't like it at all. I ended up buying a 24 frame.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
You do realize that 0.05 inches is only 1.27 mm, right? So you'll have a whopping 3.64 mm of clearance on either side (assuming everyone knows how to measure correctly). Take out a ruler and see just how little 3.6 mm is, and you might rethink your decision. I'm not baggin on the frame, you might just consider a smaller tire if you're already committed to buying one.
The frame I am running right now has about 2mm of clearance on either side, with a 2.3, and I have had no issues whatsoever. Also. 2.25 for one company could be 1.95 for another or 2.4 for another. I'll be using Specialized Rhythm Lites, and they tend to run a bit small. :)