Quantcast

any chance for....

Feb 7, 2007
Vernon, New Jersey
maybe a teeter or a few more skinnys. maybe make an easy skinny over near the new stuff your building
Absolutely. In the coming weeks, located near the upper section of Greenhorn will be the Greenhorn Progression Zone featuring several features and options designed to help riders gain confidence and basic riding skills.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
There's already a skinny up near the upper part of greenhorn. I rode it two weekends ago. I'm assuming that's where the progression zone will be being built, up in that area.

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
The stuff on OTB is presumably staying put. The new trail, Deviant, starts after you cross the fire road (by the start of Lower Dominion).

However, I was mentioning to my buddies that it would be a stellar idea to build the crap out of Mornin' Wood into a more suitably named trail: basically from its original start by Salvation down to its merge with Greenhorn should be 80% wood - rollers, optional skinnies, teeters, step ups and step downs, etc. with only a couple spots here and there to touch dirt. North Shore on the East Coast! (though Highland Park has the right idea...)

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
3 things... A satellite dish, 1 or 2 bigger (20-30ft) kickers with nice landings, and a bigger drop. These all I would enjoy, and I think a lot of other people.

A spine would be super sweet, but I don't know how it would work on an 8" travel bike. A quarter pipe would also be awesome, plus not to much maintnence on it.

Edit: and a berm to berm jump, how sweet would that be?!?! Thanks for all your hard work this season so far. It has already been amazing riding there!

Fall Guy

Chimp
Sep 4, 2007
The stuff on OTB is presumably staying put. The new trail, Deviant, starts after you cross the fire road (by the start of Lower Dominion).

However, I was mentioning to my buddies that it would be a stellar idea to build the crap out of Mornin' Wood into a more suitably named trail: basically from its original start by Salvation down to its merge with Greenhorn should be 80% wood - rollers, optional skinnies, teeters, step ups and step downs, etc. with only a couple spots here and there to touch dirt. North Shore on the East Coast! (though Highland Park has the right idea...)
I concur with Spylab:lighten:

Feb 7, 2007
Vernon, New Jersey
There's tons of more improvements coming this season and already to date we have invested more resources, both financial and labor than any other season to date.

Some of these new features/concepts have already been announced, some have not. The progression zone will receive regular additions to create the ultimate learning area by season's end/09, featuring various lines, options and terrain elements paralleling the current greenhorn. Some of these features will be dirt and wood elements, but purely to inspire confidence and build bike skills.

There will be more new machined trails and more non-machined trails, however we have no plans to recreate the north shore at Diablo and for good reason.

Hamburgler

Chimp
Aug 25, 2004
Yes yes yes....you guys make the decision a lot easier for those of us living equal distance from diablo, and the other mountains up north. The mountain just keeps getting better.

Just one thing...i understand about branching to newer riders for business and progression. But who is the target market? Kids on hardtails with v-brakes? Or is the plan to have people rent? To attract people from the water park?

With the location and how the trails connect (salvation-greenhorn), greenhorn is not smooth at all. Its full of braking bumps from "advanced" riders ripping it, same goes for alpine. I'm no beginner, but i even get "tailgated" from rippers doing top to bottom runs on greenhorn, and alpine. Its all about courtesy and ettiquette here, but some of these pinners dont understand that they are riding a trail meant for beginners. Seems like these trails shouldn't be connected to the main lines, but i DO realize thats not always possible. Its going to be a big turn off to newbies when some dude in a race kit is yelling at them to move.

My .02

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
Yes yes yes....you guys make the decision a lot easier for those of us living equal distance from diablo, and the other mountains up north. The mountain just keeps getting better.

Just one thing...i understand about branching to newer riders for business and progression. But who is the target market? Kids on hardtails with v-brakes? Or is the plan to have people rent? To attract people from the water park?

With the location and how the trails connect (salvation-greenhorn), greenhorn is not smooth at all. Its full of braking bumps from "advanced" riders ripping it, same goes for alpine. I'm no beginner, but i even get "tailgated" from rippers doing top to bottom runs on greenhorn, and alpine. Its all about courtesy and ettiquette here, but some of these pinners dont understand that they are riding a trail meant for beginners. Seems like these trails shouldn't be connected to the main lines, but i DO realize thats not always possible. Its going to be a big turn off to newbies when some dude in a race kit is yelling at them to move.

My .02
Alpine is an advanced trail, not meant for beginners.

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
Is it such a hardship to move over 2 feet?

When I have Pro's & Experts run up on me in race practice & I just move over, if you can tuck in behind them, you may even learn a thing or two.

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
Is it such a hardship to move over 2 feet?

When I have Pro's & Experts run up on me in race practice & I just move over, if you can tuck in behind them, you may even learn a thing or two.

I think it is a little different in race practice as opposed to making someone move on Greenhorn... or atleast the first parts of Greenhorn. (maybe after salvation but still, people just need to get over themselves and have fun)

You have to take the race course to practice but faster people don't need to take Greenhorn to get to Lower Dominion or something like that. Let beginners have their fun too and sure if they see you are behind them and they move then cool but don't ride their tail yelling for them to move.

Feb 7, 2007
Vernon, New Jersey
Let beginners have their fun too and sure if they see you are behind them and they move then cool but don't ride their tail yelling for them to move.
Exactly! Especially on a beginner trail. Riders need to understand that every run does not need to be a 'race-run' and there should be NO race-runs on greenhorn. Lastly, many riders have the dilusion that the rider below you must yield to the rider above....This is not the case and unless you are on a race-course, the rider below you ALWAYS has right of way. Yield to the downhilll rider!

Please be respectful to all riders on the mountain no matter what their ability levels may be. The sport and attendance at Diablo is growing at staggering rates, the riding community should be embracing new riders, not deterring them.

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
It's great that so many new folks are exploring the sport, for sure Shawn, but I would strongly consider printing up a less verbose Responsibility Code on postcards that would be handed out to all non-season pass holders. Not only to reaffirm the above statements in regard to right-of-way on the mountain, but outlining situational safety such as stopping/walking on the trails and recourse in case of broken parts/minor injuries. It is as much a new rider's responsibility to know and abide by the rules of the mountain as it is a regular rider.

First, as a beginner DH'er, I truly appreciate the work that DIablo and it's crews are putting in, and I REALLY appreciate the chance to have terrain and obstacles and "stunts" to LEARN on. Dh'ing is very intimidating and having the opportunity to learn PROGRESSIVELY and on things made to inspire confidence and give riders a new set of skills, is what the DH community needs.

ALso I will yield when able and if I'm on a BEGINNERS trail, learning, spending my money to ride, the "more advanced" riders, who happen to be ripping the BEGINNERS trail, need to yield to the slower, more unsure riders, and not scare the crap out of them, it's called courtesy. If I happen onto a more advanced trail, I will ALWAYS yield to the better rider, and I will not tailgate the rider in front of me.

with that being said....I CANNOT WAIT TO GET BACK ON THE MOUNTAIN and try out the new, confidence inspiring(for this old azz newbie) runs. THANKS GUYS!!!

Feb 7, 2007
Vernon, New Jersey
It's great that so many new folks are exploring the sport, for sure Shawn, but I would strongly consider printing up a less verbose Responsibility Code on postcards that would be handed out to all non-season pass holders. Not only to reaffirm the above statements in regard to right-of-way on the mountain, but outlining situational safety such as stopping/walking on the trails and recourse in case of broken parts/minor injuries. It is as much a new rider's responsibility to know and abide by the rules of the mountain as it is a regular rider.
The responsibility code is clearly posted on EVERY lift ticket purchased/issued at Diablo. This is a common practice at resorts and creating separate post-cards would not only be cost prohibitive, but most of them would end up in the garbage.

New riders do need to learn the ways of the mountain, however, veteran riders should also be setting a good example. This is not rocket science and a little mutual courtesy and respect goes along way.

In addition, we will be installing many more signs particularly in the Greenhorn Progression Zone to help create awareness and introduce the "Smart Style" program borrowed from snowboarding.

Last edited:
You know I agree with the above as far as posting and distributing a "hard" set of rules or guidelines. But isn't the basic courtesy( no tailgating, no standing in the middle of a trail or jump, no being a dickhead, etc , etc, etc) universal? I mean the same guidelines apply to XC as well as DH. So a rider who is coming to the mountain for the first time, should already have a sense of being a good human, a good rider, and a courteous person.

BUT.....posting the rules and regulations is a MUST, because some people are just plain stupid, and some folks just don;t give a sh^t. I think maybe the postcard idea is a good idea. Give it out to people when they get their lift ticket, so they can read it before they run. OR maybe put a sticker inside of each gondola as a "friendly reminder"

My two cents!

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
I think it is a little different in race practice as opposed to making someone move on Greenhorn... or atleast the first parts of Greenhorn. (maybe after salvation but still, people just need to get over themselves and have fun)

You have to take the race course to practice but faster people don't need to take Greenhorn to get to Lower Dominion or something like that. Let beginners have their fun too and sure if they see you are behind them and they move then cool but don't ride their tail yelling for them to move.
Did I say anything about yelling at them?

I've moved over for many faster riders & I can't remember anyone asking, but almost everyone has said 'thanks'.

It's just a matter of common courtesy, just like on the road you shouldn't tailgate, but you shouldn't be a road hog either.

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
There is a big enough community of riders on this forum. We might as well step up and work towards improving the respect on the mountain, because we can't actually expect Diablo to baby sit every rider.

If you see a new rider stopped on the trail or doing something than can get someone really hurt, take 30 seconds out of your run and just be cool and let them know the rules of the road and the dangers involved in what they are doing.

Same for the guys bullying newbies off the trails; if you see someone tailgating or hustling new riders around, just break it down and try and get them to see the bigger picture.

If a few people make it a point to confront these situations on the trail regularly, slowly everyone will develop the same responsibility and respect.

(Though I still think a more obvious responsibility code wouldn't hurt).

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
OR maybe put a sticker inside of each gondola as a "friendly reminder"

My two cents!

If that happens, you will be verbally attacked by a certain lift attendant... even though you wouldn't be the one putting the sticker in each cab.

jimbones

Chimp
Oct 19, 2006
I have to agree with the Diablo mgmt here. There is a whole slew of challenging terrain at Diablo. Unfortunealtely not a lot of intermedite. Greenhorn is a little too easy. So trying to build some intermediate stuff for riders to get better makes god business sense.It is exactly what the ski area's do. There is more money in the beginner-intermediate market than the experts only market.

I like the Idea that I can start my day on Greehorn progress to Twist, tempest and Bushwack. I'm not good enough yet for exodous or BMW.

rossp

Chimp
Jul 26, 2007
everyone should remember all their good online ideas when they hit the trails. Last time at Diablo I saw someone pass a guy on Alpine just around the merge with Domboo - the guy who was going slow didn't move over and didnt' look like he was expecting to be passed - from his body language / bike movement after I got the impression he got a shock.....that's just not smart passing and a great way to put developing riders off. We all start somewhere and that's the only way to progress - ride up to and beyond your limits....

(rant over - and no, I have no idea who it was and don't really care...) :cheers:

Feb 7, 2007
Vernon, New Jersey
3 things... A satellite dish, 1 or 2 bigger (20-30ft) kickers with nice landings, and a bigger drop.
Good vision!

Satellite dish....Not one, but two are in the works in the coming weeks! The ParkLogic crew will be utilizing our metal-fab experience to create 2 unique, super-sturdy satellite dishes. The initial metal-framed kickers that we were the first to design and implement as 'proto's' have been a huge hit and we are moving forward with the next phase...

At least one new u-kicker will be built and to much larger scale! The new SkullCandy kicker will be longer, taller and will be installed covertly near the upper dominion area as part of a new project.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
OR maybe put a sticker inside of each gondola as a "friendly reminder"
I think that's a good idea. Or even a laminated sheet ziptied to one of the poles that connect the top of the gondola to the walls. I would imagine that especially for people that take the gondola on their own, it'd be nice to read ANYTHING while you're up there, haha.

The initial metal-framed kickers that we were the first to design and implement as 'proto's' have been a huge hit and we are moving forward with the next phase...

At least one new u-kicker will be built and to much larger scale! The new SkullCandy kicker will be longer, taller and will be installed covertly near the upper dominion area as part of a new project.
I love it when the Diablo staff talks about this stuff as if it's like top secret government activity or some sort of mad scientist laboratory. Gets me so psyched to ride. And I'm not even being sarcastic.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Good vision!

Satellite dish....Not one, but two are in the works in the coming weeks! The ParkLogic crew will be utilizing our metal-fab experience to create 2 unique, super-sturdy satellite dishes. The initial metal-framed kickers that we were the first to design and implement as 'proto's' have been a huge hit and we are moving forward with the next phase...

I loved that step up this weekend on the race course. That thing was so fun. Also, that hip at the end of upper dominion is great! Thanks for all the work you've put out so far this season.

1 suggestion. Please make one of the new kickers give you some real air. Long distance if fun, but long distance with some real height is even more fun.

Example:

And to keep riders from begginer to expert riding, and be happy, ideas implemented like this might take less work to please everyone (jumps side by side):
http://www.pinkbike.com/video/1380/ ---between 55 and 135.

I'm sure a lot of this was already thought out, but just some ideas. Thanks a lot for all you have already made possible on the mountain.

Last edited: