Quantcast

Any diabetics out there? Need some advice.

zibbler

Monkey
When I was pregnant with my son I had gestational diabetes. I was told I would likely wind up being diabetic at some point. Six years ago I had blood sugar tests done (fasting) and was diagnosed as glucose intolerant (borderline diabetes).

Over the past couple of months I've been pretty good about keeping my carbs under control. I don't eat processed stuff (like white rice or pasta) and only eat low carb veggies and fruits along with adequate protein and healthy fats. I started watching what I eat because I've been showing some symptoms of diabetes (slow to heal, bruise easily, tired a lot, eyesight going downhill).

Anyhoo, I haven't been retested because I still don't have insurance, but I'm starting to get worried that I might have full blown diabeties at this point. Last week I worked out pretty hard one day, then the next day I didn't eat much (didn't have much of an appetite), and went for a ride later the same day. When I got home I still wasn't hungry, so didn't eat dinner. All of the sudden as I was sitting at my computer I started to feel really light headed, queasy, and felt like I was about to black out. I felt very shakey and had to lay down. Hubby got me some toast with jam and 1/2 an orange. That seemed to help. I'm thinking my blood sugar got real low. But, I'm wondering. Does that sound like diabetes symptoms, or just a case of hypoglycemia from not eating enough, then exerting myself. There've been a few other times I've felt like I was about to black out too.

Originally posted by zibbler

Last week I worked out pretty hard one day, then the next day I didn't eat much (didn't have much of an appetite), and went for a ride later the same day. When I got home I still wasn't hungry, so didn't eat dinner. All of the sudden as I was sitting at my computer I started to feel really light headed, queasy, and felt like I was about to black out. I felt very shakey and had to lay down.
sounds like the lack of eating would have that affect on anyone.

GO EAT!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
zibbler why dont you eat?you know ill take ya out to dinner anytime ya want. just got to get rid of that pesky husband.:p :D actually i experience hypoglycemia often and i usually eat close to 4 full meals a day. but just for safety sake you might want to get checked out again.

I ACTUALLY GET TO RIDE TOMORROW!

bushwacker

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
Norcal :/
Originally posted by zibbler

All of the sudden as I was sitting at my computer I started to feel really light headed, queasy, and felt like I was about to black out. I felt very shakey and had to lay down. Hubby got me some toast with jam and 1/2 an orange. That seemed to help.

My wife has had Type 1 Diabetes since she was 9 years old.

I don't want to tell you this, but for my wife and I, when she say's she is "feeling shakey" that is basically our code for 'dump the rawest form of sugar you can find down my throat without killing or drowning me'

Go get tested again.

cliffster5

In dog years I'm dead
Aug 23, 2001
Salinas, CA

zibbler

Monkey
Originally posted by bushwacker
My wife has had Type 1 Diabetes since she was 9 years old.

I don't want to tell you this, but for my wife and I, when she say's she is "feeling shakey" that is basically our code for 'dump the rawest form of sugar you can find down my throat without killing or drowning me'

Go get tested again.
It doesn't happen very often, but when I have missed a meal or am late eating I will get shakey, and I know it's time to eat something. I feel best when I eat a small meal every 2 - 3 hours.

zibbler

Monkey
Originally posted by cliffster5
Hey Zib, check out this link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1558746803/qid=1062047181/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/103-0891406-0644613

been on the plan for 6 weeks. Written by an endocrinologist who specializes in diabetes. Low carb program more user friendly than Atkins. I've been losing weight steadily the last 6 weeks and not too hungry (kind of a rare thing for me). Good luck. Hope you and the family are doing well.
Thanks for the well wishes Cliffster. I actually have that book. I'll have to read it again. I've been kinda doing my own version of Atkins. Not so much for weight loss (although that is a nice side effect :) ) but more to keep my blood sugar on an even keel. As long as I eat a small meal every 2 or 3 hours, I feel pretty good. I pretty much just cut out all refined sugars and starches and eat lean protein, lots of fresh veggies and drink plenty of water.