Quantcast

Any experience with magnesium frames?

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
There was one talked about around 10 years ago, but they never went too far. I seem to recall it was a one peice casting?? I think I saw some bikes made with magnesium tubing too recently but I can't put my finger on any names. Did you try a search on Google?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Well, I wouldn't jump a magnesium bike through a flaming hoop, that's for sure.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
s1ngletrack said:
Sounds kind of spooky to me - new meaning to the term "catastrophic failure" - but then I have never seen a Mag. frame
I don't know about that, a lot of XC forks have magnesium lowers. Like Rock Shox, some Manitous I think are Magnesium.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
oldfart said:
I don't know about that, a lot of XC forks have magnesium lowers. Like Rock Shox, some Manitous I think are Magnesium.
My Marzocchi does. I don't think they'd use it if it wasn't up to the task. It's curious that you don't see frames since it is light and strong. Too costly?

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
cdwilson said:
I found another company: Merida www.merida-bikes.com
It looks like the woman's olympic gold medal and men's silver were won on Merida magnesium frames. Maybe they're onto something.?

mag is a difficult material to make frames out of. it's difficult to weld. a few major companies have messed with it to only abandon the entire project. it works well for linkage systems b/c you can mill (machine) it or cast it....pretty light weight shiet. the other reason is extrusion processes of aluminum have been refined so much that the weight and strength is there so kinda eliminated the want or need for a mag frame.......

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
MikeD said:
Well, I wouldn't jump a magnesium bike through a flaming hoop, that's for sure.
Although the resulting bright-white flame would be cool to see.

If Mg has a good strength-to-weight ratio, I would imagine it would be quite light, since Mg is light by volume both Al and Ti.