Quantcast

Any Foes FXR riders out there?

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
I have a Foes FXR frame that I am going to build up and am wondering what forks you guys are using. My buddy at the LBS suggested to use one of the 130mm Fox Talas forks. I was considering a Marzocchi Z1 or perhaps one of the Manitou Sherman Flicks or Fireflys. I am certain I want a 5" fork and can go with either a 20mm axle or standard QR.

What are your suggestions?

Anyone have a decent 5" fork to trade for a freshly rebuilt Monster T? It is an early 7" Monster that is all polished and in great shape. Brand new seal kit, fresh Golden Spectro 7.5 and unridden since being rebuilt last week. It also has 9" steerer tube.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
I've got an FXR. Running a Fox Vanilla. Handles well both climbing and descending. I don't think I would like the ride as well with any taller of a fork. Depending on the stem size you use, it could be a handfull to keep on line while climbing. I think the Talas would be a great choice.

flyboy

Chimp
Jun 18, 2004
Kirkland, WA
you need to determine your riding style. The frame sets alot of it, but so does how you build up the bike. I like a little more freeride and I'm more into the down direction - I run a Z1FR. If you're a climber and don't need the sus go with a lighter, less travel fork. It's up to you. First figure that out, and then go to a shop and see what works.

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
Wow, this thread is still alive.

Well, to the one guy, the Monster T is long gone and as for that 2003 Z1FR for $300, I think you are dreaming. You'll be lucky to get $225 for it.

I ended up building my FXR with a Pike Team and I love the fork. My bike is built more freeride than cross country . I have it set up with Mavic D521's on Hadley hubs, Kenda Kinetics Stick E in the rear and a Kenda Blue Grove in the front. , Hayes Hydros, XT drivetrain with a Raceface Atlas crank, Thomson Stem and seatpost, WTB Power V, Ea 70 Bars and I have it set up in the 5.75" travel setting. It's a large 2003 frame and the whole thing weighs in at 34lbs. This bike is worth more than my car.