Quantcast

Any Gemini Owners out there in the Lounge?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
If so, what model, what year and how do you like your Gemini??

Oh yeah, and did the 2002s have just the bigger C-Dale Headtube or are they true 1.5" head tubes??? :think:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Got an 05 Gemini DH...like it a lot. Freeride-y geometry, but I like it. Racy enough for me, but if you run it with less sag (you're supposed to run like 40% sag), it's a little higher and steeper...turns on a dime despite being a little higher than some other bikes. Not super-stiff, I'm told, but I don't feel too much flex. Then again, since Big Bear is closed, I can't take it on super high-speed bermy DH stuff. Rides light...not a super squish machine. Likes to go over rather than through.

All in all, the Geminis are nice, light platforms that ride well...I'm getting a Prophet 4x as a trailbike now, too...

I'm sure you've been on the mtbr Cannondale forums about them as well...more of a fan site than a real unbiased opinion, though. Great CDale info there on stuff like the HT of various models, though... (I signed on as AgentX there when I had Prophet ?s...)

MD

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Looking at a used 2002 Gemini 2000 frame that has a pushed vanilla RC - the rider is the same weight as me. But looking at it as more of a versatile Fs bike that can handle trail riding and the occassional trip to Mt. Snow, Jiminy Peak, etc. etc.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
MMcG said:
Looking at a used 2002 Gemini 2000 frame that has a pushed vanilla RC - the rider is the same weight as me. But looking at it as more of a versatile Fs bike that can handle trail riding and the occassional trip to Mt. Snow, Jiminy Peak, etc. etc.
Friend of a friend had an 02 or 03 gemini with an 02 Super T up front, and it was light as hell even with the DC fork, and made a great technical trailbike with some occasional hard use at lift-assist venues. I think it'd be perfect, unless you wanted to spring for a Prophet, which might be even better with the changable geometry (laid-back trailbike at 69/13.7" or substantially-slack-and-low at 67/13"). The gemini is non-adjustable, no?

Then again, just go for it...they're really nice bikes. Bullit-esque, but lighter and more nimble-feeling IMHO.

-MD

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Mike - what's the approximate weight of the frame. I bet your friends was an 02 - they came stock with super Ts - is it a red frame with silver swingarm?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
MMcG said:
Mike - what's the approximate weight of the frame. I bet your friends was an 02 - they came stock with super Ts - is it a red frame with silver swingarm?
Hmm, too bad I don't recall exactly how much this friend-of-a-friend's frame weighed when I pulled it off to the trailside on one of our rides, stripped it to the frame with my multitool, and weighed it on hanging scale I keep in my Camelbak.

Honestly, I have no idea on the frame-only weight...all I know is the completed bike weighed a lot less than I expected it to (and even then I can't give you a real weight, just that impression.) This is a good question for the Cannondale MTBR forum...someone will know down to the gram.

It was red, I think, with polished swingarm and polished superT...so I guess it was an 02. Super-nice ride!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Just thought you might have known since you have the Green Gemini DH - thanks for your input on your Gemini impressions though.

I'll see what the folks on empty beer have to say.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
MtnBikerChk said:
Mark "I've decided that light bikes are more fun."

I'd provide alternatives but when I ask you what you want in a bike you say "I don't know." :dancing:
Light bikes are fun - but a bike with three different rear travel settings, and lighter than other FR frames (Bullit, 2Step, etc.) could be really fun too.

I guess my light bikes are more fun comment stemmed from the heavy weight (in my opinion) of my Iron Horse frame. For a 4.5" trail bike frame, the HP was kinda porky in my opinion (probably close to 7 pounds if not more). I'm not sure of the weight of the Gemini frame - but for the amount of travel it provides, I think it's on the lighter side of the spectrum vs. it's competition.

And in a way I kinda miss my Cheeta Prowler. :(

stuntmatty

Thnikkaman
Oct 2, 2003
Bike Hater Central
MMcG said:
Howdy MMcG!

I have an 05 Gemini that was given to me by C-dale under warranty. I destroyed my 2002 Gemini slowly after 2 full seasons.

First thing that went was the swingarm. Mostly my fault for riding like a hack, but C-Dale told me that there were design flaws with the original swingarms found on all 2002, 2003 models and 2004 900 models. If you look at the the 2004/05 swingarm you'll see the changes. Beefier build and 12mm thru axel. The 12mm axel made a big difference for me, stiffness I felt right away.

I would advise you not to buy a gemini with the old swingarm. If it goes south the cost of replacement is $400 - $500 if you can't warranty it.

Instigator and I were doing a full overhaul over the winter when I noticed the downtube was cracked just below the weld behind the head tube. Again C-dale took good care of me with no questions asked.

When I got me new frame I noticed a gusset in the spot were I had cracked the downtube. Props to C-dale for making improvments and taking care of me. I've ridden that bike hard and abused the hell out it. The frame took alot of abuse before it died.

The weight of the frame is only 1lbs more than the Jekyll, but I don't remember the exact number.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Thank you Matty - I think I will steer clear of said frame since I'd be buying it used and it would be a major PITA if something were to go wrong with it.

Maybe what I really need is a nice fairly light 5 and 5 type of FS bike that I can take off the occasional puny drop that my skills can handle.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
MMcG said:
Maybe what I really need is a nice fairly light 5 and 5 type of FS bike that I can take off the occasional puny drop that my skills can handle.
That's why I'm getting the Prophet. Dunno how much DH I'll be doing with my new job, so wanted something I could ride up (without it being a supreme uncomfortable sacrifice to do), adjust the geo, and rock it on the way down. Getting the 4x version for the 12mm rear end & because it's more likely to be considered 'acceptable use' if I am getting some air on it.

MD

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
MikeD said:
That's why I'm getting the Prophet. Dunno how much DH I'll be doing with my new job, so wanted something I could ride up (without it being a supreme uncomfortable sacrifice to do), adjust the geo, and rock it on the way down. Getting the 4x version for the 12mm rear end & because it's more likely to be considered 'acceptable use' if I am getting some air on it.

MD
Prophets are nice - but hard to find in my frame budget - which is paltry!

stuntmatty

Thnikkaman
Oct 2, 2003
Bike Hater Central
MMcG said:
Thank you Matty - I think I will steer clear of said frame since I'd be buying it used and it would be a major PITA if something were to go wrong with it.

My other bike is a Heckler that I use as a light FR/XC bike. That might suit your needs very well.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
stuntmatty said:
My other bike is a Heckler that I use as a light FR/XC bike. That might suit your needs very well.
I've been telling him that for ages!! :mumble:

:D

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I was looking at the Prophet, the SC Blur 4x, and the Heckler...went w/ the Prophet b/c of the longer TT, shorter chainstays, and ajustable geometry. But the Heckler's still a sweet ride, and if it fits you better, MMcG, you really should consider it...the shorter TT might suit you anyhow, from what I recall you saying of your proportions. I'm taller, but I have short legs, so I like low/long bikes.

MD