Quantcast

Any monkeys using a reel mower?

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
The wife and I have been thinking about getting a reel mower to replace our gas powered one.

[edit: sorry for the messed up link, once posted I couldn't get it to work]

As usual any input or comments are appreciated on this subject.........

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
I have a Scott push mower... No gas,,, just legs... It does a GREAT job but it requires one to cut every week for sure ( doesnt work well with a grass over 2 inches high ). The "cut" you get from a Push type mower is the result of a scissor acton rather than a whacking off like you get with a belcher, so the results are visibly nicer.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
splat said:
Must have some really tough grass to need that!!!!

either that or its the worng link
Yeah, I think Andy posted the wrong link. I just used the search box to find out what a "reel mower" actually was.

I use a gas powered Honda push mower, so I can't be of any help here...

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I used to use one and it worked pretty well. Like Clark Kent said, you can't let the grass get high. The only reason I switched was that the new house has a wicked patch of thick Zoysia/Bermuda that it wouldn't cut very well. The reel worked well with the Kentucky Bluegrass types.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I pushed a reel mower for 10 years living with my dad. It cut the St. Augustine grass like it was nothing. Always left the lawn lookin nice too. Self propelled, all I had to do was hold a lever and walk behind it.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
They work well, and of course as mentioned just dont let the grass get too long because it wont work well. Just keep on top of that and get the blade sharpened and you'll be fine. You will notice when the blade is close to a needed sharpening that the grass blades will look ripped as opposed to cut.

J

JRB

I'm sure the hippy, S.S. has one. Heaven knows he is too retro to use a gas mower. :think:

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Cooter Brown said:
I have been wanting to get one for some time now, and will before the end of mowing season this year
You want my old one? I can bring it down to the Chadwick race.

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
I used to use one on my grandma's lawn. They are actually alot easier thas a gas one, IMO, and the new ones are probably alot lighter than that old one was.

Now can you mount that on the front of a fixie for some hi-speed velomowing?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
loco said:
I'm sure the hippy, S.S. has one. Heaven knows he is too retro to use a gas mower. :think:
Damn straight I do.

Problem is it cuts too short.

And the long grass thing is definitely a problem. Especially for us lazy bahstids.

I'm gonna get an electric mower at some point fairly soon.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
SkaredShtles said:
That is what I got to replace my reel mower.

Damn, I sound like I'm a hippy too. :think:

Anyway, the electric has plenty of power and the cord isn't a problem now that I have figured out the right pattern to mow the yard.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Yeah it is hard to find someone to sharpen the reel, its a pain to do. Or just get one of those electric robot ones mows the lawn for you.

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
Damn straight I do.

Problem is it cuts too short.

And the long grass thing is definitely a problem. Especially for us lazy bahstids.

Surprise. I knew I could count on you, Hippy.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
thats what i'll be getting when i get a mower. i figure it will be the least likely mower to get stolen by a crackhead out of my backyard.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I have the reel mower that the former tenants left behind, works great.

I have one of the biggest lawns in the neighborhhod - the old man accross the street looks at me like I'm insane for cutting it w/ out a power mower.

It's a good workout.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
H8R said:
I have the reel mower that the former tenants left behind, works great.

I have one of the biggest lawns in the neighborhhod - the old man accross the street looks at me like I'm insane for cutting it w/ out a power mower.

It's a good workout.
How big is that? Just curious.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Cooter Brown said:
hells yeah man! if you are wanting to rid yourself of it, then surely
it is yours then (assuming Aaron's girlfriend lets me throw a lawnmower in the back of her car along with the other stuff)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Westy said:
How big is that? Just curious.
I dunno...it's two sections on a corner lot, about 1600 sqft total.

It's a bitch if I skip a week.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
DNA said:
any, I can appreciate both the finest microbrews and the cheapest swill

I shall bring you a 30 of Hamm's then.................. :cool: nah, I wouldn't do that to ya, but some beer will be included in the stores of the trip tagged just for ya. Or better yet, what do you prefer to drink? And if it's available, I'll bring some

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
my beers of choice lately have been Stag, Schlafly Oatmeal Stout, Blue Paddle and Labatt's