Quantcast

Any more in depth TR450 reviews out there?

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
I'm trying to decide what bike to pick up for the year, and it's between the Yeti 303R DH and the Transition TR450. I've read enough about the Yeti to get a feel for what kind of bike it will be, but have only seen short "it's awesome" descriptions about the TR450.

I know a few of you have been on these for a while, any more detailed impressions now?

Mainly, how does it handle sharp hits, and rough, high speed sections? I'm sure everything else about it is dialed, but these are the two main areas of importance for the mountains I ride. Also, any weaknesses or downsides you have found?

Dawson308

Chimp
May 14, 2008
Roseville, CA
I'm trying to decide what bike to pick up for the year, and it's between the Yeti 303R DH and the Transition TR450. I've read enough about the Yeti to get a feel for what kind of bike it will be, but have only seen short "it's awesome" descriptions about the TR450.

I know a few of you have been on these for a while, any more detailed impressions now?

Mainly, how does it handle sharp hits, and rough, high speed sections? I'm sure everything else about it is dialed, but these are the two main areas of importance for the mountains I ride. Also, any weaknesses or downsides you have found?

I would also like to hear some more in-depth reviews on the TR-450. I saw one a couple of weeks ago and they look really sweet. Are they even available right now? From what I have heard they were very hard to get a hold of. It seems like a lot of manufacturers under-produced this year. I just had to decide between a 2010 303R-DH and a 2010 Glory. I went with the 2010 303R-DH and Yeti had the bike to me within two weeks. Availability may be a major determining factor for you in your decision. I'm VERY happy with my Yeti if you have any questions about it. Sorry if I got a little off topic from what you were asking but I thought that might be helpful.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
I would also like to hear some more in-depth reviews on the TR-450. I saw one a couple of weeks ago and they look really sweet. Are they even available right now? From what I have heard they were very hard to get a hold of. It seems like a lot of manufacturers under-produced this year. I just had to decide between a 2010 303R-DH and a 2010 Glory. I went with the 2010 303R-DH and Yeti had the bike to me within two weeks. Availability may be a major determining factor for you in your decision. I'm VERY happy with my Yeti if you have any questions about it. Sorry if I got a little off topic from what you were asking but I thought that might be helpful.
Now that you mention it, I do have some Yeti questions.
How often do you have to maintain the rail cart? One of the things that appealed to me about the TR450 is that it's designed to be a low maintenance ride.

How does it handle the really rough stuff? I know it was designed to be more of a 'playful' bike than the original 303, and meant for smoother courses. However, I need a bike that can handle every course, since I can't afford multiple DH bikes.

Also, does no one have a personal TR450 review?!

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Well I've had my TR450 for awhile now and love it. It doesn't do anything weird and handles pretty much everything I throw at it. The only other frame I'd probably consider is the banshee legend. I'd still buy the Transition again though.

Dawson308

Chimp
May 14, 2008
Roseville, CA
Now that you mention it, I do have some Yeti questions.
How often do you have to maintain the rail cart? One of the things that appealed to me about the TR450 is that it's designed to be a low maintenance ride.

How does it handle the really rough stuff? I know it was designed to be more of a 'playful' bike than the original 303, and meant for smoother courses. However, I need a bike that can handle every course, since I can't afford multiple DH bikes.

Also, does no one have a personal TR450 review?!
After every ride I wipe the rail off with a paper towel, pump a couple pumps of grease into the grease port and jump up and down on it. I will probably remove the car at the end of the season and clean/replace the bearings. I would not worry about the rail at all. I actually really like the rail system so far.
This bike seems to do everything well. It jumps very well, corners awesome, the suspension is very active. It handles the rough very well too. While I'm sure it doesn't "plow" as well as something like the V-10, I find myself poping over rocks with easy which seems to allow me to carry more speed at times. I just rode a nasty rockgarden on our local trail on Sunday and the 303R ate it up!
My bike weights about 41.8 lbs. While it isn't as light as a lot of the trendy light dh bikes out now, I feel a lot bettter knowing my frame isn't going to dent as easy when I eat **** in a bunch of rocks. The frame is very stout for the weight and I think it will last for many seasons.
I would think the TR-450 is a durable frame as well and I don 't think you could go wrong with either bike.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
Dawson308 is the almost 42 lbs the weight on the complete Yeti or did you buy the frame and build it up? I've been considering one and hadn't heard anything about the weight yet.

Dawson308

Chimp
May 14, 2008
Roseville, CA
Dawson308 is the almost 42 lbs the weight on the complete Yeti or did you buy the frame and build it up? I've been considering one and hadn't heard anything about the weight yet.
I have the yeti build kit with shifter/der, cranks and brakes upgraded to saint, deity dirty 30 bar, race face atlas fr stem, stock big betty dh casing tires ghetto tubeless. Those are the changes from the stock build kit. I would guess weight would prob. Be pretty close.