Quantcast

Any news on those proto Spesh pedals?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'm sure Jason will post an update after the holidays. I'm stoked to get on a set as well.
I really hope they wont be stupid expensive since Im a bit underwhelmed with my current pedals that normally cost a ton and I dont really want to experiment again for many times the price of my wah wahs that still work great.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I really hope they wont be stupid expensive since Im a bit underwhelmed with my current pedals that normally cost a ton and I dont really want to experiment again for many times the price of my wah wahs that still work great.
I'm in the same boat. I have a couple of pairs of REALLY expensive pedals that just don;t seem to work as well as those old Konas or newer nukeproofs.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I'm in the same boat. I have a couple of pairs of REALLY expensive pedals that just don;t seem to work as well as those old Konas or newer nukeproofs.
same boat - the last 3 super expensive pair of pedals I've bought are collecting dust while my cheapo Tioga MX pedals are seeing (sell were seeing) tons of play time.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yep. I got to test some fancy shmancy pedals since our web mag goes to print this spring (knock on wood) and I couldnt find a noticable differance. Hell most of them were worse due to silly non standard pins, that were harder to get and easier to kill. At the same time I have a set of 4 year old wah wahs I bought used and they still run strong.

Also one thing makes me wonder. Strange pin shapes help to hold your feet horizontally but how about vertical grip of NON threaded pins on stuff like brake bumps and heavy root sections. In my experiance 5.10s like threaded pins for heavy brake bumps since it is a bit harder to kick your feet of the pedals. Though it is just a theory based on my experiance with different pedal models and their pins.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yep. I got to test some fancy shmancy pedals since our web mag goes to print this spring (knock on wood) and I couldnt find a noticable differance. Hell most of them were worse due to silly non standard pins, that were harder to get and easier to kill. At the same time I have a set of 4 year old wah wahs I bought used and they still run strong.

Also one thing makes me wonder. Strange pin shapes help to hold your feet horizontally but how about vertical grip of NON threaded pins on stuff like brake bumps and heavy root sections. In my experiance 5.10s like threaded pins for heavy brake bumps since it is a bit harder to kick your feet of the pedals. Though it is just a theory based on my experiance with different pedal models and their pins.
Little side step if you want to go digital I work with this company who has an extremely inexpensive publishing platform for Ipad and Honeycomb:

http://www.magplus.com/

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Get some StraitLines and all your other pedals will not matter, and despite being 'super expensive', so long as you dont prioritize perfect shininess over performance, your pedals will kick ass 5 years later like mine!

No, not the thinnest or the lightest - but super traction (pare down the pins if you want) and super durable.

My point1's are sweet, but in comparison aint S***!

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Little side step if you want to go digital I work with this company who has an extremely inexpensive publishing platform for Ipad and Honeycomb:

http://www.magplus.com/
We actually go the other way. I know it seems silly in this time and age but around here still a lot of people read paper (very few tablets and kindles). Also as a paper mag you automatically get threated more seriously. Wost case scenario we do a short paper run and go back to digital.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Get some StraitLines and all your other pedals will not matter, and despite being 'super expensive', so long as you dont prioritize perfect shininess over performance, your pedals will kick ass 5 years later like mine!

No, not the thinnest or the lightest - but super traction (pare down the pins if you want) and super durable.

this times a million. i have yet to try a set of pedals that can hold a candle to my straitlines

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i have the new straitlines waiting to go on my trail bike, by the looks of them they are bit small for dh...but that is personal...

Lets not hijack though, the specialized pedals do look fantastic...

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
i have the new straitlines waiting to go on my trail bike, by the looks of them they are bit small for dh...but that is personal...

Lets not hijack though, the specialized pedals do look fantastic...
one more hijack for the hope pedals due in the spring.

Last edited:

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
actually, i don't find it sexy, when you see the steps of the machining. it's harder to do without the traces of maching being visible... and it's better looking, too
Yup, but sadly a lot of people see 'obvious' machining as a sign of quality :rolleyes: I've got a Thomson stem on one bike and the g/f has a Hope, same price point, two very different levels of finish but I bet most people think the Hope has more/better machining

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
There are waaaay more CNC machines in Taiwan than England.

If you really want to talk about quality, a forged part will be stronger/lighter than a machined part 99 out of 100 times. But tooling cost is much higher.

I have found that machined parts from Asia are usually tumbled after cutting to get a smooth finish and generally erase cutting marks.

You can however tell the skill of the machinist/operator/programmer by the marks left by the cutters. I consider it an art form and the Hope guys are damn good.

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA

Thats good news. I am building my new bike for 2012 and fell in love with the look of the Straitlines. Really good to hear that they perform good as well.

BOOMSLANG

Chimp
Apr 6, 2009
Morgan Hill
Hey everyone,
The Specialized pedals are still in development. We used last summer to refine the design with the Specialized/Monster boys and other test riders. We have a design that we really like now and should have them available by summer. I know it's a long time and I appreciate your enthusiasm and patience. It started as a side project and I am trying to git er dun in between all my real projects. They will be worth the wait for sure.

Jason C

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Damn, those are one of the few pedals I'm ready to pay a bit more right now. What's with pedals and development hell these days?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Yup, but sadly a lot of people see 'obvious' machining as a sign of quality :rolleyes: I've got a Thomson stem on one bike and the g/f has a Hope, same price point, two very different levels of finish but I bet most people think the Hope has more/better machining
Good comparison. I have both, and after good experiences with other Hope products, the stem was a bit of a let down. Thomson is definitely the superior stem - finish, tolerances, function (tightening the bolts down is smooth on the Thomson, rough/jerky on the Hope), etc.

Last edited:

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
Rumor around the Big S warehouse was Mike S did not like the looks of the pedal once he put them on his SWORKS Carbon Road bike so he axed the whole thing.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Rumor around the Big S warehouse was Mike S did not like the looks of the pedal once he put them on his SWORKS Carbon Road bike so he axed the whole thing.
Not quite, Big Mike liked them but slipped a pedal when huckin' to flat and chewed up his fancy new lycra. Wasn't too stoked after that.

He demanded that the pedal incorporate some sort of retention mechanism for the shoe. Something involving a cleat and some springs...:thumb:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Whats the deal with pins coming from the backside of the pedal? Definitely the worst feature of my Point1's; smash a pin and you have to cut it off and still worry about destroying threads when removing the chunked pins. Having threads up the length of the pin makes it worse.

I found the pins on the Straitlines can get smashed out like any ped, but the top loading pins with wide base are so much preferable to any bottom loaders or set screw pins ive tried to date.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
Whats the deal with pins coming from the backside of the pedal? Definitely the worst feature of my Point1's; smash a pin and you have to cut it off and still worry about destroying threads when removing the chunked pins. Having threads up the length of the pin makes it worse.

I found the pins on the Straitlines can get smashed out like any ped, but the top loading pins with wide base are so much preferable to any bottom loaders or set screw pins ive tried to date.
My problem with the Straitline system is that the pins are steel and the alu pedal body is quite a bit softer. Excessively hard impacts won't break the pins because of the wide base. A few of my bins have been hit hard and they deform the pedal body where they thread in to.