Quantcast

Any of you PNW monkeys want to try ski biking

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
OPEN INVITATION I have a pair of Warp skibikes this year, 1 to ride and 1 to loan out. I would be glad to bring you a bike and meet you at either Hoodoo for some resort riding www.hoodoo.com
or Govt. Camp on Mt. Hood for a day of shuttle runs on the Alpine
From Timberline back down to Summitt ski area. All you need for Hood is a shuttle vehicle.

Any takers? you guys got to try this :biggrin::cheers:

Gopher

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
Spokane WA
holy crap ive always had a idea about doing something like that i never knew people already did.t my winters might not suck anymore. Where did you get that? build it yourself?

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
Hungryleprican and Bent^biker you mean you guys live near snoqaulmie and you don't ride a ski bike Whats wrong wittchoo man?
I need to get up that way If i do I'll surely give you a shout!!

Gopher Yes that is a custom fab'd kit, I have two custom bikes and we also have a Xbike kit. Hanson bikes is no longer in business but there is a few kits left. Lenz Sport is also making ski bikes and conversion kits now,

I am at work now and not sure of their web addresses now but i'll edit this later and add a couple links for you.

Duane

{edit} Here ya go ckeckout Devins bikes at http://www.lenzsport.com/SkiBikes.html
checkout the Video! and Ray http://www.skibiker.net/index.html has got the Lenz Sport bikes and kits, and a few Xbike kits left. Another good source for ski bike stuff is Randy www.skibikefun.com . But dude the bikes can be easily made if you got a welder!

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
Man I would love to try that but Hood is just too far away.
Dude ! You live in Bellingham? You got Mt Baker one of the best resorts in the NW and they allow ski bikes! You really need to build one!:monkeydance:

And Spahman Remember when you was a kid thinking you're cool grabbing the rear brake and sliding the bike sideways? Thats the way you ride a ski bike, sideways on edge, and hockeystops . I can stop my skibike at any speed faster than my DH bike! And the wheeled bike can only dream of sticking to the ground and railing the corners the way the skibike does perfect drift in every turn!

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
Does timberline care if you shuttle there ski area or are you just bombing tough the woods there? Sounds like a blast, but seams like it might be a little flat at the end, perhaps you got a good route down.

If you ever make it up Seattle, snowquilime ski area I would love to take you up on your offer. Saw some old school dude with a big white beard at central, looked super fun.

How hard would it be to turn my old bike and skies into a skibike?

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
Does timberline care if you shuttle there ski area or are you just bombing tough the woods there? Sounds like a blast, but seams like it might be a little flat at the end, perhaps you got a good route down.

If you ever make it up Seattle, snowquilime ski area I would love to take you up on your offer. Saw some old school dude with a big white beard at central, looked super fun.

How hard would it be to turn my old bike and skies into a skibike?
That old guy I'll bet that was Ron I've ski'd with him. He wasn't a pegger and had foot ski's on correct?
Not now but there is a funny storie behind that! My first trip to Hood 6yrs ago with a ski bike we were chased off by a snowcat, and threatened with the police :shocked: if we returned. It was my first real run on big mountain snow and I had just found the friggen coolest thing I'd ever done. So I spent weeks on the phone and internet with both resorts and the Forest Service. Finally I got the right guy at the Zig Zag ranger station, who was excited about ski biking in the area and felt we were no diff than xc skiers. The resort land is actually owned by the FS. He helped negotiations with both resorts. Basicly he forced them to give me the green light :clapping:

I can pretty much go where ever I want on resorts ground as long as I am safe and don't endanger anyone. So now I am treated like a rockstar up there by both the public and resort employees alike.
So I am real carefull on resort land not to jeopardize what I got going here, someday Timberline will let me on the lifts! :lighten:
And I got 4 miles of backcountry in between to do the bombing :monkeydance:

We have a couple routes down and yeah both give you a little flatter section near the bottom, its actually a single track trail that gets alot of nordic traffic so most of the time [other than big powder days] you can carry enough momentum to get through it.

And the bikes are easy to build! The P.M.'s are starting to come in. Send me one with an e-mail address and I'll send you all the info with pics you need to build your own kit.

This meadow is getting to be a fun tree run. This is early season low snow pack and you normally see just the tops

Duane

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
i'll second the if you're ever up in b-ham send me a pm or email...i looked into making one but lost interest...i guess i just like snowboarding enough and i only get ot the mountain a couple of times a year as is

Pete

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
First trip to Hood with one of my fellow monkeys will be this weekend. I'll be meeting freshkid from Tigard for a day of kick Arse powder shuttle runs on the Alpine on Sat.

Anyone else the offer stands all season. first come first serve for my loaner bike..........

Duane

Jun 18, 2004
if all goes well I'll ride Timberline on Sat and Hood Meadows on Sun w/my g.f. ... staying in Hood River; I want to ride some snowcats myself.

I'm hoping the Cascade express chair will be open... I know it's threadjacking but I'm stoked to get back down to Hood for the snow!

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
if all goes well I'll ride Timberline on Sat and Hood Meadows on Sun w/my g.f. ... staying in Hood River; I want to ride some snowcats myself.

I'm hoping the Cascade express chair will be open... I know it's threadjacking but I'm stoked to get back down to Hood for the snow!
Look for us! We will be dropping in behind the lodge and dropping out [of bounds] below the bottom of Stormin Normin..
I won't have a bike available for you but if we hook up I should be able to atleast let you check it out and maybe try one run. We can get together in the future and I'll reserve a bike for you.

Duane

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
I'll defiantly be down to try it, but I heard from a guy on the lift today that Snoqualmie is renting them now. Does this sound right? He sounded very certain.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
I believe they used to do it but it was so awesome that no one bothered to rent them and look amazing on the hill.
I don't think I've seen one on the hill at Snoqualmie in about 4-5 years. You know, back when " 'zorbs" were going to be the next big thing.

Go in to the rental shop though and ask. but, I think they sold them all to the eastern bloc countries at 3 bucks a pop so they could attach chain saw motor sled tracks and use them herding sheep in the winter.

Gotta give Dewey props for trying to spread the word every year though.

Edit: The Snoqualmie website has a line in the rental page for "snowtoys" for what its worth. You'll have to call and ask what that means...

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
I'll defiantly be down to try it, but I heard from a guy on the lift today that Snoqualmie is renting them now. Does this sound right? He sounded very certain.
They may or may-not rent bikes now I'd have to check. But the rental bike won't be anything like these, they may even put you in footski's [god forbid ]

We need to know to, if they're going to require you a certification?
They may make you take a lesson and get a National Skibike Certification (woo-who) but once you get it, its good at any resort.

You ski there, man look into it. I'll be coming up sometime this year to ski with several riders in your area. If you want it the bikes yours
for the day! If you like it! duh! :lighten:You all ready met local ski bike partners!

Duane

Feb 2, 2008
deweydude- Just wondering if you'd be interested in selling the brackets for the skis to attatch to. I do not have access to a welder but have a specailized FSR bike that is toast with a busted crank clapped out wheels and bent derailers. I'd love to turn it into a snow bike and meet you at snoqualmie for some riding.

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
deweydude- Just wondering if you'd be interested in selling the brackets for the skis to attatch to. I do not have access to a welder but have a specailized FSR bike that is toast with a busted crank clapped out wheels and bent derailers. I'd love to turn it into a snow bike and meet you at snoqualmie for some riding.
I never got notified of this post :poster_oops: Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I don't have any kits made up right now that aint
in use, other than hansen Xbike bike kits. And I am having serious problems with my little wire feed welder. I am either going to have to get it fixed or replace it:rant:

P.M. me a direct e-mail and I'll send you a couple e-mails with pics, specs and build directions, then look into a local welding/fab shop to
build them up for you. Should cost between 30 and 50 bucks.

I can meet you at Snoqualmie with an Xbike kit, just bring the bike with wheels and all components stripped and I'll kit you on the spot.
If its got a removable der. hanger leave it on.
And I've always got the spare Warp, if no one is on it.

Duane