Quantcast

Any Of You Riding A Newer R.S. Super Deluxe?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I have been riding Fox rear suspension for 15 years now, but my Zeb has been a revelation. Thinking about a Super Deluxe and Pike for the Element I have on order. I love the ‘damp’ feeling of an X2 (when not running coil). Does anyone have insights on the personality of the RS vs., say, a DPX2 or the newer Float? I understand I might want a little more ‘pop’ on a 120mm bike…

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
2021 DPX2 on my trailbike.
2021 SD Ultimate on my DH bike

Not really comparable platforms, but no complaints.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
I have a SD for the enduro, it was mediocre until it got Vorsprung and "tractive tuned".

It for sure had the more "pop' feeling you are looking for, was quite stiff early in the stroke and harsher in general. Did not have the damped and soft feeling of a Fox X2 ( my boy has one).

Vorsprung is always an option if it isn't everything you want it to be. Steve (or any vorsprung suspension shop) has the means to get those things just like you want, very impressive.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I haven't had a '21 version but I think they're the same as the last few years. I've ridden and owned a few. I like it a lot better than the DPX2, but it's quite different than the X2. DPX2 has a weird shitty valving design that lets the rebound effect the compression and vice versa. So if you run the rebound really fast it's hard to get the compression right and vice versa. SD feels a lot more normal. Definitely felt a bit more damped than the DPX2, but way easier to set up. The other big difference is I could run like 70 psi less on the SD than the DPX2 for the same bike.

Edit: if you can hold off, the BlackBox version athletes have been testing of the SD has HSC adjust (3 clicks) and hydraulic bottom out (adjustable).

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Great info. I probably won’t get the bike until spring, but I would imagine skunk works stuff probably wouldn’t be released until next fall? The shock is also 190x45, they don’t even make the MegNeg for that size, from what I can tell. So they *might* not install those upgrades into the shorter shocks. Pure speculation, here, obviously.
But that sounds sweet!

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
One huge plus for it is it's real easy to work on. It's made so you can self-bleed it at home. Out of the tools I bought for it, I only use the IFP pusher/depth setter, even that is not really necessary.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
One huge plus for it is it's real easy to work on. It's made so you can self-bleed it at home. Out of the tools I bought for it, I only use the IFP pusher/depth setter, even that is not really necessary.
How's the annual service on the SD for a non-expert?

I've always been comfortable with simple air can services on our non-piggyback Fox shocks, but now I've got two SD U DH's on mine and wife's DH bike I need to get serviced this winter. I'll do the Boxxer forks myself as I've always done fork rebuilds/service. But not had to do a piggyback shock previously - Fox I always sent to them to service.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
How's the annual service on the SD for a non-expert?

I've always been comfortable with simple air can services on our non-piggyback Fox shocks, but now I've got two SD U DH's on mine and wife's DH bike I need to get serviced this winter. I'll do the Boxxer forks myself as I've always done fork rebuilds/service. But not had to do a piggyback shock previously - Fox I always sent to them to service.
It’s not anywhere near fox levels of fuckery. It’s doable without special tools and again, it was made to do this at home with the bleed ports built into the IFP and shock body, so you can purge all the air out. Fox is basically the opposite of this. The only way I was able to bleed a fox shock at home was immersion bleed and it’s extremely wasteful and horrible to do.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I have been riding Fox rear suspension for 15 years now, but my Zeb has been a revelation. Thinking about a Super Deluxe and Pike for the Element I have on order. I love the ‘damp’ feeling of an X2 (when not running coil). Does anyone have insights on the personality of the RS vs., say, a DPX2 or the newer Float? I understand I might want a little more ‘pop’ on a 120mm bike…
My Mega came with the Zeb ultimate and the new 'HotDog' Super Deluxe shock. The super deluxe has been working pretty damn well - I believe the 'HotDog' designation is some new higher flow piston or something. I'm going to get a MegNeg for it soon just to have a play around but otherwise I've been really impressed with it. I would also like to try the Vorsprung Tractive Tune at some stage but I'm not feeling compelled to change anything dramatic about the shock at this stage.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I've had them on a few bikes now, both coil and air variants, and like most shocks it's highly dependent on the tune. Worst was the stock unit on my V3 Bronson - had a kick to it on big square edge hits; Tractive tune fixed that. The unit on my V4 Bronson has felt really good in the limited time I've had on it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I've had them on a few bikes now, both coil and air variants, and like most shocks it's highly dependent on the tune. Worst was the stock unit on my V3 Bronson - had a kick to it on big square edge hits; Tractive tune fixed that. The unit on my V4 Bronson has felt really good in the limited time I've had on it.
I'm definitely still getting a good kick with the tractive tune. I need to play with my MegNeg, bands and spacers more though and see how it all falls out.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The only way I was able to bleed a fox shock at home was immersion bleed and it’s extremely wasteful and horrible to do.
I am also reminded that I had to buy the faux IFP valve due to Fox's retarded IFP needle system.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Had one my V4 Bronson and NP Reactor. For the Bronson I had to send it in for a retune. A couple too many clicks of rebound and the shock would not extend fully. Checked 2 other Bronsons on the trail and the same issue. Sent it in and the tech previously worked for RS and was able to basically emulate the tractive tune. After the service it was great. On the Reactor it was excellent from day 1. Easy to setup and felt great on the trails. Would bang again but new bike came with the new X2.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
No coils in 190x45, (maybe storia?) believe me, I thought about it. I usually have one coil and one air for my bikes with hardware installed for easy swaps.
And I have heard short coils don't always feel great?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
This press release says the DHX comes in that size, non onion mount..

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
No coils in 190x45, (maybe storia?) believe me, I thought about it. I usually have one coil and one air for my bikes with hardware installed for easy swaps.
And I have heard short coils don't always feel great?
Damn, I have the freshly rebuild/refurbished CCDB IL coil in 200x51, would let it go for a good price.

Otherwise, my experience with EXT is it won't actually feel like a coil shock. Bomber CR is working like a coil shock (lots of terrain hugging goodness).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Das ist Ein Hundred und Neunzig x Einundfünfzig Yurp Units.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Hotdog piston is not compatible with Vorsprung Tractive tuning.
Sounds like flow rate is too high to build sufficient pressure at the shim face.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Though the press release from Fox does mention a 190x45 size, as you've seen it does seem to be missing from everywhere.

Found this FAQ page on the TF Tuned page, which mentions it - https://www.tftuned.com/fox-dhx-factory-2pos-adj-metric-shock-2022/p3963#tabid3

Q: WHY NO 190MM SIZE?
A: The product selection we offer is driven by demand. We are watching the coil trends, as this demand increases, we will look at creating 190mm.
Not sure if they wrote it, or its a quote from Fox, but there it is.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Damn, I have the freshly rebuild/refurbished CCDB IL coil in 200x51, would let it go for a good price.

Otherwise, my experience with EXT is it won't actually feel like a coil shock. Bomber CR is working like a coil shock (lots of terrain hugging goodness).
That's so strange my EXT experience is great. Does exactly what a coil should do. Without harsh bottoming out.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Hotdog piston is not compatible with Vorsprung Tractive tuning.
Sounds like flow rate is too high to build sufficient pressure at the shim face.

SRAM is making pistons out of hot dogs? That seems... inadvisable. :think:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Does an XC bike really need an amazing shock? If one is willing to add weight to an XC bike to get a "damp" suspension why not go for a bike with more suspension?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I had a Transition Scout (150mm front/127mm rear) and a Banshee Rune (160mm f/r) in parallel over the course of 1.5 seasons*.

Even with the flat rolling terrain here, pretty much the only time I rode the Scout was when the Rune broke something.

You probably have access to much more varied terrain than here, but it was hard to make a case for keeping both bikes here. The 'big' bike, while being much heavier and whatnot, is always ready for everything. Whereas with the Scout, I'd have to adapt to its different geometry and remember that hey, if I ram this thing into a rock a full speed, something might give..

*In hindsight, these two bikes are probably closer together, than what you're building?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
The loops here from the house do not require more than what I am getting. Many thousands of feet of non-technical verts.
My SB100 was undergunned, but my current 155/160 Instict is overkill, especially with the 165/170 Altitude as an option. So I am selling the instinct, and getting a capable short travel, why the hell not, it’s my thing. I like new bikes.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'm not saying don't do it, in fact, do it. :D

Just chiming in with my own useless experience.

New bikes are definitely a nice thing.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That's so strange my EXT experience is great. Does exactly what a coil should do. Without harsh bottoming out.
Mine feels like an air shock...with too much compression damping.

When I complained about the sharp-edged bump absorption...they said they would revalve and mainly open the LSC more. I'm thinking that just makes the problem worse?

PUSHIND

PUSH Industries (Duh)
Dec 5, 2003
Colorado
A purpose-built 190x45 custom-tuned coil shock with hydraulic bottoming pistons and completely externally adjustable compression and rebound for 120-130mm travel MTB's? That sounds amazing!! :brows: :D

20210715_155121.jpg