Quantcast

Any one take online clasess??

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
I have been thinking about going back to school. I can’t find any schools here that offer conservation or forestry classes part time. But I did find a few online schools.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
do it, provided it's from a real university. real as in accredited and at least halfway respected. i took precalc sorta online my freshman year of high school through stanford epgy -- they sent cds with lectures on them, i watched (in an unused room at school, during the hour in which i normally would have taken math -- my school's precalc was at the wrong time of day for my schedule), i did homework, i took paper tests that were sent back to them for grading. worked ok, i guess.

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
I have to think about it. Its kind of a big decision I have never bin good at learning things striate out of a book. I usually need to ask a lot of questions. I’m also a little afraid since I just turned 30 and I have been out of school along time.

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
Pulser955 said:
I have to think about it. Its kind of a big decision I have never bin good at learning things striate out of a book. I usually need to ask a lot of questions. I’m also a little afraid since I just turned 30 and I have been out of school along time.
No time like the present

fanatical

Chimp
May 23, 2004
NJ
Check the format of the class. They usually have weekly hour long chats or conference calls where you can ask all the questions you want. Don't forget that there's always email. And don't be afraid of going back to school. There are a ton of adults in college so you won't be alone there.

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
fanatical said:
Check the format of the class. They usually have weekly hour long chats or conference calls where you can ask all the questions you want. Don't forget that there's always email. And don't be afraid of going back to school. There are a ton of adults in college so you won't be alone there.

That’s what I was wondering. It would suck if they just gave you all the curse material and left it up to you to find your way throe it. I sent for more info from 2 places. One of them was the University of Phoenix online.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I did my entire masters degree online. It was a really cool experience. You will REALLY need to be motivated by yourself though. No one is there to physically show you what you need to do. My classes were quite well organized and we had plenty of online office hours for questions. I think it took a little more time in front of the computer and was a bit more work, but you are definately saving time & $ by not having to commute. I TAed a course for SUNY Albany online as well and it was quite fun! I would definately consider it as an option (from an accredited university...check the program validity!!!!).

Jonny Wray

Chimp
Oct 4, 2001
San Francisco
I'd advise against University of Phoenix. A couple of years back they tryed to get me to be a faculty member. To put it in context, employment requirements are an advanced degree and be working full-time in the field you are teaching. Ok so far, but then they told me, after making me jump through a lot of hoops about getting my course approved, the compensation rates. It would have worked out at less then 9 dollars an hour. I told them where to stick it.

There's no way they could get even half way decent faculty paying that.

Pulser955 said:
That’s what I was wondering. It would suck if they just gave you all the curse material and left it up to you to find your way throe it. I sent for more info from 2 places. One of them was the University of Phoenix online.