Quantcast

Any PUSH Boxxer insight? (what will they do?)

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Push Industries will begin doing Boxxers sometime in April.

It's no secret really, but what seems to be a mystery is exactly what they will be doing. Is it just some TFT style tuning that makes it work as well as possible by using the perfect oils, springs, heights etc.

Or is it instead a whole new system? Anybody have any idea what will be going on? It's no secret the Boxxer was modeled after a 1970s moto fork, keeping that in mind it's amazing what they've done with it, I just have to think that in order to really get into Boxxer tuning new internals are in order.

Any ideas?

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
I'm hoping they basically cram some kind of shimmed style damper on one side, so it can be very tuneable (vary shim stack depending on rider) and have no spiking problems, then run a spring on the other alla mojo, Fox, Manitou style.

It could potentially be the lightest setup out there that is fully custom tuned.

All e-speculation though. I don't want to bother Darren as they are gearing up for their move to COlorado.

HGR Frucci

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
K12
perahps a cartridge type affair like the mojo thing? only one that isnt full of B.S.
I hear you on that. I too was a victim of the Boxcart. Fortunately I was able to sell mine...

E.T.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
NorCal
Gamut USA has a one-sided open-bath shimmed cartridge for the Boxxer. I raced semi-pro DH all last season on the cartridge. Although not externally adjustable it can be revalved for compression or rebound using shims that I'm sure they'd include. The action is extremelly smooth, supple, with decreased pedal bob and brake dive, yet there is NO spiking. The valves are designed to be very high flow and let the shims do all the work. If you can't stand e-speculating about PUSH's internals anymore, drop Gamut an e-mail HERE and they can help you out. There site is Gamutusa.com

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Yeah, Evan, I played with Juan's at Mammoth, and I may go that route.

Being Push is 1 hour north of me, it's a better choice if they are doing what I'de expect from Push.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
If PUSH can take what they did to my Vanilla and make that work on my Boxxer, they'll be seeing some more of my money very soon.
Maybe they've also designed some oil seals that last more and 5 rides.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Well if they do a closed damper alla Fox 40/Manitou Dorado (non SPV), then the damping would be seperated from the lubrication. Thus you can count on your damping oil staying cleaner far longer and there being far less risk of blowing seals because of how sealed it is from external elements. THe stock Boxxer dust seals would only be protecting the lubrication system from outside elements, which I think they are far sufficient enough to do.

All and all that was a lot of E-SPeculation...just pointing out a fact.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
This sounds like a great idea.
And I'll be damned, I just happen to have a brand new '03 Boxxer Race to sell to somebody so they can get it pushed.
You guys are in luck today, I'll tell ya what........... :sneaky: ;)

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
every boxcart boxxer I rode was horrible and mojo seem to have an intresting marketing ploy of saying everything is rubbish unless they sell it, i.e. platform shocks are rubbish etc.
They also claim that because motor bikes dont need platform stuff neither do mtbs.
" the standard dampers can become cavitated" now Im not going to argue that statement from there web page because I dont know if its true or not but I have never experianced that.

HGR Frucci

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
K12
Same experience - all they did was bag on Progressive until I told them I was sponsored by them - and then they just said that their stuff was better anyway.

I got a boxcart with a x-heavy spring and the thing scraped the inside of my fork so bad it was like I had stiction damping. Compounded with no net weight savings (contrary to their info) I saw no reason in keeping the thing. Maybe if you weighed like 120 and had a boxxer race, it would be a cool deal, but a stock boxxer is way better IMO and you save $300.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
yeah Im keen to see there new adverts now that there is a dhx available hahaha I wonder if all of a sudden platform style suspension will become a good idea to mojo.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I guess YMMV when it comes to MOJO, no B.S. Both my g2 and g1 carts way out perform any of the boxxers i've set up for people, and I definetly know how to tune boxxers. A tip-top boxxer is Really, really good, but there are certainly still some crazy responses in responseto large sqaure impacts in the rebound department... That goes away with the Mojo cart, in addition there is no other way to run so much compression damping, which works well for my riding style... There can be some stiction issues, especially with the G2 unit, but I've managed to work around those with plentiful slick honey and a little break-in time.