Quantcast

Any reason to compete in a series?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
This year I had really wanted to compete in the Gravity East series, but most of the races are just too dang far away. There are like 3 in western PA, one in MD and two in WVA. Not to mention that several are on weekends that I already have engagements for, so I can't even use my three gimmes on distant races.

So, I'm out of points contention, and I'm not really good enough to compete for the championship...is it worth it to bother, or should I just try and hit up local races that won't require a 7 hour drive?

DORO

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
if your from s. boston you should be smart enough to know all you need to ride is highland and sunday river for fun. points are over rated.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
racing is good though it makes you push yourself. So stepping up to a higher standard of racing is definitely a good thing. Even if you can't compete in the whole series its good to get to ride in different places

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
This year I had really wanted to compete in the Gravity East series, but most of the races are just too dang far away. There are like 3 in western PA, one in MD and two in WVA. Not to mention that several are on weekends that I already have engagements for, so I can't even use my three gimmes on distant races.

So, I'm out of points contention, and I'm not really good enough to compete for the championship...is it worth it to bother, or should I just try and hit up local races that won't require a 7 hour drive?
7 SPRINGS, WESTERN PA
BLUE MOUNTAIN ,EASTERN PA
WISP, WESTERN MARYLAND
NO GRAVITY EAST RACES IN WVA

Dont know if any of that will matter , not knowing where you are from and what your travel limit may be.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
1.May 8-9 Massanutten Resort, on vacation
2. June 5-7 Wisp Resort, McHenry, MD - 9 hr drive
3. June 13-14 Seven Springs Mountain Resort, Champion, PA - 9.5 hr drive
4. June 27-28 Windham Mountain, have a conflicting event

I'll be around for the rest, but it will be difficult to get out for the PA race. A lot of those races are back to back weekends too. I guess I'll take some of the advice posted and compete where I can, and skip races that just don't make any sense.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
By my last count there are close to 50 races up and down the east coast this year. I am working in Indiana and have to either fly or make the 7 hour drive for Wisp, Massanutten, and 7Springs. Blue Mountain is 13 But my family is only an hour from there. Lots of races, too little money and way too many miles. A great year for racing, but unfortunatly not for a lot of us poor racers

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
By my last count there are close to 50 races up and down the east coast this year. I am working in Indiana and have to either fly or make the 7 hour drive for Wisp, Massanutten, and 7Springs. Blue Mountain is 13 But my family is only an hour from there. Lots of races, too little money and way too many miles. A great year for racing, but unfortunatly not for a lot of us poor racers
We have a race the last saturday of May in Grand Rapids, MI. Not sure where you are in IN but it might be close. There are also 2 races at Boyne Mt. in MI as well as a race in WI about 3 hours north of Chicago.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
I am in Southern Indiana, across the river from Louisville.Will be heading back east for Massanutten, US open, first race at Blue Mountain, Wisp, and 7 springs. after that it is wherever my budget can afford and using minimal vacation days.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I am in Southern Indiana, across the river from Louisville.Will be heading back east for Massanutten, US open, first race at Blue Mountain, Wisp, and 7 springs. after that it is wherever my budget can afford and using minimal vacation days.
get ahold of Joel Creed. He lives down that way and goes to nearly every race. I am pretty sure you know him.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
If you like racing go to the races. It's that simple. You already know you're not going to win so go to race. Unless you don't want to. Then stay home.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The question wasn't to race or not.

The question was whether I should spend the extra time and money to compete in the race series, vs. staying local or doing random races at all the local mountains here.

Get it?

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Yeah I get it and I am saying that if there are races in the series that you want to do, do them. If the race itself is not worth the drive don't go.

jason3559

Chimp
Jun 21, 2004
New England

Unless you are racing in the pro or Cat 1 Jrs, going to every race is not necessary to do well in your class. For the classes other than Pro/Cat 1 Jrs, the majority of racers just hit local events. The economics are similar for all people...why go into massive debt just to win a Cat 2-4 series?

Concentrate your time not spent at races on get super fit, honing your skills, mastering bike setup and maintenance, and the like. That way, when you do hit a race, you are going to be dialed.

Doing well at a race is a very short term feeling. Have a season full of skill building activities will sustain your long term physical, mental, and financial health. Just my two cents.