Quantcast

Any Runners? Need advice..

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i've started running again but unfortunately, winter is not the best time for trail running. i can handle about 30 minutes on the treadmill before my brain melts from the monotony but i can easily run for almost an hour on some of my favorite bike trails.

the problem is that, when i'm on third shift, i don't get to run until 630am and not until 130am when i'm on 2nd. it's usually pretty stinking chilly out at that time, sub-freezing. so what are some good, warm and lightweight running clothes? gloves? something to keep from breathing in such cold air?

as you can tell, i'm not much of a sports clothes user so keep it simple for me ;)

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I go w/1 or 2 long sleeve wicking shirts, and a light windbreaker shell, hat and light gloves and long poly gym/wind pants

brand doesnt matter, just make sure its polyester / Polypropylene / coolmax / thermax stuff and not cotten

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You can add some lycra running leggings under the wind pants if you're still cold.

If the air deal really bothers you, you can run with a ski mask. I used to do it when I trained in the winter during high school. It doesn't help a whole lot but it helps a bit and keeps your nose and mouth warmer.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Do you have an EMS near you? Their Techwick gear is good stuff, and it's not as expensive as some of the bigger name gear - I swear by their stuff.

I wear the EMS performance themal underwear and either tights or basic wind pants - that keeps my legs plenty warm. On top, I wear 2-3 long sleeve techwich shirts. You have to pay attention and get stuff that fits over/under other layers. Your base layer should be pretty tight so it doesn't bunch up. Then wear a windbreaker if necessary.

Feet and ears are super important - get a couple pairs of good performance socks - like douglas said - NOT cotton. Pickup a skull cap or whatever you like for your head. I have a polyester ear band (those head band looking things that cover your ears) that works well for me.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
manimal said:
i've started running again but unfortunately, winter is not the best time for trail running. i can handle about 30 minutes on the treadmill before my brain melts from the monotony but i can easily run for almost an hour on some of my favorite bike trails.

the problem is that, when i'm on third shift, i don't get to run until 630am and not until 130am when i'm on 2nd. it's usually pretty stinking chilly out at that time, sub-freezing. so what are some good, warm and lightweight running clothes? gloves? something to keep from breathing in such cold air?

as you can tell, i'm not much of a sports clothes user so keep it simple for me ;)
I have some winter riding tights type things that have some thermal stuff on the inside... they are for biking but they arent padded. Ive been known to run in those with a long sleeve shirt and some running shorts. Id wear sweats but, damn they get annoying when running.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Jeremy R said:
I am sorry to hear that your bike is broke.
I mean it must be broke, because that is the only viable excuse as to why you are running on those trails instead of riding them.:blah:

good observations...but it's not broke. i just don't have time to go home, get the bike and go ride. i hit the trail after my normal weight training on the way home. just easier and i can maintain my heart rate better while running. probably have to ride over 1.5 hours to get the same benefit as a good paced 30-40 min run.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Go to a good store that stocks XC ski gear. They have oodles of awesome, technical clothing for working out during the winter. Also, trail running in the cold is a good way to bust ankles - so get yourself some really nice, supportive trail running shoes. I believe New Balance even has a pair with metal studs in them to grip on ice.

I used to run a ton outdoors in the winter when i was running track, it can be great fun - i loved trail running with a light on at night on the mountain.

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
I don't wear anything special. Good ol' sweatpants, a wife beater, and my trusty security forces hoodie. A army navy surplus thermal top and bottom too if it's under 20ish. And a wool watch cap. I sweat like a pig, but I never get cold from these layers getting wet. I can't justify spending so much money on clothes for running when the older stuff still keeps me warm.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
thanks all, i think i'm going to get a generic underarmor long sleeve shirt and wear it under a light sweatshirt. not sure what i'm going to do for my legs.

so definitely no on cotton socks? i have a pair of gortex running shoes but they're a little worn out. my feet don't usually get too cold and i'm not doing some 3 hour epic run...just 35-55 minutes. i think i'm more concerned with the freezing lung burn i get when i inhale lots of cold air.

maybe i'll just run in my full face :D