Quantcast

any suggestions for a fall guy build?

Chimp
May 8, 2010
I just got in a Tonic fall guy frame I bought. This is going to be my first off road bike in a long time and the first bike I have built up, ever.

Anyone mind helping me pick out some parts?

The only thing I know is it takes 24" wheels. I'm not sure about which parts are bmx and which are mtb. No idea what cranks to get or anything.

THe frame does have an fsa bottom bracket, looks like bearings on each side with some type of spin on nut or some thing on the outsides. It has a Chris King headset and a seat post and clamp, thats it.

Thanks for any advice and info.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
a short travel fork like a manitou gold label (i think that's what they originally designed it around) or other 80mmfork like an argyle, reduced travel fox 36 or a marzocchi DJ, strong wheels like rhynolite xl rims laced to hope or profile hubs, but there are literally hundreds of possible rim/hub combos with atomlab, arrow, sun and more all making rims that can take a beating. A bmx style brake is a necessity and I'd also use a bmx style pivotal seat and post combo. Profile for the crank arms (check thee number of splines on the bb your FG came with to see if they'll fit) then all thats left is tyres, bars and stem really, most people have preferences for feel in these areas so it's something you need to decide yourself I think

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
was this Vas's bike? grey fallguy?

check my sig for parts :thumb:

the frame runs a v brake. rhyno lite rims are great or you can check out odyssey 24" rims and tires on dan's. go with a 19mm (crank) spindle since it sounds like you're running a euro bb. post up when you finish.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Sorry for the duff info about the brake, was getting confused.

Chimp
May 8, 2010
was this Vas's bike? grey fallguy?

check my sig for parts :thumb:

the frame runs a v brake. rhyno lite rims are great or you can check out odyssey 24" rims and tires on dan's. go with a 19mm (crank) spindle since it sounds like you're running a euro bb. post up when you finish.

Yeah it was from him. Seems like a cool guy.

The bottom bracket doesn't look like it has any splines. Maybe I am confused.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FSA-BMX-Euro-BB-Bottom-Bracket-NEW-/290430062393?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item439efb0f39

The parts in that auction are the same as what I have. Sorry for being such a dumb ass.

I think this is what I need if anyone sees a mistake let me know.

Rear BMX size hub/wheel front MTB hub/wheel with a 20mm axle opening to fit my "needs to be lowered" pike fork.

V-brake and all associated parts

Short DH style stem and a 1.5-2.5 riser bar. I have some carbon 1.5 inch riser bars. For pump track use will carbon bars assplode on me and get me killed?

DJ style seat, the bike came with a thompson post.

Cranks that match my "whatever I have" style BB

Thanks guys

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
You must have a newer frame? Mine doesn't have a euro BB. I think everything else should be the same. For brakes go with a nice v-brake like and XTR or something solid. Profile cranks are always a good option.

Chimp
May 8, 2010
I hate to keep sounding like a noob but other than the brands what specific style or design parts does this bike need?

I heard BMX rear hub mtb front
v brakes only
bmx cranks? is there a difference?

If what I have is a euro BB (I think it is) does it take a certain spindle and does that spindle take certain cranks?

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
bmx cranks will have shorter spindles because those bikes don't have chain guides and gears to accommodate. also there usually cromo steel.

you have a euro bb and seeing Vas' bike in person i know that he had a 19 mm spindle. so any 19mm 48 spline bmx crank will work. some cranks like eastern will have 9 splines or something like that, as long as the diameter is 19mm you'll be good.

Last edited:

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Rear axle on mine is 14mm x 110 spacing so it uses a BMX hub. Brakes are v-brake style so any MTB v-brake/lever will work. Mine uses an integrated headset so I installed a basic campy-style 45/45 headset. My BB is Spanish or Mid (I forget) and use Profiles. If you already have the BB check to see if it is 19mm compatible. If not, Profile now makes euro BB to work with their 19mm spindle/cranks. Also my seat tube is 27.2mm so I sued a shim to keep my BMX sized pivital set-up.

But I think my frame is a version older than yours. Some things are different.

Chimp
May 8, 2010
Thanks guys. I am off to get some parts. Looking for a sand blaster and powder guy today.

'preciate the help.