Quantcast

Any Suggestions for New Ride

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
with any inexpensive bike, wheels and fork are generally the best upgrades, but also the most costly. putting something like a manitou travis 150 with TPC+ damping on it would make a world of a difference over the drop off. also, brakes can also be upgraded, but they're fine for now. wheels should be fine too unless you break them or want something better, but lighter and stronger and stiffer options are definitely out there. taking weight out of it is always good, but only if the parts you use are as strong or stronger than those you are replacing.

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
Depending on your riding terrain, a tire upgrade might be in order. Wheels, fork, and brakes could be better, but unless you've ridden it and have complaints, don't replace them yet. That's a well spec'd entry hardtail.

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
Dont even ride the bike yet. Remove the fork, sell it and buy something that wont break after 2 rides.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
like the others have said tires and fork would be the things that i would change other than that it is a pretty solid bike. if you are looking to get a new fork like the other guy said don't ride it as there will be a much higher resale value. as for what fork to buy the travis 150 is a great option, i have been riding the bigger one of it (the 180mm) with tpc+ and it is a great fork for the money. as for the tires it really depends on the type of soil you are going to be riding on.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
domain yes. nixon BIG NO. but i still feel the 150 is a better fork than the domain. i like rockshox stuff (i have run about 8 of their forks in the past and a reba team currently on my xc bike) but i feel the travis is lighter has a better dampener and will be stiffer for you in the long run. plus tpc+ is just about unbeatable in my opinion for freeriding

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
transitions and deetraks are both lower/mid grade wheels, whereas the 6.1d and deemax wheels are pretty much the best money can buy. they're really expensive and not worth the money imo. i'd go for the transitions because they seem to be a good quality wheel and they are backed by a company with some of the best customer service ever to be seen. deetraks are also a decent wheel, but mavic charges a lot for their wheels, so it is likely that you're getting a nicer wheel for the money if you buy from another company. that said, both wheels are good and the deetraks can be found at good prices, so i think that between those two, you can't lose. also check azonic outlaws, they're supposedly very good wheels now. i think the transitions look better though, and a white or brown wheelset on your bike would look boss.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
the blunt is an awful fork and its WAY too long for that bike. when i said i have a 180mm on my hardtail i mean that my hardtail was also designed around such a long fork. i would was go around 150-160 max.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
ride first, upgrade later. you may like the tires and the fork.

that said, i'm on an older bakuto with a pike and i love it. the travel adjust is key. i found that more than 130mm of travel doesn't do much for me on most rides.

also, i had an extra wheelset when i bought my bike, so i sold the new wheels that came with the bike after a few rides. the version i had used a 9mm QR (my bakuto come with a manitou stance). once i upgraded to a pike i got some supergo wheels (found them for $100 on closeout). i'm running transition wheels on my bottlerocket. they are good solid wheels.

Beef Cake

Chimp
Apr 22, 2007
Sand box FL.
. Your going to have to try to break it , its not going to fly apart and bust into flames off 4 ft drop . 10 ft to flat then you might be replacing some parts . Ride it for a while then get the new Marz 55 .
CHEERS on the new bike .