Quantcast

Any (Super)Clydes ride a SLR seat? Carbon seatpost?

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Considering dropping the coin on a Selle Italia SLR (prolly SLR XP) seat. I test rode one briefly, and it was the most comfy seat I've been on. Just worried my 240 pounds will turn the seat rails to spaghetti, especially on a hardtail. Planning on a Easton EC 70 post as well, to kill vibration and give the bike some twang. Now the SLR XP has "tubular vanox" rails, what on Earth is that? The SLR XP is heavier than the SLR by 50g, so does all that weight come only from the extra padding, or are the rails stronger/heavier as well?

1) Will I kill a SLR no matter what? How about SLR XP?

2) Will I kill a EC70 post?

3) Are there any listed weight limits on these products?

This bike will be rather strict XC. No landing on my seat after a 4 foot drop. Just trail riding. Thanks all.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Ugh. Just researched the MTBR reviews for both products. So-So for both. Slipping EC70 posts. Shredded SLR seats. At my weight I just don't know. Maybe I'll have to order another Thomson, although I really wanted to soften up my hardtail a bit. As for seats, I see so many WTB's I guess maybe I'll give it a try. Need to sit on one first, before I waste my time/money ordering one.

If you have comments to the questions above still sound off.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I wouldn't get a carbon post i don't trust them on MT bikes and i'm about 160. Don't worry about weight when you weigh that much no offence.

I would get a Thomson post and just get the seat that feels best and hope it lasts but go for strength not weight when you weigh that much.

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
The tublular venox is actully a tiatnium if im correct and xp is heavier since there is more padding , but i do not if the rails are solid or not.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Fellow super-clyde, I would say stay away from the CF post. Many CF posts come with a warning to make sure that the edge of the seat tube isn't too sharp. As for the saddle, thats up to you. The way I look at things, my ass on a 30lb. trail bike is still a way better power to weight ratio than a skinny guy on a 22lb. race bike. Besides, if it were all about weight, people would still be running rigid forks.

Thylacine

Monkey
May 9, 2002
Steve Irwins Bungalow
I'm in a similar position. I used to be 230 back last October. Due to a diet of sweet singletrack on my singlespeed I'm down to 200 and dropping. My old WTB SST is so shagged it bottoms out on the top of the seat post, so I need a new seat too, as well as a layback seatpost.

I looked at the SLR but frankly, it scares me, and doesnt look in the slightest crash resistant. Not that this saddle is any more crash resistant, but in my eyes it looks more butt friendly - >

They'll be available in July I believe so I'll see how they go. The higher end WTB saddles also look good to me, so they might be worth looking at.

'Tubular Vanox' or whatever is just tubular cromo. Adds about 15g over solid Ti. Big deal huh. As for carbon posts, I'd be happy on one. I'm looking at the Easton post for my next bike. As with all carbon, you have to make sure there's no sharp edges and everything should be fine. As to its damping qualities, well, I'll let you know.

bURKeNSTiEN

Chimp
Nov 18, 2002
Aww-stray-lee-ah
I run an SLR on my XC bike, and tis very comfy.

However, I would hazard a guess to say that the leather covering will not hold up well in a crash as it is very very thin.

As for the bending rails, well i'm 165 so is probaly useless info, but it seems plenty strong enough for me. I rarely sit in on the seat when the going is rough though..
I dare say it would be easier to break the SLR seat than say an Oktavia

If I was you, i'd be looking at maybe a slightly heavier duty seat, because think about it.. thats the one thing you REALLY dont want to break... the pain, o the pain
:o:

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
the SLR saddle is sweet yo! i'd get them assuming that you can get it at cost.

however, the carbon post i would not mess w/ for many reasons. just stick w/ a thomson.

novice

Chimp
Aug 8, 2001
Madison, WI
for the carbon post part of the question. I had an easton ct-2 post on my road bike and swapped it with my mtb's thomson because the flex from the post was affecting my ability to spin. I weigh anywhere from 138-147 pounds. The only reason I trust the ct-2 on my mtb right now is that I haven't ridden it in a couple of months, and it matches my handlebars (hey, I don't ride it so it should at least look good). Although the flex was nice on rough roads it adventually began to feel like a pogo stick connected my butt to the frame. Get a Thomson. My $0.02.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Thanks for all the constructive comments everyone. I think I may pick up a EC70 post and SLR XP for my road bike. If it holds up, then maybe switch it over to an XC rig for a try. Maybe. Thanks again.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Bulldog
Thanks for all the constructive comments everyone. I think I may pick up a EC70 post and SLR XP for my road bike. If it holds up, then maybe switch it over to an XC rig for a try. Maybe. Thanks again.
i would use it for a road bike but seriously wouldn't touch it for the XC but that's just me....i'm only 150lbs and i'm telling you i wouldn't touch one for my mtn bike. i'm sure they have improved them but the first 2 years they made those posts i would see some scary things happen w/ those post at races :dead:

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I agree with Indie but on my road bike they have kind o a built in rubber/plastic siding to the seat tube to prevent the carbon post from getting scratched. I think the reason you see so many break is people put them straight in a metal tube and the sharp edges cut into the post so it breaks.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by JMAC
I agree with Indie but on my road bike they have kind o a built in rubber/plastic siding to the seat tube to prevent the carbon post from getting scratched. I think the reason you see so many break is people put them straight in a metal tube and the sharp edges cut into the post so it breaks.
there's that possibility but that's low.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Repack
The way I look at things, my ass on a 30lb. trail bike is still a way better power to weight ratio than a skinny guy on a 22lb. race bike.
Maybe for the short runs but on anything endurance related the curve drops very fast. Guys with excess bulkage (muscle or fat) tend to burn out faster and have much less stamina.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
The way I look at things, my ass on a 30lb. trail bike is still a way better power to weight ratio than a skinny guy on a 22lb. race bike.
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Maybe for the short runs but on anything endurance related the curve drops very fast. Guys with excess bulkage (muscle or fat) tend to burn out faster and have much less stamina.
Can you say "sarcasm"?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Can you say "sarcasm"?
I can say it but I wasn't aware of it in your post as I read it - I thought you were serious... some guys don't think extra weight is a serious concern and/or handicap - often guaging their fitness on short periods of intense activity.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Originally posted by indieboy
i would use it for a road bike but seriously wouldn't touch it for the XC but that's just me....i'm only 150lbs and i'm telling you i wouldn't touch one for my mtn bike. i'm sure they have improved them but the first 2 years they made those posts i would see some scary things happen w/ those post at races :dead:
The CT2 post or whatever the old one was is gone. The new ones have a totally new head and much cleaner look. Not saying that has to make it better, cuz I obviously have no experience, but it appears to be a big step forward. I have a Thomson laying here that I'll use first anyways. If it feels too harsh then I'll consider my options again.

Thanks again!