Quantcast

any tips for learning clipless?

R

rstrange1

A big schoolyard field, your shoes pedals and soft ground.

I learned mine in front of a moving bus...in rush hour traffic in the heart of the business district. Good thing buses come with steering wheels!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
DDo you have a trainer you can put your bike on and just practice clipping in and clipping out for about 5 minutes? I suggest then going to a grassy area and riding around practicing.

WARNING: YOU WILL FALL AT LEAST TWICE before you are completely confident.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
What I did is get on my bike, near a wall that I could put my hand against to prop myself up. So I just sat there, backpedaling, clipping and unclipping each foot at every spot in the pedal rotation - 1:00, 2:00, 3:00, 4:00, etc. I spent about 20min doing this. It made me very comfortable, and also helped me identify my weak spots, which I worked on a lot more.

I don't think I ever fell; I was so comfortable with the motions by the time I hit the trails that it was old hat.

Also, keep the pedals' tension setting loose; obviously it really helps. I like to put some White Lightning or Boeshield (wax lube) on the pedals; it helps too.

mikec918

Chimp
Aug 22, 2001
Virginia
First thing you want to do is reduce the tension on the pedals a few turns. This will make clipping out easer especally when trying to clipout under tension.

Getting unclipped when your riding around a field or a nice smooth trail can be very different then trying to unclip when you've lost your moment on a steep single track trail. Looking around to see what looks like the softest place to fall over is not a really fun thing:D

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
just go slow and unclip early. i've been riding clipless for a couple years and still haven't fallen at an intersection.

my first pair were on a road bike, though.

"TWIST, not Pull"

If you were racing with toestraps and cleats, that will be the biggest difference: the way you get out in a panic. Of course, if you try to pull out and back, like with straps, your clipless will stay engage and you will die a horrible death caused by a severed femoral artery. However, if you practice the mantra, "Twist, not Pull", you may avoid this fate.

While riding, practice kicking out and stepping back into the pedals. After a few weeks, it will be second nature and you'll never look back.

Wow what a great bunch of advice. Where were you folks and this site when I started clipless?

Heidi, At least twice? Wow optimistic sweetie! For me it was at least twice the first two stops I made! Fortunately I was on a rural trail and nobody was around to witness it. My single worst fall ever was with them too. I wheelied into a strong wind and all I had to do was put my feet down as the bike went over. Could not get out in time and fell square on my lower back and elbow. (Fortunately I think my head and helmet broke my fall)

Ride where you will stop shortly after starting. My problem the first time was I rode about 3 miles and decided to stop to adjust my radio station. I was on my elbow looking at the sky about 1 second later. Forgot completely about the locked in pedals!

Ebasil, Excellent advice I have twisting ankles now that must look like some new propulsion technique when I'm unclipping.

When I had a guy from the LBS show me he was wearing ordinary looking shoes that had clipless soles I bought them. I hated the look and the awkward walking of the common "bike shoes".

I have a pair of Low top hiking shoes with clipless cleats. They walk fine and look like regular shoes. The same guy at the bike shop said to me one day. "I could never ride platforms again. I would feel loose and disconnected from the bike". Hmmmmm I never could relate to that when I first started using them, They spooked me period!

I have been riding clipless for about 2 years now and recently bought a new Kona Stinky Deelux with platforms. I rode that bike for about a month and took the platforms off and went to Shimano M-324's they are clipless on one side and cage platforms on the other. Now when I find myself in a bind crossing a long narrow log or ladder I can have platforms and on a steep technical up hill I can grind away without my feet coming loose from the clipless side. They also make for great bunny hops over logs on the trail when your feet actually help lift the back of the bike at the jump.

Now several years later I cannot imagine riding without clipless pedals. I would feel uncomfortable without them. Mine are nearly as loose as possible too. Enough tension to crank like mad with perfect attatchment to the pedals but with a slight twist of the heel I'm out of them. They are a brilliant design for us, you're making the right choice to use them and you will get the hang of it. Just stay away from big glass windows at the outlet Mall which you might use to break your fall (don't ask)

1speed

Chimp
Oct 1, 2001
boulder
practice like everyone is saying in an area that is flater and more condusive to falling. if you jump right on a technical trail with clipless pedals, you will fall . i remember my first clipless day one the trail found me lying in 2 ft of march stream water at a tech. river crossing. needless to say both my ft were still clipped in as the cold water rolled over me. it will become second nature after a while but in the beginning just be aware that you are attached to your bike now.

some pedals will release differently so pratice your release in various crank positions. you will grow to love them i'm sure and they will help you out more than you could have imagined.

good luck:thumb:

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Huge difference too, a grass field is great for practicing although most everyone can attest occasionally you will still fall down clipped in once in a while for like a full year, it really doesn't hurt much more than your ego since your stopping anyhow.

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
I just clicked in and rode. I fell twice, once on a hill that was too steep for the gear I was in so I stoped and fell over and on my front lawn when I bunnyhoped uncliped on the one side (not on poupouse) and fell over.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I'm supprised no one said this yet...

There are TWO types of cleats. 2 !!!

I forget the numbers, but basicly, with one fo them, you can only un-clip side to side...
with the other, you can unclip w/ more upward force as well.
(ie. it has more release angles)

Try to learn on the multi position release cleats.

Edit:

Here are the two cleats:
http://cambriabike.com/pedals/pedal_cleats.htm]

The SH 51 is the "single" release cleat
and SH 55 is the MULTI release cleat

From Shimano Site:
SM-SH51 - SPD®
Single direction release by twisting your heels to the outside and integrates our "Easy step in" feature.

SM-SH55 - SPD®
Multi-directional release which allows the cleat to release by twisting your heel in any direction and integrates our "Easy step in" feature

You should start with the 55.
The way to tell (from what I remember) is by looking at the HEEL part of it. The Multi cleat goes in a little and the single is squared. Now this is NOT just looking at it by turning it over, they look the same there. You have to look kind UNDER the surface. Lemme see if I can draw something and attach it.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
if your using new pedals and new cleats youll have to wait a little for them to wear in but make sure that the pedals are quite loose so that you can clip out easily

i suggest that you practice pedalling clipped in and then clip out at various rotations of the pedal as well as clipping back in at various rotations of a pedal.

you also have to learn exactly where in your foot the cleat is so that you can practically always put your foot on the pedal in the right spot.

Just dont atempt any wheelies while clipped as a beginner i know it sounds obvious but ive seen people do this.

The longer you ride with them the more natural it will become

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
Like lube you pedals like a chain ,and also clean you shoes ,I have been riding with clipless since I got my bike ;) ;) ,and I have only fallen when I relly needed :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ,or when my cleats are loaded with mud and my buddy Mike D is unable to continue up the little climb :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: ;) ;) ;) ;)