Quantcast

Any truth to the rumor that sqaure tapers can be turned to a splined crank?

L

Lurch..

my mate told me the other day that the raceface square tapers can be machined out to the isis spline. any truth to that? i know it would void the warrynty (cranks r second hand anyway) so im not worried there.

cu~

G

gravity

i seriously doubt that is possible. maybe a custom machinist could do it, but the cranks would have less material in a highly stressed area, and are not designed to take strain as such. cranks aren't THAT much, by the time you mucked around with machining and testing, you might as well have bought new ones.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by shocktower
It could not be done ,sorry :(

And even if it could be done a square tapered arm is a different design than the Isis. You would probably lose quite abit of streingth. Plus with the time and effort it would take to F up those cranks, you could buy some new ones. My 0.02

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I don't know if I can be done but even if it could you are taking a chance with a very HIGH stress part of the bike. Plus Isis BB aren't that expensive. 40 bucks for a decent one.

L

Lurch..

aw man, u lost me on that one!
do u mean a crank with 7 arms instead of 5? or a 7 spline BB? or 7 cranks on the one crank (completly impracticle, but hey!)
i think i need sleep

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Originally posted by Lurch..
aw man, u lost me on that one!
do u mean a crank with 7 arms instead of 5? or a 7 spline BB? or 7 cranks on the one crank (completly impracticle, but hey!)
i think i need sleep
or
just look at the avatar for a hint on the 7 thing
v