Quantcast

Any types of bikes allowed?

goaway

Chimp
Aug 28, 2007
Heya.
I have a BMX trail bike
It surely won't compare to any of your DH MTBs, but I was wondering if I can use it at Diablo?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
ya u can only ride if u have front suspension only. and im not too sure u would make it down alive on a BMX bike anyway

goaway

Chimp
Aug 28, 2007
yep, the only travel you have is the bounce of your tires, and the only impact absobing you have is your arms, legs, and tubes.

But can I still ride over there?
where I live, theres no dirt jumps, or any trails
and diablo looks exactly what i crave for.

edit: woah an answer fork?
The only answer fork i know of are made of CF
Pretty cool, but quite expensive race fork

G-RockMurray

Monkey
Jun 27, 2007
yeah ya might have fun on upper and lower....would be diffrent for ya thats for sure.....but ya aint makin it down......could hike back to the lift i guess

goaway

Chimp
Aug 28, 2007
Why wouldn't I make it down though?
I know its bumpy..but i mean I dont see why I wouldn't make it down?

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
Why wouldn't I make it down though?
I know its bumpy..but i mean I dont see why I wouldn't make it down?
Bumpy isn't quite the word. With 20" tires and nothing to absorb the ruts, loose rocks, etc. you would be all over the place. I honestly don't think you are even allowed on the lift without some type of front suspension fork...

Rob Munro

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
don't take it as a challenge to your riding ability, take it as solid advice from guys who ride there all the time. except for the Dominions, you will be absolutely miserable. and its a LONG way from Lower Dominion to the base. my recommendation is to rent a DH bike and have the best day possible.

goaway

Chimp
Aug 28, 2007
But this sucks though,
I want a DH bike, but I can't find one thats a beginner one, but doesn't cost so much.

G-RockMurray

Monkey
Jun 27, 2007
yeah rent dude......i was lucky i got to try out the bike i bought (used) in ringwood.....got a good feel for it then had to have it.....its where my tax return money went......but if you do like it there's always used bikes for sale.....just find a good shop mechanic to check it out for you

goaway

Chimp
Aug 28, 2007
I have a basic feel for a hard tail mountain bike, and I've rode a very expensive trek about a year and a half ago, and I like it,
I'm not really looking to rent, because I will get very addicted, and the bike I would be renting would most likely be ten times better then a bike I would buy.

I've been looking at bikes at jensonusa.com, but it seems like none of them is in my 'exact' price range, except the Schwinn Rocket, but that doesn't seem all that great,
I've seen reviews on Mongoose full suspension bikes, and they seem to get pretty good reviews, and I hope the Mongoose MTB division is different from their BMX divison, because their BMX bikes arent so great.
Well, this bike seems to be in my price range, and it's fairly well equipped. You guys are the experts here, and I know the site I will be linking isn't exactly "a bike shop" with "proper bikes," but, is this bike a proper MTB bike?
It's always upgradeable, anyway.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4698935

And i'm a beginner, I'm not going to spend $1000+ on some expert bike, so i'd rather start small.

mklie

Monkey
May 25, 2007
Sorry to say that bike will be garbage by the end of the day. If I may suggest my kid has an Iron Horse, is 10 years old and 60 lbs. That bike after about a year and a half is ready for the garbage. Please do yourself a favor and rent.

bobushka king

Irontaint
Jun 26, 2007
I have a basic feel for a hard tail mountain bike, and I've rode a very expensive trek about a year and a half ago, and I like it,
I'm not really looking to rent, because I will get very addicted, and the bike I would be renting would most likely be ten times better then a bike I would buy.

I've been looking at bikes at jensonusa.com, but it seems like none of them is in my 'exact' price range, except the Schwinn Rocket, but that doesn't seem all that great,
I've seen reviews on Mongoose full suspension bikes, and they seem to get pretty good reviews, and I hope the Mongoose MTB division is different from their BMX divison, because their BMX bikes arent so great.
Well, this bike seems to be in my price range, and it's fairly well equipped. You guys are the experts here, and I know the site I will be linking isn't exactly "a bike shop" with "proper bikes," but, is this bike a proper MTB bike?

And i'm a beginner, I'm not going to spend $1000+ on some expert bike, so i'd rather start small.

look for a good used bike in the classified section of this forum/craigslist/ebay before buying a junky new bike. You can probably pick up something nice for less than $800. Or you can wait till the end of the season and buy one of Diablo's rental bikes. Not sure how much the 7point3s are going to go for, but as of last year they were selling the Yakuzas for $500 each.

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
Seriously, stay away from any department store bike. They are NOT built to take any kind of real punishment. The components are garbage, the bike is guaranteed to break at some point, and you know that Wal-Mart has no experienced bike builders or techs to help you with your problem.

Look on MTBR at some of the reviews. Like Bob said, Diablo lets the Yakuzas go for about $500 at the end of each season, which generally only need routine maintenance to get back into perfect shape. Bikes like Specialized's BigHit are also well under $1000 used.

Trust us on this. DON'T buy a Wal-Mart bike. It will be a complete waste of time and money.

Jun 28, 2007

DO not buy that you will kick your own ass. nake suspension and frame cracks on those type of bikes

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
unfortunatly hell no, whether u are a pro or not u need a "pro" bike. the rocks u will be hitting are way more than 4 inches high.... speclialized bighits are usually good for begininers, look for kona stinkys as well. what ever bike u get should have no less than 6.8 inches of travel and most likely a triple crown fork

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
Alright alright.
I've been looking at a K2 Crush used that goes for $350,
Will this do?
Good beginner bike, not for diablo though... look at it this way. Last season I built a bike, 3-4" travel, good components, crap frame. I did not have the intentions of "getting in to" dh/fr so much... I used that bike mabye a total of 10 times, only 3 of which at diablo. That bike was a waste of money +$500, because if I just rented, and bought a good bike to begin with, I could have saved the money.

Honestly, not to put you down or anything, but plan on spending more than $400 on a used diablo rig. Otherwise the bike will break, or you will break. Also, keep in mind this sport is expensive, parts, tubes, lift passes, ect.

And again, im not trying to turn you away, just giving you a heads up, I would have loved for someone to do the same to me. And if that's all you can afford, be patient and save. It will be worth it in the long run.

bobushka king

Irontaint
Jun 26, 2007
Honestly, not to put you down or anything, but plan on spending more than $400 on a used diablo rig. Otherwise the bike will break, or you will break. Also, keep in mind this sport is expensive, parts, tubes, lift passes, ect..
Don't forget about a full face helmet, shin pads, gloves, etc. Like it's been said before, this isn't a cheap sport to get into. If you just go out and buy a bike on your own, plan to spend at least another $200+ to get the bike in tip top shape (a good tune up) and for protection for yourself. Thats why most people suggest to rent for the day if it's your first time. For $89 you get a damn good bike thats well maintained and is made for the type of riding, a helmet (bring fabreeze and a bandana :rofl:), chest, shin, and elbow protection.

Oh and if you do look for a bike, Specialized Big Hits are always a good choice :biggrin:

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
yes... what big-hit-bob^ is saying is true. I have spent over $300 just on pads, but that's just 'cuz im chicken.

goaway

Chimp
Aug 28, 2007
Alright, thanks guys.
I did notice how much protection costs, and I am considering that.
I'm looking into Ironhorse, because I've found some cheap DH ones on craigslist.
I'm going to wait until I get a job [im 13] until I actually get into the sport.

Thanks though.

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
nah.... just rake a few lawns this fall, youll get a bike sooner then you think, plus it will build up your arms for dh/fr.