Quantcast

Any updates on the Baldy situation?

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
Well, remember, the goal is to pay the rancher $30,000 ... not that much when you consider:

The ranches exposure to legal issues.
Insurance.
The size of the property that we'd be using.
It's 4 days a month, not 12 rides, 48 days worth of riding.

Are you going to join us today? If so, DO NOT ENTER OFF FOXEN CANYON, go in off ZACA STATION, look for the tires that I'm putting out as guides to the new parking area.

Also, Patrick, please burn me that photo disk from the 24 hour race.

Happy New Year!

Mike

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
oh yeah, I forgot.

We can design and build all the routes and there are no peszky hikers to complain or avoid. That alone is worth the price!

I already have a route in mind for the second DH run.

mh :banana:

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
I think you'll find that unlike moto guys, DHers are lazy and poor.
I disagree. Look at how many people show up for a weekend of racing Fontana, and that's probably a $100 weekend per person.

Hecktone, I think you could make it happen if you had multiple quality trails and a reasonable shuttle system. I don't want to have to pay that much and have to hike to the top, and I certainly won't pay that much to ride the same crappy 3 trails. But, I'd most definitely pay for quality and convenience, and I think most people would say the same. also, if this succeeds it will breed other opportunities.

Put this in a new thread, please. This sounds pretty exciting.

al7barfly

Chimp
Feb 18, 2005
It's definetly riding season. Is there any chance that the powers that be will move forward with this project? Is the issue still on the table? Anyone have some updated info?

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
We have a USFS paid biologist that will be lurking around in the trees talking to the big horn sheep to find out how they feel about an incresease in summer resort use.

It's not really a money issue at all. I've secured financial backing for the construction of the park.

It comes done to politics really. Anybody know a few powerful L.A. politicians?

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I like sheep as much as the next guy, but this is why i hate environazis. in their own way they are more conservative than the conservatives, and they quite openly place the happiness of creepy crawly critters higher on their list of priorities than humans. A hugely important project for the LA riding scene is stalled because it might maybe possibly bother these animals.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
hmm.. I thought this wouldn't get off the ground until after I moved but I thought it would be going strong by now...D