Quantcast

Any value in refurbishing hayes mags?

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Totally worth it. Mags were THE brake back in the days. Of course, now, people bag them cause they constantly compare them to modern, better performing brakes. But if it's for an AM/XC/DJ/4x/DS rig, I'd spend the money on them in an instant. THey are infinitely rebuildable and provide more than enough power for applications other than full on DH.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think my beef is that I can't afford real brakes like full on saints or the ones, and I don't want to pay more money for mediocre brakes like juicies or elixirs or low end strokers. I'm not sold that xts are as good as real DH brakes, but if I save money on brakes, I can spend it on a fork or tires.

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
ha, I un-****ed my mags. I'm gonna grab some 26 levers for $20 and see what happens. I'll have to see if i can ghetto rig some kind of a boot over the push rod, but whatever.
good for you to not buy into the hype of spending $. I saw your in waltham? when your get ready to test your brakes out shoot me a pm, got some killer trails just south of you.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
seriously...there are some really incredible new brakes out...
Ay, and they cost $400.

http://www.blueskycycling.com/product457_66_-Shimano_Deore_SLX_M666_Disc_Brake_w_Adapters__Rotor.htm

at prices like these there's no sense in messing with old stuff long past it's day
$200 for new, untested slx, which are still single piston brakes. The ones you show don't appear to have the finned pads or ice tech rotors...and still, $40 is less than $200. If this experiment fails, or If I were looking for new brakes, I'd go for the slxes, but I stand to save $170 if I can make the Hayes sing, and I have no idea if slx will actually be an improvement, or an overhyped excuse like elixirs or juicies or some of the single piston maguras ive tried.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Dunno, if you haven't already, you should look around a bit - I just picked up a pair of well maintained codes for 120 - friend deal, however.
Yeah I'm not sure I want codes. I've seen too many issues with Avid brakes to want to buy a set. When they work, they are nice though....we'll see.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Totally worth it. Mags were THE brake back in the days.
and sun double wides were THE rim back in the day. times have changed.

don't get me wrong, the mags were great brakes - back then. they were a huge hit because they were the first hydraulic disc that worked and was generally reliable - in comparison to everything else on the market. hell, i rode a set for 5 years and never bled them, just changed brake pads as needed and they just kept right on trucking. i would've kept using them to, but i got a smoking deal on a set of saint brakes that i couldn't pass up. it was then i realized what I was missing out on.

MichaelT

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
home
Sandwich - I may have some spare parts, let me know what you need. If I am not mistaken, I am relatively close to you as well. I could drop them off at a trail head. Also, if you like the brakes then why not put $20 in them? Hayes Strokers Trails are good brakes. You might need to use a larger rotor up front, that is what I did, 7" up front and 5" in the back for a trail bike. I liked them for my trail bike application better than the MAGS. Again, my opinion, not a fact.

SuspectDevice - no laughing, I have a friend that is of the similar opinion. If you like it, you like it. Also... what is that saying... 'Wrung whatcha Brung!'

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'll see what happens. I was able to scavenge enough parts off of a hayes nine assembly to make my mag work, but now it's missing the outer boot, which the nine never had. I'll see if I can find some kind of condom to put over the think or just slather it with some kind of grease, or just run it and let nature do its work.

Again, I'm not trying to rationalize that mags are going to beat out the best modern brakes, but if a little work will breathe some life into them long enough to hold me over for a season of riding, then I'm OK with that.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah, that's why i can't afford blingy brakes. and it's not a matter of spending $200, it's a matter of spending $200 on **** that might not work. So far, I can only find one person on ridemonkey's experience with XTs, and they work for a company that sells bike parts, and they weight significantly less than I do, and they didn't use them for DH. I have not read a single review for XT or SLX brakes on a DH bike, just that they are "totally sweet" on XC bikes.

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
For what its worth, I rode a set of new-gen XTs this past summer, It had the Ice-Tech Pads and Rotors too.

It was on a AM bike though, but to be fair we we're riding DH trails all day, I weigh around 240lb and did not feel one bit a fade on the descents. When I wanted the power it was there and with ample amounts. I also like to drag the brakes like an old granny on the descents... At the end of the day, I left the trails wanting a complete XT group.

I've had Juicys, Elixir CR, Formula Teh Ones, Saints. I've tried and test ridden alot if not most of whats available. The new XTs and SLXs are indeed worth the hype, The SLX features the same caliper as the XTs but the lever does not have the bite stroke adjust, which in IME doesnt do much of anything anyway.

If I were to buy new brakes tomorrow, I would instantaneously go to Shimano. The new stuff is just insanely good, and are IME the most reliable out there.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I had the m775 XTs on my DH bike and they were fine. Reliable, stronge, and pretty fade resistant to all but the longest east koast rox descents. Wasn't in love with the lever set up, but I got used to it, and they are now on my Spitfire (even with 160 rotors, they are more than strong enough for all trail/AM applications). Ended up with Saints on my DH bike, and as expected they are fantastic IMO.

EDIT - sorta sniped by the above poster, but yeah, what he said.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Sounds good. My BPE screw never did ANYTHING on my saints. I had hopes that they would fix it on later models, but no confirmation yet. I agree that shimano has been making some of the best brakes lately, my saints were flawless for three years, I regret selling them with the bike.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

For $26, how could I not? We'll see how they do in real life, so far so good though, although the lever blade is a little flat and therefore painful. I may have a fix for that forthcoming...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Holy shlt, that's pretty classic.

That IS a shopped image right?

Right?

Compared to those cheapo deore hydros from up to 5 years ago, hayes has STILL never made a brake that comes close........at least now they advertise with honesty :D

ruralrider

Chimp
Nov 22, 2011
NY
AHAHAHA, Im not bashing too hard on hayes. I used a pair of Hfx 9 HD for a few years, they did their job decently and the braided stainless steel lines I put on them probably helped a bit. I believe that AD from Hayes was in fact real.