Quantcast

Anybody else mental and can't fly?

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Like me? Mental? I'm going to FL in September for a week of Disney world (My 7yo daughters dream)
I'm so thrilled :dead:

Anyhow, I wish I could fly, as it's going to take focking 24 hours to drive down there, and then another 24 hours to drive back. I know if I go on a plane, I'll have a panic attack. Last flight I was on was a value jet, 2 weeks before the everglade crash. I went via this POS Valujet to FL and drove the f*** back as the flight was so horrible. UP AND DOWN AND UP AND DOWN. Sweating, shaking, the whole way. Now before anyone mentions valium, klonazepam, and the like. Those drugs do little to nothing for me. YES, that's how whacked out I am. I do have knonazepam, I think .5mg that I take when I get anxiety. Helps a little, but usually a beer makes it go away instantly. But I don't know if I'll feel comforted getting on a plane even if I've had a 6 pack beforehand. Anxiety sucks. It really does. Unless you've ever had it, you can't begin to understand how debilitating it is. IT SUCKS. Luckily I don't get panic attacks really anymore as I've had so many, I usually tell myself "well, I've had 100's of other attacks and I'm still alive, and the worst thing that could happen is :dead: and that might not be that bad, as I'll have no more anxiety." My fear is that I'll get on the plane, start sweating, shaking, dizzy, etc.... and wont be able to get off the frign plane. It sucks. I can't do the things other people get to do. I can't go anywhere on vacation. I'd like to go to Vegas, etc.. I know the statistics and whatnot about flying so you don't have to go over that, it doesn't comfort me one bit. My main fear is this. Which are you most likely to survive, a car crash or a plane crash? End of story.
So here are my options

1. Somehow fly to FL (don't know how that is possible)
About $600 roundtrip I think for 3 people
Probably $500 for a rental for the week + gas

2. Rent a minivan. Total will cost about $1300
$500 rental fee, includes 1000 miles
3000 miles total roundtrip including
driving here and there down in FL
So that's 2000 miles left over x .25c/mile = $500
Fill the car like 6 times with gas= $250-300
Total like $1200-1300

3. Drive my own vehicle, 03 Jeep Liberty, spend $300 gas
and have lots of money left over for the brooklyn fund

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i love flying it's relaxing, better than being in traffic around here and safer too. i really don't know what the big deal is with dying from a plane crash, would be pretty exciting before you die and if you live, well what a story to tell.....

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
To answer your question Knuck, no problems here. In fact, I can pretty much fall asleep instantly on any form of moving transportation (with the exception of a bike, of course :p ).

I can't imagine driving that far. :dead:

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Skookum said:
i love flying it's relaxing, better than being in traffic around here and safer too. i really don't know what the big deal is with dying from a plane crash, would be pretty exciting before you die and if you live, well what a story to tell.....
Exactly.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I'm flying on Friday, if somebody upstairs punches your ticket doesn't matter where you are or what you're in.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
My dad hates flying. He takes something before he gets on. Kind of Ironic that he spent 25 years in the Air Force.

Been there with the panic attacks. Had a couple last year after my mom passed away. That is some scary ****. Thought I was going to die during the first one.

Don't have any problems with flying, though.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Knuckleslammer said:
Like me? Mental? I'm going to FL in September for a week of Disney world (My 7yo daughters dream)
I'm so thrilled :dead:

Anyhow, I wish I could fly, as it's going to take focking 24 hours to drive down there, and then another 24 hours to drive back. I know if I go on a plane, I'll have a panic attack. Last flight I was on was a value jet, 2 weeks before the everglade crash. I went via this POS Valujet to FL and drove the f*** back as the flight was so horrible. UP AND DOWN AND UP AND DOWN. Sweating, shaking, the whole way. Now before anyone mentions valium, klonazepam, and the like. Those drugs do little to nothing for me. YES, that's how whacked out I am. I do have knonazepam, I think .5mg that I take when I get anxiety. Helps a little, but usually a beer makes it go away instantly. But I don't know if I'll feel comforted getting on a plane even if I've had a 6 pack beforehand. Anxiety sucks. It really does. Unless you've ever had it, you can't begin to understand how debilitating it is. IT SUCKS. Luckily I don't get panic attacks really anymore as I've had so many, I usually tell myself "well, I've had 100's of other attacks and I'm still alive, and the worst thing that could happen is :dead: and that might not be that bad, as I'll have no more anxiety." My fear is that I'll get on the plane, start sweating, shaking, dizzy, etc.... and wont be able to get off the frign plane. It sucks. I can't do the things other people get to do. I can't go anywhere on vacation. I'd like to go to Vegas, etc.. I know the statistics and whatnot about flying so you don't have to go over that, it doesn't comfort me one bit. My main fear is this. Which are you most likely to survive, a car crash or a plane crash? End of story.
So here are my options

1. Somehow fly to FL (don't know how that is possible)
About $600 roundtrip I think for 3 people
Probably $500 for a rental for the week + gas

2. Rent a minivan. Total will cost about $1300
$500 rental fee, includes 1000 miles
3000 miles total roundtrip including
driving here and there down in FL
So that's 2000 miles left over x .25c/mile = $500
Fill the car like 6 times with gas= $250-300
Total like $1200-1300

3. Drive my own vehicle, 03 Jeep Liberty, spend $300 gas
and have lots of money left over for the brooklyn fund
Hahaha....this is funny. I was just talking about the same thing today at work.

I'm flying to Boston(from Seattle)in September and I'm starting to freak out. I have flown tons of times before this, but it's been about 8 years. I'm starting to think of ways to get out of the trip, but my mother would kill me.

I'm not sure what I'm so worried about, I know in reality the odds on the plane crashing is pretty low. There is just something about being in the air that just doesn't sit right with me.

I have an appt. with my doctor next week to talk about my flight fears. Unfortunately I'll probably end up taking a valuim or something just to relax myself enough to get on the flight and sleep. At least it's a non-stop flight.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
golgiaparatus said:
PROBLEM SOLVED

If you have panic attacks you could probably just get a prescrip.

Valium does nothing. Had it in the hospital prior to a Gastroscope. All I heard was.
"hey, he's not asleep?"
"nope"
"how much you give him?"
"max dosage"
The procedure failed as I couldn't swallow the scope.
Got back to the recoup area, ripped out the IV, got up, walked out while a nurse (male) was yelling at me "hey, you should be asleep"

YA, SHOULD, BUT AIN'T F-OFF
and I walked out.
Valium and all that other crap is like a sugar pill as far as I'm concerned.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Did the drive thing from Somerville, MA to Miami, FL... but we told Hertz we were staying in New England and there was no milage charge. :devil:

It was the Thanksgiving after Sept 11th, and since we had gotten stranded in Miami on 9/11, we chose alternate transportation.

Cost us less than the cost of 1 ticket... and we got to stop off and see freinds in NJ and SC on the way down, and stopped back in NY on the way back.

Would do it again since we have freinds all up and down the eastern seaboard, just means you take longer to get there... but you enjoy it!

I would not do it if it meant driving the entire distance in one shot... especially with a child!!!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Knuckleslammer said:
Valium does nothing. Had it in the hospital prior to a Gastroscope. All I heard was.
"hey, he's not asleep?"
"nope"
"how much you give him?"
"max dosage"
The procedure failed as I couldn't swallow the scope.
Got back to the recoup area, ripped out the IV, got up, walked out while a nurse (male) was yelling at me "hey, you should be asleep"

YA, SHOULD, BUT AIN'T F-OFF
and I walked out.
Valium and all that other crap is like a sugar pill as far as I'm concerned.
Was the male nurse's name Greg?

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Slugman said:
Did the drive thing from Somerville, MA to Miami, FL... but we told Hertz we were staying in New England and there was no milage charge. :devil:

It was the Thanksgiving after Sept 11th, and since we had gotten stranded in Miami on 9/11, we chose alternate transportation.

Cost us less than the cost of 1 ticket... and we got to stop off and see freinds in NJ and SC on the way down, and stopped back in NY on the way back.

Would do it again since we have freinds all up and down the eastern seaboard, just means you take longer to get there... but you enjoy it!

I would not do it if it meant driving the entire distance in one shot... especially with a child!!!

don't they check the mileage on the vehicle after?

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Does anybody remember how the rest of the A-Team would somehow trick and/or drug BA Baracus to get him onto a plane? Maybe the rest of your family could watch old A-Team re-runs and employ some of their covert tactics.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
nope, you're just nuts. driving is more dangerous than flying, and takes a lot longer. if you're 22 and with a couple friends, road trips are fun. but with kids? :help:
suck it up and fly, foo.
and if you puss out and drive down there :nopity: :nopity: :nopity:

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Knuckleslammer said:
don't they check the mileage on the vehicle after?
Sure do... but since they thought we stayed local, so we got unlimited milage. I'm sure they thought it was weird, but they couldn't prove I left the area.

Now if I had gotten a speeding ticket or in an accident... I would have been F'ed!

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Slugman said:
The problem with that is.....

Read your rental contract (as a former Enterprise employee) it states which "States" you are allowed to travel. Usually "local area rentals" are defined on the back of the contract. If nothing happens you would be fine. However if something happens with the rental car you would be owning it. So much so that even your own insurance probably wouldn't cover you, since the caveat of most auto insurance policies on rental vehicles is... You are covered so long as you do not violate the "Rental Agreement."

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
did they play frenetic hardcore songs which ended 30 seconds later, and then the singer would sweetly say "thank you"?

if so, that's them.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
I'm with you Knuck! Panic reactions suck and planes are the worst place to be when they happen. I used to love flying and suddenly, after a long time away from it, I just started getting claustrophobic as soon as I got on the plane. Maybe it was just from not doing it for a while or that low dose of acid I...oh wait, that's a whole other story.

I've taken the same stuff that you have (klonazepam) and it worked for me, but you have to remember that .5 mg is a rediculously low dose of that stuff. Talk to your doctor for recommendations about taking a higher dose.

splat

Nam I am
Snacks said:
Hahaha....this is funny. I was just talking about the same thing today at work.

I'm flying to Boston(from Seattle)in September and I'm starting to freak out. I have flown tons of times before this, but it's been about 8 years. I'm starting to think of ways to get out of the trip, but my mother would kill me.
Your coming to Boston ? Bringing your Bike ? Some of us NE :monkey:s could show you some good old New England trails .

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I'm pretty sure your reactions stem from a lack of control over the flight. It's not flying, per se...it's just the idea of being in a big metal tube, and if something goes wrong, you can't do squat about it, and have to hang on for the ride of the end of your life, all the while trying to make your kids feel that somehow, things will be OK and you're not all going to vaporize or be mangled beyond recognition or charred when the plane hits the ground.

So, I'd suggest hijacking...that way, you can fly the plane yourself, and thus alleviate your reaction to the loss of control.

And yeah, it's a lot safer to fly than it is to drive.

MD

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
It's your vacation, if you're not going to enjoy flying, then drive. That will make the whole thing more relaxed and enjoyable, if not cheaper, for you. Just make sure you line it up so you're on route 95 in the middle of the night. Smooth sailing in the wee hours. 24 hours with another person keeping you company isn't so bad.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
splat said:
Your coming to Boston ? Bringing your Bike ? Some of us NE :monkey:s could show you some good old New England trails .
Yep, for 10 days. I'm not sure if I'm bringing my bike. I just broke my ankle a week ago and I'm not sure how it will be feeling by the end of September. Is there some good riding on the East Coast?

We are seeing the Red Sox play the Yankee's :devil:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
All right. Quit your pissin' and moanin' - I just drove 24 hours with a 2yr old AND a 3yr old from Denver to Ohio. Then three days later I flew back to Denver. Then in 10 days I'm flying back to Ohio, driving to MI, spending a week there, then driving 24-focking-more hours back to Denver.

And you know what? The drive out wasn't bad at all. :D Hopefully the drive back will be as uneventful.

-S.S.-

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
MikeD said:
I'm pretty sure your reactions stem from a lack of control over the flight. It's not flying, per se...it's just the idea of being in a big metal tube, and if something goes wrong, you can't do squat about it, and have to hang on for the ride of the end of your life, all the while trying to make your kids feel that somehow, things will be OK and you're not all going to vaporize or be mangled beyond recognition or charred when the plane hits the ground.

So, I'd suggest hijacking...that way, you can fly the plane yourself, and thus alleviate your reaction to the loss of control.
MD
i heard that Dr. Phil is coming out with his own breakfast cereal, gonna be called Pyschiatric Crunch or something....

splat

Nam I am
Snacks said:
Yep, for 10 days. I'm not sure if I'm bringing my bike. I just broke my ankle a week ago and I'm not sure how it will be feeling by the end of September. Is there some good riding on the East Coast?

We are seeing the Red Sox play the Yankee's :devil:
hell yeah , we got some good riding !!!

Sox/yanks @ Fenway ! always Tough tickets to get.

you broke your ankle , Skokie broke his leg , whats going out out there in the PNW ?

BTW Snacks after having just done my first Triathalon, I love you sig.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I hate flying. I'm ok once the plane gets off the ground, but I'm a wreck on the way to the airport even. Heart races, I sweat, and generally start to panice.

I know the stats, I know I'm safer on the plane than driving to the bloody airport, but that doesn't matter.

What does help is modern chemistry. Ativan, to be specific. It beats getting drunk, because you don't get that insta-hangover when you get to cruising altitude. Doesn't really make me that drowsy either, it just makes me normal long enough to get on the plane.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I Are Baboon said:
Song planes (Delta's express service) now have TV's on the back of each seat. :dancing:

I worked on those very planes.... I designed a few electrical mods...as those are some freaky old 757's that they used for the Song airplanes.

Ever notice how most crashes are due to electircal failures?

enjoy THAT bit of knowledge.....

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
MtnBikerChk said:
I have friends who drive to FL every year (because they are too cheap to fly). If you don't mind the drive, then just suck it up and do it. It beats the alternative (not going).
i guess it depends on how many people are driving in the car...the air distance between boston and orlando is roughly 1100 miles(http://www.savvy-discounts.com/discount-travel/JavaAirportCalc.html), so figure at least 1200 for driving (likely more). the IRS mileage rate for '04 is 37.5 cents per mile...so figure a round trip cost of about $900. if there are just two people driving, this will probably be more $.

and you can't get speeding tickets in a plane.