Quantcast

Anybody have wrist problems when riding?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
My wrists aren't in the greatest shape from years of falling on my skateboard when I was younger. Riding irritates them, I especially notice it a few hours later. Anybody have any suggestions for support while I'm riding?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I have the same issues, also skateboard (And hockey///) related. I consulted an orthopd who is also an old friend regarding same. His input was quit riding. When I stated this was not feasible he counsled to monkey whit bar angles and other positioning. This has seemd to work okay, combined with lots of wrist strengthening and flexibility movements, which I now do almost constantly.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I have the exact same problem from skating. I have found I have to get bars with the correct sweep and rotate them forward just right to spread the weight across my hand. Also, carbon bars help if your wrists are getting spiked on hard hits.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
Ergons help.

Agree. Highly recommended even for those without hand issues. I don't have any hand/wrist issues even though I was very much into skateboarding as well (but I used wrist guards on the half pipe. I liked being able to slide on my hands). I went to Ergons because I wanted a bigger grip that wasn't all squishy. What I found was a level of comfort I didn't know was possible! Having the weight/impacts spread across my palm is much more plesant than a thin line across my hand. Now when I ride another bike without them it feels like the bars are going to cut my hands in half!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Thanks for the great info, I'm due for new grips so its good timing.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
Oh and another thing about the Ergons is that they keep your wrists aligned. Just don't be afraid to tilt them up. It will feel weird at first but you want your wrists straight.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
keep your wrists aligned
You don't need ergons to accomplish this you need to be sure that your shifter/brake levers are in a direct line down your arm through your wrist, meaning there is no angle in the wrist from the forearm to the hand. Proper position and strength really should cure most issues. For a short time I used Ace elastic wrist raps and the compression helped as well.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I have wrist issues..... A LOT of them. I have fractured both wrists probably a dozen times each.

When it comes to extended downhill runs, over and over short runs, or just pushing the limits it comes down to these.

http://www.evs-sports.com/product/ankles--wrists/wrist-brace/

Wear one on each wrist. Comfy and offer support while riding, and the foam backing plates offer impact protection to keep from damaging during a crash. Best investment I ever made for my wrists

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
You don't need ergons to accomplish this you need to be sure that your shifter/brake levers are in a direct line down your arm through your wrist, meaning there is no angle in the wrist from the forearm to the hand. Proper position and strength really should cure most issues. For a short time I used Ace elastic wrist raps and the compression helped as well.
:stupid: My hands are small and I didn't like the feel of the Ergons so I really worked my set-up (brake & shifter position, tilt of the bars and the width of my bars) and it's helped immensely...especially for 24 hour races, etc.

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
also if you're on rockshox, go marzocchi. the stiction messes with my ****ed up wrist bad, having a super plush fork helps a lot. carbon bars (or at least steel) sound good to, they should be soaking up lots of vibration.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Some good info in here... might try the ergons for arthritis? DH just kills, I can barely hold on by the end of a Whist-gnar trip. Oh.... drool... I'm craving some Black Velvet right now... I. Can't. Wait.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
If you can, try to find a bottle of Gibson's. It's what my Dad keeps stashed for the beloved members of his immediate family and close friends (even me, sometimes!) while the hordes drink Crown Royal.
I meant this black velvet ;)

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
I can only use the ergons when I'm riding a smooth XC trail. I attempted using them while DHing and my hands were killing me. I have fairly large hands but still found it hard to get a good solid grip with the ergon handles while riding DH.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I have wrist issues..... A LOT of them. I have fractured both wrists probably a dozen times each.

When it comes to extended downhill runs, over and over short runs, or just pushing the limits it comes down to these.

http://www.evs-sports.com/product/ankles--wrists/wrist-brace/

Wear one on each wrist. Comfy and offer support while riding, and the foam backing plates offer impact protection to keep from damaging during a crash. Best investment I ever made for my wrists

Ohh I like! I wonder if I could wear these all the time, seems like I keep mildly hurting my wrist since last Friday.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
When I was having wrist issues I found handle bars with larger sweep angles really helped. Titec Hell-Bents were my go-to solution. If I remember correctly they have about 11 degrees of sweep where most bars have about 9.

A-NON-A

Chimp
May 4, 2010
Inland Empire, Ca
My wrists have started hurting since I just started riding a DJ bike and hitting the Skate Park. Reminds me of Carpal Tunnel pain I had when I was like 20.