Quantcast

anybody know anything about transmissions?

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
I went to Speedee lube for an oil change before driving to big bear...been there a gazillion times...as we're headed home, the engine light goes on and the car is going up to 3500 rpms before it shifts into the next gear...so I take it to my mechanic...and he says that the diagnostic indicated something was amiss with the pressure in/with the transmission...and when he checked the transmission fluid...it had been overfilled with 1.5-2 quarts of fluid! So he drained it and put in the proper amount...and its running fine now. So where does that much extra fluid appear from if Speedee Lube didn't do it??? I called speedee and they said no, they only checked it...they did not add...isn't it odd that extra fluid would appear from no where? They swear they didn't top it off an now I have to pay my mechanic 100 bucks...and I didn't have ANY problems before I took it to speedee?

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
what type of car do you drive? Find out what type of fluid is recomended from the factory, have your transmission flushed and WATCH YOUR MENCHANIC POUR THE CORRECT FLUID IN!!!!!!!!!!!

Most mechanics think that oil is oil and don't give a sh!t what they put in your car. If you ask them for a specific fluid they will say "yeah we'll put that in" and then put in what ever they have laying around the shop.....pisses me off so much....had it happen to me.......then he is like "it's all the same sh!t...."

as to where the extra fluid came from.........I think you already know....always watch those guys at quick lube places, they will top your fluids off with what ever they have layin around also...not good...

post the make and model and i can tell you what fluid you need....

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Originally posted by jmvar
what type of car do you drive? Find out what type of fluid is recomended from the factory, have your transmission flushed and WATCH YOUR MENCHANIC POUR THE CORRECT FLUID IN!!!!!!!!!!!

Most mechanics think that oil is oil and don't give a sh!t what they put in your car. If you ask them for a specific fluid they will say "yeah we'll put that in" and then put in what ever they have laying around the shop.....pisses me off so much....had it happen to me.......then he is like "it's all the same sh!t...."

as to where the extra fluid came from.........I think you already know....always watch those guys at quick lube places, they will top your fluids off with what ever they have layin around also...not good...

post the make and model and i can tell you what fluid you need....
It's a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo...my mechanic isn't the one I'm worried about...he told me that my car takes a specific fluid and told me what it was but I can't remember cuz it's a moot point...

I just want the f uckers at speedee lube to pay me back for having my mechanic having to drain the fluid and replace it. The owner of speedee lube is telling me there is NO WAY his lil homeboys could have made a mistake and topped off the trans fluid. That its some other problem. I'm just wondering if theres a chance it IS some other problem before I scream at the guy and tell him he's lost a customer over a hundred bucks. That night they changed my serpentine belt and my air cleaner.

It seems odd to me that the car was fine before I took it to them on Wednesday night...Sunday I start having problems...mechanic checks the trans fluid...finds its been overfilled...fixes the problem, car is fine...they were the only ones under the hood unless of course the mysterious trans fluid troll got to my car...

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Originally posted by golgiaparatus
Im sure the lube place did it. THose people are usually careless morons. Either do it yourself or take it to a dealer or a very respected professional mechanic.
yeah I won't be going to speedee lube anymore...I've gone there for years and again...I bring up the issue of sh itty customer service...I guess I'll take it to my mechanic from now on...just kinda a pain in the ass to drive over there...and he's in the total hood, but he's good, he's honest and doesn't have a bunch of jackasses working for him.

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
different shack, same shotgun
Yeah, the only way to overfill a tranny is to fill it....the trans will leak out to the transfer case or trans cooler, not in. And that trans takes mopar fluid (chrysler) I think....if they topped it up with something else (dexron) that can cause problems too (mopar fluid is synthetic). I would document the incident, as overfilling and incorrect fluid can both cause problems that may show up later......the flushing idea is a good one.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
You are getting played dh girlie. Those dumbasses screwed up your car, and now they are denying it hoping you won't push the issue.

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
different shack, same shotgun
Originally posted by Echo
You are getting played dh girlie. Those dumbasses screwed up your car, and now they are denying it hoping you won't push the issue.
I agree....most cars don't have a drain plug on the trans- so if they accidentally overfilled it, they would have had to remove the pan to drain it- no way a quick lube place is doin that.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
dont take your car to those places ever. i took my car to the same jiffy lube for years thinking that they were ok guys. took it too a mechanic for some work, they took my oil pan off and those assholes at jiffy lube had been knocking disposable oil plugs (or something to that effect) down into my oil pan. while it had caused no damage to my car, the mechanic said that it could have if they hadnt caught it.

when i told the manager at jiffy lube so he would know that he lacky greaseball mechanics were ****ing off, he accused me of lying and basically told me there was no way i could prove that jiffy lube did it. i didnt even have any beef with them, i just figured he'd want to know that things were getting done half-assed. i will never take my car to a place like that again.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Talk to your mechanic, ask him if he is willing to help you fight these pinheads. If so, walk into the quicklube place and tell the manager that your mechanic is willing to testify on your behalf in small claims court...

Although It probably won't do you much good - those places F' up so much that all they will do is give you a gift certificate for a free oil change (or something equally useless). Like you're going to let them touch it again!

I lost a transmission and engine in my '79 CJ7 b/c of Jiffy Lube. I used to do all the work myslef, but since i got a gift certificate I figure what harm would happen...:dead:

BostonBullit

Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Medway, MA
I have one friend that pulled into the local speedy lube chain in his brand new Chebby pickup for it's first oil change. they proceeded to pump his power steering system full of 10W 40 motor oil. He saw the guy get a look of panic and then start doing all kinds of stuff. when they gave the car back they just said "ok, you're all set" and when he asked what had happened they said "oh nothing, just a little confusion" so he pressed the guy and finally got him to admit what happened. He wrote up a paper and had the manager sign it stating what happened just in case his steering system died....

My aunt brought her brand new Superoo Forrester to another speedy lube place because it needed it's first oil change and she didn't have time to go to the dealer before her trip to Maine. They drained her tranny and after realizing what they did they just put the plug back in and went on like everything was normal. There was just enough fliud left in the thing to have the converter engage, but not enough to keep it cool and running properly; hence the tranny chit the bed later that evening after a few miles of driving. after MUCH legal wrangling she got the shop to pay to put a reconditioned tranny in the car but ended up just trading it in for a new, unmolested car.

never ever goto those places, unless you're a reporter doing an undercover expose and you have hidden cameras all over the place.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Here goes...

The squeeky wheel gets the grease in this case. Do you have your receipt from Speedee Lube? If so check it, it might have that they checked and topped off the fluids. (that is usually the policy of those places) Then bring the WRITTEN repair order from your mechanic showing the diagnostics and repair of the over fill.

At only $100 I doubt it would be worth going much further than complaining. If Speedee Lube is a chain of any real size, look them up online and see if there is a corporate office. The little franchisee's usually jump much higher when when they are getting squeezed from corporate. Corporate much rather give you $100 to shut you up. Not to mention if you can produce a number of receipts showing that you were a good customer.

Thats all for now, good luck

derekbob

Monkey
Sep 4, 2003
Chico
A buddy of mine used to work at jiffy lube, he told some truely screwed up horror stories. He told all of us to avoid jiffy lube like the plague, I can only assume thats true for most quick lube places.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
yeah, those places will also overcharge you for the amt of oil put in....my truck's engine takes 6qts of oil and they charged me for 6 1/2.

fockers

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Yeah... I either have the dealer change the oil (on our new Lancer) or I do it myself (on my 94 Ranger.) When I was in college I took my 88 Prelude to a speedy lube and I think they overfilled the tranny fluid and had to drain some. Then they didn't tighten the drain plug.

About two days later, I was driving down the main drag and the 'Lude started shifting all weird. I took it to a transmission place and sure enough... cause $1800 worth of damage. When I talked to the manager of the jiffy lube, he (of course) denied everything and I didn't have proof.

:angry:

BostonBullit

Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Medway, MA
oh, the other thing they like to do is replace your real, screw in, OEM drain plugs with rubber one way speedy lube orafices....so if you ever go in one of them there places before you leave make sure you got all the same parts you had when you got there!