Quantcast

Anybody Loosing Tires On Stan's ZTR Flow Hoops?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Ianjenn - was the EXO that you blew off one of the new Tubeless Ready versions?
The first ones that blew off were EXO TUBELESS. I found out later than STANS cannot keep High Roller II EXO's on to save their lives....

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Is there any chance your riding has progressed since you moved to the DHR II, maybe you get more grip and can load it up more than previous tyres?

I found the quicker I rode the more pressure I had to run, I am a similar weight however with a different combo.
No am riding less and getting slower by the month. I was on it but not above 90% running higher air may help.

OBB

Monkey
Sep 25, 2008
Yes its the new EXO TUBELESS. I found out later than STANS cannot keep High Roller II EXO's on to save their lives....
Not sure what everyone is going on about in here but I'm reading alot of "hey I'm huge and run ridiculously low pressures and it's the tire or rim makers' faults that I can't keep it together".

Last time I checked, a 215lbs man should be running more than 30psi in his trail tires, especially when tubeless.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Last time I checked, a 215lbs man should be running more than 30psi in his trail tires, especially when tubeless.
The tire I was close to rolling was a STEEL BEAD DHR II 60a compound a 1400GRAM tire. The sidewall of the STans hoop is so shallow that is why we lost the EXO when the bike was first built. Then we found out all High Roller 2's wouldn't stay seated steel bead or not.....

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Touch under 180LBS (measured in Birthday suit).

Stans Flow EX: 28 - 30 ish front ... 30 ish at the rear.

Never had an issue with the with loose tyres, don't lose them either.

^^Perhaps it means I'm slow as fook though^^

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali

I understand why Stan's modified the sidewall to be more dent-resistant, but the bead hook just doesn't look as substantial to me on the flow EX. when STan's was blowing out the regular Flows for $50, I bought some partly for that reason. Haven't had any issues on my 7 inch bike (I don't use Stan's rims on my DH bike) as long as I keep pressures above 29 psi. currently running 2.5 EXO dhf / 2.3 clutch.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Okay I upped the PSI a good amount seems better. Fell the trail a little more but no more rolling tire over like before......

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Where'd you end up? I don't think 26psi even feels good. But starting around 35 seems to get too stiff.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
one gauge said 32 another 34 psi.......I guess I am still under 35 PSI. Need to find a roadie with a $20K bike and $170 tires and a nice pressure gauge.

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Any bike shop can order the SKS digital gauge from the QBP distributor. MSRP $25, it seems accurate and consistent, and reads to the .5 psi. Once you find that magic pressure that's as low as you can go without problems you'll appreciate being able to always be right on it.