Quantcast

Anybody not like their SXTs?

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
It seems (for good reason) that SXTs are always listed an option in all of the "what bike" threads and everyone seems to endlessly rave about these bikes.

So, is there anyone out there that doesn't like them?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
It seems (for good reason) that SXTs are always listed an option in all of the "what bike" threads and everyone seems to endlessly rave about these bikes.

So, is there anyone out there that doesn't like them?
Go ride one. Seriously.
The only way I can see you not liking it, is if you bought if for riding someplace super flat where it was not needed or if you were gone bomb runs down Mt. Snow every weekend.
Last weekend I took mine on a shuttle where we did a 2 mile DH, then a 3.5 mile climb, then another 3.5 DH, then we shuttled another 2 mile Dh for a few runs. All on tight rocky singletrack.
The bike is just perfect for that stuff.

_*sTiTcHeS*_

Monkey
Apr 24, 2006
my friend had one and after thinking my bike was perfect i was blown away. his would go up and down and sideways and everything. mine likes just going down. specialized is making some of the most dialed do it all completes now.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Go ride one. Seriously.
The only way I can see you not liking it, is if you bought if for riding someplace super flat where it was not needed or if you were gone bomb runs down Mt. Snow every weekend.
Last weekend I took mine on a shuttle where we did a 2 mile DH, then a 3.5 mile climb, then another 3.5 DH, then we shuttled another 2 mile Dh for a few runs. All on tight rocky singletrack.
The bike is just perfect for that stuff.
Oh, I have one and I think it's perfect. I was just wondering if anyone didn't like theirs since I can't see what their argument might be, other than possibly weight.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I was sitting on one in a shop, and although I didn't get to ride it, it just felt strange. Felt oddly steep, while the Giant Reign I sat on felt nice and ready to rip. I also found the SX felt very tight in the cockpit too. Again though, this is PURELY a "sitting in the shop" experience, and obviously has nothing to do with how it rides. I will say though, it was eneough to make me get something else.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I was sitting on one in a shop, and although I didn't get to ride it, it just felt strange. Felt oddly steep, while the Giant Reign I sat on felt nice and ready to rip. I also found the SX felt very tight in the cockpit too. Again though, this is PURELY a "sitting in the shop" experience, and obviously has nothing to do with how it rides. I will say though, it was eneough to make me get something else.
that's a shame monk, cause the SXT absolutely rips, up and down....and I've ridden a reign on trails too.......

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Yeah it was very strange, and I really can't explain it. The cockpit makes sense, but the feeling of being so over the front, thats just odd.

I'd like to try it offroad though. Course, I only ride on the internet, so that might be tough.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Like every bike specialized has ever made with that general design, they squat under pedaling, especially climbing..........where using platform damping kills the way the suspension works on descending.

But also like every bike specialized has ever made, they've got a kickass low bb that makes the thing rail on the downside.

How's that?:)

dirt-dart

Monkey
Feb 26, 2006
mccall ID/eagle river AK
you didn't even ride it in the parking lot? if it didnt feel right, you must have been sitting or the wrong size or something, why would you even post if you didnt even stand up on the bike?

jeff da grom

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Long Island
It is popular enough and raved about enough in reviews that when i destroyed my last frame i ordered 1. Problem is that it is popular enough that they are sold out till 2008 so i'm waiting.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I dunno about you, but if I sit on something and it doesn't feel right, that says much to me right there. Some bikes just don't suit some people. I was on a medium. Yes I should have been on a Large, but the medium reign I tried didn't have the same feel to it.

Its just a weird random thing really. Again, if you read what i wrote, I never said anything about the ride, just said it felt odd to me as soon as I sat on it.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
poop, you're an ass.

Read what I wrote. Never once did I say it was a bad bike, never once did I comment on the ride. I simply said that when I sat on it, it immediately felt off, FOR ME. It wasn't the size, I used to always ride medium bikes. Its just a personal thing. Some bikes you sit on, and immediately they are good to go. Some, not so much. My first experience with the SXT was just weird feeling. Can't even begin to fathom a reason, since the numbers look very similar to everything else I like. Just one of those things.

dirt-dart

Monkey
Feb 26, 2006
mccall ID/eagle river AK
i am pretty sure the only thing i have heard complaints about sx trails is people breaking the chainstays, but i havent heard anything about that for a really long time though.

anybody got pics of, or know of, many broken 06 or 07 sx trails??

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Rosepoop is probably just takin' the piss out of you.. At least that's how I read him.

I would like to know how the SXT compares to the Devinci Frantic. The smallest SXT is just to big for me while the Frantic comes in a size smaller.

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
I liked riding my friend's 06 SXT in the slack position with RC2x and DHX 5 coil...

:monkey:

Until I bought a Giant Reign X1! Same type of bike, but better suspension for both climbing and decending. Really makes the SXT suck in comparison, even though it doesn't actually suck.

Reign rails hard! Low BB + Slack + DW type linkage + low standover + low COG + long seat tube = 120% perfect!

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
i am pretty sure the only thing i have heard complaints about sx trails is people breaking the chainstays, but i havent heard anything about that for a really long time though.

anybody got pics of, or know of, many broken 06 or 07 sx trails??
I picked up an '07 chainstay for my '06 SX Trail, after it got seriously pounded by a rock... didn't want to risk snapping it mid-season (sorry no pics). A worthwhile upgrade, IMHO.

The new CS looks a bit beefier... should hold up nicely.

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
C'mon... just crank up the ProPedal on extended climbs and its fine. I run clipless (M647) and haven't noticed such a big problem with squat or bob... perhaps a bit more with platform pedals. Definitely, no squat under heavy braking.

Aside from the low BB, other aspects of the geometry are eqaully kick ass, e.g. good standover clearance, slack head angle, and long wheelbase (don't flip over backwards when climbing with a 170mm fork). My only complaint is that somebody must have been drunk when drilling the ISCG mounts and pre-2007 models had weak chain stays. However, both problems have solutions.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
poop, you're an ass.

Read what I wrote. Never once did I say it was a bad bike, never once did I comment on the ride. I simply said that when I sat on it, it immediately felt off, FOR ME. It wasn't the size, I used to always ride medium bikes. Its just a personal thing. Some bikes you sit on, and immediately they are good to go. Some, not so much. My first experience with the SXT was just weird feeling. Can't even begin to fathom a reason, since the numbers look very similar to everything else I like. Just one of those things.
It is an odd opinion, you have to admit. For all you know, the rear shock was busted or the stem was too short.

If you offer a totally subjective opinion, it will be criticized. Like "I looked the SX-T and I was going to ride it but the color turned me off."

RideHard

Monkey
Apr 4, 2005
Dropmachine- shut the hell up

the sx trail does NOT have a short cockpit! I own a 07 and have been ripping on it since june of last year. The bike is THE best bike i have ever owned, I went through a bullit, mountain cycle fury, transition preston, and gran mal...the sx trail blows them away period. I love it to death

Beef Cake

Chimp
Apr 22, 2007
Sand box FL.
:twitch: I 'm kinda pissed that mine weighs so much .... 42.5 :disgust: Its fun as sh1t to jump and pitch it off drops , but down here i ride trails 60% and its not a trail bike . I just got a 700lb. spring and it changed the whole bike .
Fox said i should ride a 550 but my bro said their thinking of DHing .
:imstupid: I don't know , I have a love hate thing with it !

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Dropmachine- shut the hell up
yeah shell the hut up!!!

the sx trail does NOT have a short cockpit!
Yeah take that!!!

I own a 07 and have been ripping on it since june of last year.
See!!?? I told you!!

The bike is THE best bike i have ever owned, I went through a bullit, mountain cycle fury, transition preston, and gran mal...the sx trail blows them away period. I love it to death
Understand now motherfvcker!!?? Can't argue with science!!!

dropmachine eats poo!!!

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
wow, kidwoo... that was enlightening. Thanks for clearing that all up. It was getting a bit hard to follow such technical debate. :clapping:

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
poop, you're an ass.
Poop...ass...is there a theme I'm missing here?

I said that when I sat on it, it felt off, FOR ME. I used to always ride medium bikes. Its just a personal thing.
I hate medium bikes too man, they're so...predictable and medium. But, I really don't want to talk too much about your personal problems.

My first experience with the SXT was just weird feeling. Can't even begin to fathom a reason, since the numbers look very similar to everything else.
Your right there too, numbers do look pretty similar. I guess that's because there are only ten of them counting 0.

KnightChild

Chimp
Sep 17, 2006
Noo Zealund
I see you flossed your teeth.
I don't think I've heard of it happening here in nz.
But, that sucks dude - is it covered by a warranty or do you have super monsters on the front?

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
I had a 66RC2X out front - the crack started down at the weld and went nuts on from there. I'm taking the bike to the shop today, I'm trying to choose between a new SX or asking spec to send me a Demo. I love the SX but that cracks got me a bit shaken up.

That my friend Dave in the photo I think he stared my bike to death.

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
I rode the SX on trail (<1hr) built w/ all air suspension. Nothing jumped out @ me as far as how it rode. I think it is a good bike. But, I don't get why people love it so much. Maybe it takes more time on it to appreciate it ?

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Any one know if the weld between the top and down tubes cracking is a common thing?

how'd that happen again? I think you said something about a grassy field.... did you hit a big boulder unexpectedly in the field going down? You snapped the fork also right?