Quantcast

Anybody on a newer lefty?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm on one of my "UPGRADE ALL THE THINGS" kick, and a lefty has crossed my mind. You can now convert them for normal frames, and most are convertible to 29er use (which I currently have). I might be able to hook up an alloy PBR version for about $600. Are they still a legitimate fork?

FWIW, I currently have an 07 Reba, and it's really not very good. I don't want another RS product on my bike, so that's out.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
yes, they are still great forks. we really have had no issues with their newer forks. ive ridden one on a 29er Scalpel and older RZ. i have seen some issues with older PBR's not being able to lock out or unlock. the button sometimes gets stuck down, but its a fairly easy fix.

fwiw, you have been able to use them on non-c'dales for a while now.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I've been hammering my Lefty Max since 2005. Awesome fork. I'm considering swapping out the Manitou internals for a Fox PBR. There's a shop in NY that will do it for $325.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yeah, mendon cycle smith. He's really knowledgable.

I'm looking at trading in an old headshok towards a low end fork, probably an alloy pbr 140, reduced to 110, then a 1.125 conversion. Sounds like it'll be a little over 700 complete.

There's also a converted max on the market that's pbr'ed and 29rd, but it would need 321 clamps, which are 200. So, would 5 years and about .7 lbs be worth 200$? Might be harder to sell the old frame that the headshok came off of, but not by much.