Quantcast

Anybody riding windrock this sunday?

mattmo

Chimp
Sep 16, 2011
Aybody riding windrock this Sunday?! I've wanted to ride this place for so long but live so far away! I'll be traveling through on my way to a job in kingsport. If anybody is willing to show me around that would be awesome! I have a truck so I can help with shuttling.

I'll be there on my brown 07 s works enduro.

Also, I think Ima stop in chattanooga and ride saturday afternoon if anybody is down for that to. I heard about a place called trials training center. On the forum they said $15 ride and shuttle. Sounds pretty noice. Or I might just ride racoon mountain, that place looks sweet as well.

Anyway, let me know if anybody is ripping this weekend.

Matt

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
If you can't find a shuttle check the XC trails around the campground. On Windrock Rd about a mile from Oliver Springs turn up the hill to the right at Windrock Park sign. Look for gate and fire plug on right and pull off there. You'll see trail enter beside fire plug. Go left at trail split and follow to gravel then hang a left and climb to to fire plug. Go back in and take trail to right. Go to top of hill and take trail split both directions. Trail was built by same guys who built the DH trails, so its raw, rough, and built like a DH track. It would be more suited to an enduro than the DH trails.

mattmo

Chimp
Sep 16, 2011
Ok cool thanks for the info.

Yeah 6" of travel isn't optimum for rocky ass downhill, but I'm so deprived of it I don't mind getting my butt whooped.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Travel is fine, its the wheelbase and head angle that will kill you. :D

You can always bum rides up the hill with locals on ATVs. Its been done many times.

mattmo

Chimp
Sep 16, 2011
Oh, yeah I guess those things matter to ha.

Yeah hitching a ride on a fourwheeler sounds like a another good option.

Are any of the trails marked? Or will I just have to look and see which trails haven't been rutted up by things with motors?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
The lower DH trails start at the intersection of P1 and T24. Look for post and cable with singletrack behind it. There is a pull off on P1 at T24 and the start is up and to the right as you come up P1.

The upper trails, we used to call them the Windmill trails, start off G1. Go out G1 from P1 and look for first green gas well on right. There is a road there turning hard back to the right. Take it down 100 yards and look for trail to left just across from huge rock on right of road.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
Randy, nobody is goin to say anything about doing maintenance up there. If you want to take your chainsaw just be sure to cut what is in the way and toss it to the side, don't build or "improve" anything..
Reporting it to the building at the bottom will get you slapped:D They really don't give a sh1t what the mountain bike trails look like.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Unlike the rest of the trail network at Windrock (i.e. atvs, jeeps, etc.) the mtb trails are not built or maintained by Coal Creek. The DH trails are just some trails built by locals, for locals, and no one should expect resort type service. Its a huge undertaking to build and maintain these trails especially for 2 or 3 guys that work full time, have families, and like to ride ourselves. Be patient and report up any downed trees and we'll do our best to get out there and clean them up.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Milohead put it well.

If you want to take your chainsaw just be sure to cut what is in the way and toss it to the side, don't build or "improve" anything..
I have the impression that since people pay for permit, they expect something. Unfortunately, the permit and 100% of it goes to Coal Creek. We get nothing but a spot of land to build some trail and even that is subject to their whimsy i.e. the Upper Windmill. You really are riding personal trails. If the locals walked away, Coal Creek isn't picking it up. These trails were built by locals, for locals. We always welcome riders and are happy to have company, but bitching that the trails are closed or trashy can be sensitive.

That is why, improving or modifying has been an extremely touchy subject. In effect that would be like me coming to your house and modifying your pump track without your permission. Not saying that is what you had in mind. But I'm trying to let you know why its a touchy subject.

That being said any help to clear trails i.e. weedeating and downed tree removal, are always welcome.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
Milohead put it well.

I have the impression that since people pay for permit, they expect something. Unfortunately, the permit and 100% of it goes to Coal Creek. We get nothing but a spot of land to build some trail and even that is subject to their whimsy i.e. the Upper Windmill. You really are riding personal trails. If the locals walked away, Coal Creek isn't picking it up. These trails were built by locals, for locals. We always welcome riders and are happy to have company, but bitching that the trails are closed or trashy can be sensitive.

That is why, improving or modifying has been an extremely touchy subject. In effect that would be like me coming to your house and modifying your pump track without your permission. Not saying that is what you had in mind. But I'm trying to let you know why its a touchy subject.

That being said any help to clear trails i.e. weedeating and downed tree removal, are always welcome.
I'm not putting words in his mouth Doug but I believe all Motobutane was saying was there is some downed trees. I think he is genuinely trying to see if its alright for him to do maintenance.
Nobody expects you to be up there all the time and everyone who rides Wr understands you have given everything you have to the place, from time to personal money and blood. Who ever feels it needs more should try to get there ass's up there and contribute instead of just reaping the rewards.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I think he is genuinely trying to see if its alright for him to do maintenance.
Yes. It is welcomed. I hate to see him drive here and have downed trees in the way. If I didn't work 50 hrs a week and want to ride myself, I'd be up there everyday clearing trees. This year has been particularly bad for downed trees.

Please just clear whats in the way and weedeat until your heart's content. But be careful of yellow jackets. They are thick this time of the year and particularly pissed.

Where are they down? I need to go out there to talk with the Mayor of OS about building a XC trail in town maybe I can get a few.

nate22

Chimp
Sep 8, 2011
East Tennessee
My dad and me have ridden Windrock a few times this summer, we thought it was maintained by Coal Creek...

I just joined the forums so I'm a little bit behind. But we live 25 minutes away from Oliver Springs(Wartburg), and we'd love to come help, but unfortunatley we're gone this weekend, and then my dad won't be able to drive me up to the park any other weekends leading up to the festival. A missed oppurtunity but I can't do much about it now. And as far as an XC trail... drive a couple miles more into Oak Ridge and you'll hit Haw Ridge MTB park, great cross country if you ride long enough. A few hikers here and there but a nice ride in my opinion.

Props to the guys who drive from way farther out.

Last edited: