Quantcast

Anybody think Whistler was a little bit of a let down?

Edward-Oh

Chimp
Jul 9, 2007
Maybe I just road the wrong trails, but nothing was very challenging...i.e. you could roll everything. It was still super fun, but I thought I'd be a little more scared. Btw, Freight train to a line rocks!

...flamesuit on!

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I'm not going to flame you, but where do you live/ride? Anything comparable to Whistler?

There are some trails on the Shore that offer considerably higher pucker factor than what you find at Whistler.

That said, Whistler is just so damn fun. I can't think of anywhere I'd rather ride.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Yes...you *can* roll everything...but that's not the point...And yeah, there's Shore spots that'll leave you in mangled heap at the bottom if you want...but that's kinda a bad thing if you like to keep riding your bike day in and day out...

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
my 2 cents...
my first trip to whistler was last year....(plug your ears people that hate when I talk about the 'old days') and after hearing about whistler since it opened and seeing every DH spot on the planet, I thought there was no way it could live up to all its hype especially after I had seen everything and ridden most of that everything.....
Whistler did not dissapoint-to me, it was classic downhilling in its purest form or had other crap if you wanted.
Perhaps it did not satisfy the boneyard lovers (thank god) but in every other aspect, whistler is the premiere spot to ride a DH bike.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I agree with Stik. Whistler was a great experience for me. A nice mix of trails with little stupid gnar for sake of gnar.

There were some tough trails off of freight train. I can't remember the name. However, there was a trail up top we only rode once since it was sketch with a skinny to drop to skinny. Personally, I'd rather ride the trails like Duff all day long than worrying about getting jacked up on some sketchy drop or a giant road gap.

muddyfox

Monkey
Feb 13, 2002
North Vancouver, B.C.
I think it is what you make it, there are lines that make everything ridable but there are also harder tech lines if you look for them. Also there are so many trails or parts of trails everywhere you really need someone that knows them to show you everything. I've been riding up there since it opened and the local guys always show me something I've either never seen or forgotten about. But I always leave with a big smile!

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
While I do love the trails at whistler and the fact that everything flows and you can go for anything there without looking at it first (because you know its built perfectly) I really hate the braking bumps. They really take a lot of the fun that could be had if your hands weren't destroyed after a day of riding. I realize this is the case at pretty much any lift-accessed place, but idk I guess it just makes me appreciate my more fresh trails at home.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Maybe I just road the wrong trails, but nothing was very challenging...i.e. you could roll everything. It was still super fun, but I thought I'd be a little more scared. Btw, Freight train to a line rocks!

...flamesuit on!
There are lines to make everything rollable. Then there is hidden stuff like the manager. Pucker factor is high on that.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Got any video of you rolling the drop on clown shoes? That would be a pretty neat trick.

Seriously, if Whistler is boring to you, start looking for sponsors. Or a pulse.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Whistler is great, seeing as I'm still here... the only thing that makes this whole mountain suck major ass, are the brake bumps. I hated waking up in the morning knowing that I was going to be misrable even on the techy DH trails.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
just imagine deep, uneven holes going into every corner...it really helps if you pound 2 Kokanee's and smoke a fatty in the morning
Fixed.:busted:

Every resort has brake bumps, you just deal with it and yell at everyone who drags the brakes:pirate2:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Whistler is the premier riding place because it offers something for everyone.
Sure everything is rollable, but only for liability reasons.
There are also some very good pure DH trails like Original sin, joyride and national.
You can spend a week trying to find the fast lines on joyride.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I just booked my first trip for whistler/the shore this laborday long weekend. I am more stoked to ride the woodlot and some other places...I have been chatting it up with some guys about whistler and im not hyping it til i ride it...You here so much but i figure the hidden gems are hidden in the hills of the PNW...

I guess i'll find out...

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I just booked my first trip for whistler/the shore this laborday long weekend. I am more stoked to ride the woodlot and some other places...I have been chatting it up with some guys about whistler and im not hyping it til i ride it...You here so much but i figure the hidden gems are hidden in the hills of the PNW...

I guess i'll find out...
Its the free hidden stuff that makes me happy, here in the PNW.

:imstupid:

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler

...flamesuit on!
You need to ride faster.

In a realistic world, where else can you put in 40 miles of DH in a day, and then follow it up with a sick nightlife.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
There will never be gaps with punji sticks at a public area..but that being said, there is enough up there to challenge anyone that I know, you just have to know where to find it.

The Mgr was mentioned..great example...a fairly straight foreward looking roll over, but it is quite tricky and likes to claim riders often. It is often closed due to injury at the bottom, and has its own dedicated back board permantly stored at the bottom to pick up the broken...this is one of those features that HAS to be rolled...air = broken neck.

but if you did not know where it was, you would never find it. There are several other semi-hidden features around the mountain, as well as non-legit trails.

Next time, make friends with a local/semi local and ask for a recomendation for a trail that suits your riding style.

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
The Mgr was mentioned..great example...a fairly straight foreward looking roll over, but it is quite tricky and likes to claim riders often. It is often closed due to injury at the bottom, and has its own dedicated back board permantly stored at the bottom to pick up the broken...this is one of those features that HAS to be rolled...air = broken neck

I rode that once and although I had ZERO problems with it, I swore that I would never ride it again. I thought I was leaning back as far as I could and I still felt like I was gonna go OTB.

Mr. Furious

Monkey
Jul 23, 2002
Vancouver, BC
i personally enjoy the trails on Cypress (in West Vancouver on the way to Whistler) more than the trails at Whistler HOWEVER Whistler offers so much more than local riding:

- chairlift instead of shuttle
- no need to ride up when you want to ride down all day long
- no stooge rides even if all the riders bail last minute you can ride alone (my former ride group was big enough we'd have a choice of three rides - now shrivelled to a point where it's hard to find a rider)
- I can get a sandwich and a cold beer whenever I want it

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
AGH!!! ok, here's my mad whining sesh. so i've got my trip to whistler coming up. july 22, leave for gravity camps. july 29, get picked up at whistler. proceed to stay 3 more days in god knows where. this schedule is very frusterating because my dad and sisters are going up half way through my time at gravity camp. they'll be spending time in the vancouver area as well as in parksville, squamish, and a few other fun spots. i'm pissed because i specifically asked my dad to set aside half a day that i could ride the shore. he agreed, but my sister has a swim meet now, so we lose 1 day of the trip. now, we go back on a tuesday rather than a wednesday. of course, the day that he chose to knock off was the day i would have gotten to spend riding the shore. it's doubtful that i'll ever get to ride the shore unless i pay for my own trip later, which is doubtful considering that i'd like to buy a bike instead. i've drooled over the mossy bridges for 5 years now, and this is my second time leaving the US (mexico was the other), so judging by the frequency of my vacations, i won't be returning to canada anytime soon. i guess i'll just have to move there when i get older.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
AGH!!! ok, here's my mad whining sesh. so i've got my trip to whistler coming up. july 22, leave for gravity camps. july 29, get picked up at whistler. proceed to stay 3 more days in god knows where. this schedule is very frusterating because my dad and sisters are going up half way through my time at gravity camp. they'll be spending time in the vancouver area as well as in parksville, squamish, and a few other fun spots. i'm pissed because i specifically asked my dad to set aside half a day that i could ride the shore. he agreed, but my sister has a swim meet now, so we lose 1 day of the trip. now, we go back on a tuesday rather than a wednesday. of course, the day that he chose to knock off was the day i would have gotten to spend riding the shore. it's doubtful that i'll ever get to ride the shore unless i pay for my own trip later, which is doubtful considering that i'd like to buy a bike instead. i've drooled over the mossy bridges for 5 years now, and this is my second time leaving the US (mexico was the other), so judging by the frequency of my vacations, i won't be returning to canada anytime soon. i guess i'll just have to move there when i get older.
Bummer...I guess thats where me living half a days drive from whistler pays off.

...If only I could drive. :disgust1:

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Having just returned from 9 days there, I can say that Whistler has a lot to offer. Besides the miles and miles of trails, there is the airdome, (foampit anyone?) the skatepark, the dirt jumps, the food, shops, clubs, etc. Most of the trails are pretty rough, and there's lots of brake bumps, but the jumps and technical trails make up for it. The boneyard and 4X course is pretty smooth, and a lot of fun as well. I thought goat's gully, captain safety, joyride, clown shoes, and a couple other trails were plenty challenging. Especially when they were wet! Scared the crap outta me!

ETBW

Chimp
May 29, 2007
Dobbs Ferry, NY
I personally have been to Whistler twice already and I firmly believe that it is the best downhilling spot in the world. Even though everything can be rolled, it can also be can-caned over or 360'd over or something like that. The feeling I get in my mind when I go to Whistler is that the next time ill be there might be in a year... if that, so I might as well go all out. I have a shattered sturnum and the bone fragments are dangerously close to some big blood vessels. I have 2 weeks left of recovey but I am going to Whistler next week. Not to say that I am not going to take it semi-easy but I am defenitely going to ride to the fullest of my present ability.

Keep Riding,

ETBW Gravity Racing

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
I thought goat's gully, captain safety, joyride, clown shoes, and a couple other trails were plenty challenging. Especially when they were wet! Scared the crap outta me!
No ****! First day there, last Saturday of June before the big weekend, wet as hell, my buddies took me on my first run straight from the top pinned into Original Sin and goats gully.. I seriously wondered how long my vacation was gonna last! Scary!

That same day unable to stop at the end of a really wet crack addict ladder I clipped a tree hard to a dead stop.

A few days later, and starting to get a better feel for the trails I got nutted hard on a wet captain safety.

So yeah.. I'd say there is plenty to entertain yourself even on the regular DH trails ;)

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
You know, I talked to a friend about this a couple weeks ago. My Whistler summary...

Other trails (at least here in the NW) that are just as fun and sometimes more.

But...

You can't do laps on them from a chairlift with no pushing or shuttling.
You can't ride 10+ (almost)completely different lines down the same hill.

Only riding in the bikepark at Whistler might get old after a while, but it would take way more time than I can budget to make that happen. Not to mention some of the "other trails" are within a short drive of Whistler - Pemberton, Squamish and the Whistler valley itself. Yes - pretty much a mecca.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I would rather just kill myself before hand. That trail is so badass when it's dry, but when wet, it's just death.
Haha! I found out the hard way. My son and I hit it about three weeks ago after it had rained most of the morning. I hadn't ever ridden it before but we'd just done Schleyer and Rock City so I thought "what the heck?" Dropped into the first ladder and piled into the trees at the bottom. My son, thinking he wasn't going to make the same mistakes as the old man, did nearly the same thing but fortunately missed landing on me.

We limped outa there and went back to playing on the rocks.

wildcard

Chimp
Jul 9, 2007
Whistler has some awesome riding. Some of it isn't that great, but it's got something for everyone. If you're disappointed, you're not looking hard enough. Rock City, Dirt Merchant and Joyride were a blast. But I think Schleyer was the best. So much fun, can't wait to go back.

Yeah, upper Garb in the rain is a pinball fest. (Fun stuff!!)

I've been there twice now with a third trip scheduled this September. I've progressed so much every time we're there just based on the sheer volume of runs you can put in. As stated before, everything IS roll-able, but damn, there are so many hits to boost. :rockout: