Quantcast

Anybody with a Size SMALL(or xs) downhill bike?

RattPoison

Chimp
May 15, 2008
Seattle, WA
I'm not looking for people selling their bike. I'm simply looking for local people(WA state) who have size small or xs downhill bikes that I can test fit in their driveway.

Here's why: I'm a short rider, and most manufacturer's size small are still too long for me! It's not easy to find these bikes in shops to test the fit. If you know anybody who has a small/xs downhill(not freeride) bike, especially a Socom or Glory, please let me know.

I don't need to ride your bike down a trail, I just need get a feel for the reach from the BB to bars.

By the way, I'm in Seattle. I'll drive far, if I need to. Thank you very much!

Last edited:

RattPoison

Chimp
May 15, 2008
Seattle, WA
I think I'm on the border of 5'4(give or take). Maybe I have an odd inseam to abdomen ratio or something..

Here's the problem with going by mfg's geometry:

1) effective top tube is based off of where the seat tube would be

2) different manufacturer's have different definitions of where the seat tube "would be" because of bent/interrupted seat tubes. some measure it from the BB, other measure it from the line of axis of the seat post.

3) I'm not concerned with standover(cuz it's got nothing to do with "fit" once you're riding) except in the case of the XS glory(It's 34 inches tall!!!)

If only everybody used stack and reach.

Here's what I can use for reference: An Iron Horse Sunday size small is still too long for me. I know dh bikes tend to fit slightly longer than freeride bikes. I have a Norco Six XS that fits perfectly, but I'm looking for a real downhill rig.

RattPoison

Chimp
May 15, 2008
Seattle, WA
Yeah, I'm taking a look at that bike tomorrow. Thanks. I need some input on Socom smalls. There's 1 available for a good price, but I don't want to make the mistake of buying something that just doesn't fit as well as it could.

What would be perfect is Giant's 2010 Glory. The problem is, xs is not available as a $1600 frameset(cheap), just the $4125 complete bike. Older Glory's are heavy, but more importantly, they have a ridiculous standover height(34.4 the site says)

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
I have no idea who that Turner belongs to.... but

The Turner is way lower standover than the Socom, and a lot shorter top-tube. The small Socom has about the same length TT as a small Sunday, and a little higher standover.

I still think about my 08 Turner all the time, even though I'm on a newer, fancier frame now. It was absolutely my favorite DH bike I have ever ridden (including all the new Intenses, Sundays, etc). Really playful, easy maintenance and great suspension.

Plus you can still get great customer service from Turner, even though you're not the original owner. Turner's warranties are transferable.

Spahman

Monkey
Dec 13, 2006
Arlington
wayyyyy off topic..
but if some how I found a round tube front triangle of a turner DHR... would it built up to my 05 rear swing arm?

ryanrider

Chimp
Nov 20, 2007
I have no idea who that Turner belongs to.... but

The Turner is way lower standover than the Socom, and a lot shorter top-tube. The small Socom has about the same length TT as a small Sunday, and a little higher standover.

I still think about my 08 Turner all the time, even though I'm on a newer, fancier frame now. It was absolutely my favorite DH bike I have ever ridden (including all the new Intenses, Sundays, etc). Really playful, easy maintenance and great suspension.

Plus you can still get great customer service from Turner, even though you're not the original owner. Turner's warranties are transferable.
MINE! Haven't had it for long but I love everything about it, however I've got a commitment to another frame for the season, so this one is still for sale! The guy who started this thread came and saw it and seemed to be impressed with it too, but at that point in time I was still on the fence about selling. Great for anyone under 5'10" or so..

T.Rex

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
Pacific Northwest
the turner dhr's have compact cockpits in comparison to Sunday's, Intense bikes and others. My medium Intense Socom has a bigger cockpit than other medium frames; there is plenty of room to move around. The small Devinci Wilson is a good fit for a 5'4" rider, but at the end of the day, what tips the scales in one direction or the other is personal riding style.

Most of the other riders and racers can tell you more about this than me. For what it's worth, some riders prefer a smaller bike because of their personal riding style; others prefer a bigger bike. I'm not sure where you live, but if you live in or around Western WA, try stopping in to some of the shops that sell / service dh bikes.

Transition Bikes is just north of Bellingham, they usually have a few bikes laying around for you to check out. Fanatik Bikes in Bellingham, Bike Works in Lake Stevens, Bicycle Centers in Silverlake / Mill Creek, Big Tree Bikes in Wallingford, Downhill Zone in the U-District, Alki Bike and Board in West Seattle, Center Cycles in Renton, Go Huck Yourself in Renton, Single Track Bikes in North Bend; you'll find a greater variety of bikes at these shops, most everyone at these shops would be willing to let you sit on bikes.

BTW, the Cove Shocker is has compact cockpit; Mike Estes is the Cove rep, he's in Hood River. The Yeti bikes are nice; the 303R's are tight. If Norco bikes are a good fit, go talk with AJ at Go Huck Yourself.

One of the best kept secrets is the Devinci Frantik; awesome design at a very nice price; made in Canada:>). Small Frantik should be just about right for you; check out some of the shops in Vancouver.

RattPoison

Chimp
May 15, 2008
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the tips, everybody.

Damn, I wish I had seen this before sending out a check for the small Socom. I figured they were "similar" in stack/reach from what I could previously gather. After the Socom arrives, I may have to sell the frame right away and hope Ryan's small DHR is still available.

I have checked out most shops in the area(big tree, go huck yourself, downhill zone) and not 1 has a small sitting in their store.

Spahman

Monkey
Dec 13, 2006
Arlington
I'm in love with my DHR...can't go wrong
my medium is the perfect size for me..

You can even take them to a bike park and rip with the freeriders