Quantcast

Anybody with experience with the new subaru imprezas?

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
I'm thinking about trading in the good ol' civic coupe (a truly wonderful car) and picking up one of the 09 impreza 5-doors. Does anyone out there have some opinions/experience/etc with the new(er) line of subarus?

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
oh, i'm waiting for the spring/summer; i don't have the funds just yet anyways, and i'd love to pay for it in cash so i can get a nice cash incentive....

skunkty14

Monkey
May 29, 2007
visually unappealing.
+1, glad I have an '04 instead. Mechanically the 09s are identical AFAIK to any impreza from 04 on (some of the manual trans were changed in mid 03) so should be mechanically sound. Only other big change was the WRX going from a 2.0L to a 2.5L in 06 but this was an existing motor Subaru had, not a guinea pig. Accessories-wise I'm no help.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Last edited:

BillT

Monkey
Actually, the new Impreza chasis is worlds better than the previous gen one - gone are the rear strut suspension which was replaced with a superior multi-link setup borrowed from the Legacy, the chasis is stiffer, the interior is much improved (particularly rear leg room), and with the '09 WRX it is much more powerful and comes with stiffer struts and springs and finally has summer rubber.

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
yea, the lancer looks pretty sweet, but i think i'm a subaru guy. i had one when growing up (an outback) and absolutely loved the thing; drove it till it fell apart. as far as the visual aesthetics go, i actually like the new look, although i can't honestly tell you why...:monkey:

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
My ma has one of the new Impreza's, I convinced her to get it because she flatly refuses to ever get snowtires. We have been getting pounded by old man winter the last 2 years and this year we got hit with a 2 foot dump. The Subby got around great, the only things I don't particularly care for are the gas mileage (from my expereience it gets about 26 on the highway) and the fact that it likes to fog badly on the inside then freeze, making you scrape the inside. IMO the ride quality/ quietness and handling are greatly improved over previous models, I have a 2000 2.5RS and it has quite a few rattles and the interior feels somewhat cheap compared to other stuff. The new one is defiantely a step up. Its a joy on roadtrips too. Great car.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
The slant back of the new wagons is a turn off to me, it seems like car makers are all about a shape and not function.

I would like to see two bikes put in the back of either the Lancer or the WRX.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
The slant back of the new wagons is a turn off to me, it seems like car makers are all about a shape and not function.

I would like to see two bikes put in the back of either the Lancer or the WRX.
Had to pull the wheels off and put the back seat down but I managed to fit 2 dh bikes and camping gear for a weekend inside for the last Mt. Hood race in september. I kinda agree on the look but the more I see of it the more I like it. Its a wagon though.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Had to pull the wheels off and put the back seat down but I managed to fit 2 dh bikes and camping gear for a weekend inside for the last Mt. Hood race in september. I kinda agree on the look but the more I see of it the more I like it. Its a wagon though.
Is yours the same wagon body of the 09 sti?

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
WTF is a cash incentive?
it's incentive to pay with cash, as apposed to financing; if you pay fully up front for the car, you'll sometimes be offered a better deal.

example: i spoke with a canadian dealer recently (living in ontario for the moment) and was informed that when buying an 08 impreza, there is a cash incentive of 3000 dollars. so if i bought an 08 impreza tomorrow and paid it off immediately, he'd knock 3G's off the price.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
it's incentive to pay with cash, as apposed to financing; if you pay fully up front for the car, you'll sometimes be offered a better deal.

example: i spoke with a canadian dealer recently (living in ontario for the moment) and was informed that when buying an 08 impreza, there is a cash incentive of 3000 dollars. so if i bought an 08 impreza tomorrow and paid it off immediately, he'd knock 3G's off the price.
that's weird. usually car companies want you to finance since that's where they make the big $$$.

well, at least that's where they made the big $$$ until people started defaulting left and right on their car loans. :D

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
My ma has one of the new Impreza's, I convinced her to get it because she flatly refuses to ever get snowtires. We have been getting pounded by old man winter the last 2 years and this year we got hit with a 2 foot dump. The Subby got around great, the only things I don't particularly care for are the gas mileage (from my expereience it gets about 26 on the highway) and the fact that it likes to fog badly on the inside then freeze, making you scrape the inside. IMO the ride quality/ quietness and handling are greatly improved over previous models, I have a 2000 2.5RS and it has quite a few rattles and the interior feels somewhat cheap compared to other stuff. The new one is defiantely a step up. Its a joy on roadtrips too. Great car.
which model did she get? if you've driven it (which i'm sure you have), how's the pickup on the boxer engine? i'll be getting the 5 door/hatchback, but i've yet to decide on whether or not to just suck it up and get the wrx. though the standard 2.5i premium is quite a deal at 20G

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
You'll likely be somewhat underwhelmed by the gas mileage after driving a Civic I'd imagine.
i've made peace with that. 40 mpg is a rarity in the car world and life is full of trade-offs; i'll gladly sacrifice 10 highway mpg for significantly more space (i live all over the place, and everything comes with me) and AWD...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Eh, you're probably looking at a real world figure of 25mpg with an AWD car...keep in mind all the airbags and junk modern cars have vs. a barebones civic.

My girlfriends elantra gets 32...I4 FWD auto driven slowly...I doubt you'll get over 27 doing the speed limit.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
If you do get the WRX you will be woefully unimpressed with the gas mileage (around 22 on premium in my experience. If driven in miss daisy style Subaru claims you can get 26 but I find that far fetched). The low end torque of the Boxer leaves a bit to be desired but it is fun in the higher RPM's. The 2.5i premium is what I would go for. The Outback Sports also seem pretty cool, they come with WRX looking wheels rear disc brakes two tone paint and a roof rack. word.

Last edited:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard! A cash incentive is a rebate(cash back) opposed to taking advantage of a low APR being offered buy the manufacture. No dealership in their right mind would offer a discount for buying a car with cash. ALL dealerships make more $$$ on the back end(financing, warranty, insurance) than they do from selling the car.

Canadian car dealerships are the worst places on earth :bonk:

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard! A cash incentive is a rebate(cash back) opposed to taking advantage of a low APR being offered buy the manufacture. No dealership in their right mind would offer a discount for buying a car with cash. ALL dealerships make more $$$ on the back end(financing, warranty, insurance) than they do from selling the car.

ah, thanky. my ignorance of the financial world (outside of mineral development) is conveyed by my understanding of car purchases. what i took away from talking to the guy at the dealership is that i would end up with 3000 more in my pocket; whether or not that is from the dealership or the manufacturer makes not difference to me.

unless i'm completely missing something...in which case, please explain so i don't end up being a dipsh!t with way more debt than i already have

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack

they used to. now with credit getting harder to find, GM was at one point paying sales reps to NOT use GMAC financing... :shocked:

as for the WRX, I've heard its a total hoot to drive, and with 265hp it's actually faster to 0-60mph than the old STi (although it gets there in 2nd gear, instead of 3rd on the STi). however, the fact that it's stuck with a 5sp will definitely kill it's gas mileage, and driving 2 extra wheels the whole time doesn't help matters either.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Last time a friend went to go buy a new GM cash in hand they got a discount on it for financing part of the purchase, they got a GM loan for $1000 and payed it off the next month.

They want you to finance the hole auto and not pay it off quickly, which is what most people do, which makes more profit over the long period.

Now when a lot of "buyers" default on the loans, then they suddenly have a problem.

Beat by Dante.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Almost all of the time you are better off taking the cash back/rebate incentive rather than the low APR being offered. There are multiple reasons for this, if you want to know I will tell you but I don't feel like writing a book today.

If you are buying cash you should always take the cash/rebate incentive but if there is only a low finance option you should take into consideration how much intrest you can make on your cash opposed to what you are paying the car company to borrow the cash up front. If you borrow at 0.9% for 36 months and can earn a 100% safe 4% from your bank you are better off borring from the car company.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
they used to. now with credit getting harder to find, GM was at one point paying sales reps to NOT use GMAC financing... .
credit is easy to find, do not listen to what Katie Curic and her evening news cronies have to say.

GM does not know thier ass from their elbow, they make car buying so confusing and complicated the customers just break down and do whatever looks good so they can go home. They are in a whole lot of trouble in the future as well, the residual values on ALL of their smartbuy leases that are still on the road right now has dropped 15%-30% below what they forcasted 2-3 years ago :clapping:

Sorgie

Monkey
May 20, 2005
Rochester
I picked up an '09 Outback Sport last month. I've got 1700 miles on it and so far love it. I'll admit when the new body style came out I wasn't a fan, but it's grown on me and it looks a lot better in person. My original plan was to get a car with great mileage as I've gotten used to the high 40's low 50's MPG in my wifes Prius, but then the baby came along and my priority changed to the safety so I started with the IIHS Best Safety Picks. The Subaru was the best combination of everything I was looking for.
For fuel economy I find the digital readout is +/- 1 MPG from actual calculations and I've averaged 27 MPG for all my fill ups. That is with 80% highway at 70 MPH. The best I have seen is 32.4 on a 100 mile highway trip. The storage is much better than the Saturn SC2 I just got rid of, but I can see where it wouldn't be enough for some people. I don't really carry alot in my car so it isn't a big deal. The bikes and kayaks go on the roofrack so I don't need to worry about that. I would rather have a smaller car and get a roof top carrier or borrow a pickup for the once or twice a year I need to carry a bunch of cargo.
So far, even with the all season tires this is the best car (or truck) I've driven in the snow. The heated seats and windshield wiper deicers have also been nice for our recent weather. Not sure about the inside icing as was previously mentioned. If you want to know anything more specific let me know.

Attachments

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
I picked up an '09 Outback Sport last month. I've got 1700 miles on it and so far love it. I'll admit when the new body style came out I wasn't a fan, but it's grown on me and it looks a lot better in person. My original plan was to get a car with great mileage as I've gotten used to the high 40's low 50's MPG in my wifes Prius, but then the baby came along and my priority changed to the safety so I started with the IIHS Best Safety Picks. The Subaru was the best combination of everything I was looking for.
For fuel economy I find the digital readout is +/- 1 MPG from actual calculations and I've averaged 27 MPG for all my fill ups. That is with 80% highway at 70 MPH. The best I have seen is 32.4 on a 100 mile highway trip. The storage is much better than the Saturn SC2 I just got rid of, but I can see where it wouldn't be enough for some people. I don't really carry alot in my car so it isn't a big deal. The bikes and kayaks go on the roofrack so I don't need to worry about that. I would rather have a smaller car and get a roof top carrier or borrow a pickup for the once or twice a year I need to carry a bunch of cargo.
So far, even with the all season tires this is the best car (or truck) I've driven in the snow. The heated seats and windshield wiper deicers have also been nice for our recent weather. Not sure about the inside icing as was previously mentioned. If you want to know anything more specific let me know.

thanks for the info! what's the pickup on the new boxer engine like? i really enjoy driving (example; my mother has a mini S and that thing is a blast!) and would like at least adequate pickup and pep...

Sorgie

Monkey
May 20, 2005
Rochester
thanks for the info! what's the pickup on the new boxer engine like? i really enjoy driving (example; my mother has a mini S and that thing is a blast!) and would like at least adequate pickup and pep...
Pretty impressive. There is no hesitation on my part for quick merging or passing when you need to. To get home from work my exit is one after the on ramp and I need to get over three lanes, so quick acceleration is a plus. I've never driven a mini S so I really can't compare, but unless you want to race I don't think you'll be dissapointed. I'd say go test drive one because everyones opinion is different based on what they are used to. If you are coming from a civic I don't think you'll be disappointed. If you like to drive, the cornering is so-so. It's not bad, but My Saturn SC2 was pretty low in ground clearance and overall heaight, so it didn't seem to have as much body roll. Not enough to make me nervous, but compared to what I'm used to it was noticeable. The outback sport does sit a little higher than the regular Impreza and I don't know if the suspension is different so it may not be as bad in a regular Impreza. Again, I'd just go test drive one.

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
Pretty impressive. There is no hesitation on my part for quick merging or passing when you need to. To get home from work my exit is one after the on ramp and I need to get over three lanes, so quick acceleration is a plus. I've never driven a mini S so I really can't compare, but unless you want to race I don't think you'll be dissapointed. I'd say go test drive one because everyones opinion is different based on what they are used to. If you are coming from a civic I don't think you'll be disappointed. If you like to drive, the cornering is so-so. It's not bad, but My Saturn SC2 was pretty low in ground clearance and overall heaight, so it didn't seem to have as much body roll. Not enough to make me nervous, but compared to what I'm used to it was noticeable. The outback sport does sit a little higher than the regular Impreza and I don't know if the suspension is different so it may not be as bad in a regular Impreza. Again, I'd just go test drive one.
good to hear that the pickup is on par. i'd imagine the body roll and handling would be less than ideal on the sport version as it has higher, softer suspension, etc. i'd most likely end up going for the 2.5i premium, so i'm hoping that it's a bit more "taught"

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
good to hear that the pickup is on par. i'd imagine the body roll and handling would be less than ideal on the sport version as it has higher, softer suspension, etc. i'd most likely end up going for the 2.5i premium, so i'm hoping that it's a bit more "taught"
"taut".

i test drove the new-gen right when it came out as '08s. i thought it was ok. i could have lived with the performance of the 2.5 normally aspirated version, at least in a stick shift. i didn't get it since the dealer was very unwilling to bargain, so i walked out.

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
"taut".

i test drove the new-gen right when it came out as '08s. i thought it was ok. i could have lived with the performance of the 2.5 normally aspirated version, at least in a stick shift. i didn't get it since the dealer was very unwilling to bargain, so i walked out.
...taut....

i'll go write it on the chalk board a few times :redface:

so the 2.5 norm asp. was good enough (didn't you used to have a wrx)? i will most definitely be going with a 5 speed manual, as the 4 speed autos are quite behind their times.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
my tastes in cars have shifted over the years. went from a firebreathing 297 whp water-injected VF34/FMIC/RA gearset WRX (in Street Mod at autocross) to a RX-8 (B Stock, stock except for V710s on a second set of wheels) to... no car at all. now i ride an electric bike around and laugh at people stuck in traffic or looking for parking.

if you're looking for something with awd it would be a decent car. if you don't need awd then there are better options imo, especially with regard to mpg. you currently drive one of those options, in fact.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
my tastes in cars have shifted over the years. went from a firebreathing 297 whp water-injected VF34/FMIC/RA gearset WRX (in Street Mod at autocross) to a RX-8 (B Stock, stock except for V710s on a second set of wheels) to... no car at all. now i ride an electric bike around and laugh at people stuck in traffic or looking for parking.

if you're looking for something with awd it would be a decent car. if you don't need awd then there are better options imo, especially with regard to mpg. you currently drive one of those options, in fact.
what a party pooper.

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota

as have mine, toshi. my civic has been an amazing car and i've loved owning it; no real maintenance issues, ~40mpg on the highway, etc. but as i've delved into my profession a bit more, i'm recognizing the need for a capable off road vehicle, as well as the need for more cargo space. ideally, i'd like to have something that has AWD, can get ~30mpg on the highway (i'm driving between boston and thunder bay, ontario at the moment) and can fit all my crap on my frequent moves. obviously ease of maintenance and dependability are going to be up there, but that's kind of a given with japanese cars.

if i were to ever live in a city, things would be different for sure. but i don't, and doubt i will ever be able to if my job continues to revolve around field exploration (key word being "field").