Quantcast

Anyone actually been to Iraq?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yeah, lots of people have been to Iraq. Hell, people even LIVE there!

It's not like the moon. THAT footage is totally fake.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Wow, man, that's deep. You really made me think there.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
alwaysbroncin19 said:
Lots of people making assumptions about something they've never seen or been a part of. That's all.
Hmm. Let's analyze this.

Most comments made here are not about the Iraqi living conditions or the difficulty of the soldiers face every day.

I would not comment about being in Iraq because, except for that mountain biking trip I took there last year (sweet dh runs), I have never been there.

However, I comment on facts why we should not have invaded Iraq, like fatalities numbers (on both sides), the financial costs, political reasons, brutalities, etc.

With your logic, Sean Penn would be an expert in Iraqi relations, based on his two trips to Iraq.

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
sanjuro said:
Hmm. Let's analyze this.
With your logic, Sean Penn would be an expert in Iraqi relations, based on his two trips to Iraq.
You mean he's not? I could have sworn he's a leading authority. Atleast he saved all those innocent lives in new orleans

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
alwaysbroncin19 said:
Do you have any good reasons for invading Iraq?
I have one GREAT reason:
Oil

But besides that, we are spreading peace and love throughout the middle east!!!

Sheesh...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Nor does a serviceman's experience in the country make him (or her)an expert on anything, except perhaps what he's seen directly...and even then, he could still be a goddamned idiot. It certainly doesn't mean one needs combat experience to comment on, or even be an expert on, international relations issues. It also doesn't mean that combat experience makes your opinions necessarily more valid, unless you're discussing methods of combat.

Certainly, there are lots of people who are there and have been there whose opinions are far stronger for what they've witnessed... but there are those whose opinions are probably pretty misguided, too. Look at some of the servicemen in foreign documentaries who are trashing the US and its methods. Are they necessarily correct because they've been to Iraq? (notably the ones on the much-lauded 'documentary' on white phosphorous...and I saw a few interesting comments by guys claiming Fallujah was My Lai II last time I was in Korea).

Hell, even better than Sanjuro's Sean Penn example: the President never fought in a war before, so by your logic, what right did he have to consider starting one?

I'd say he doesn't need combat experience...but you'd seem to say he does.

Oct 7, 2005
Bozeman MT
MikeD said:
Wow, man, that's deep. You really made me think there.
Well that's great D. Someone obviously needed to prod your a$$ so you can remember which way your head comes out! You people have all of these "serious" answers to the problems of the world! Try fixing your own problems first.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The Amish said:
You mean he's not? I could have sworn he's a leading authority. Atleast he saved all those innocent lives in new orleans
You mean he ended a few innocent lives with his pump-action...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
alwaysbroncin19 said:
Well that's great D. Someone obviously needed to prod your a$$ so you can remember which way your head comes out! You people have all of these "serious" answers to the problems of the world! Try fixing your own problems first.
Wow, you've got a gift for setting me straight.

What the **** are you talking about? You've been nearly incoherent since you started positing in this forum... are you 11 years old, or just drunk?

Oct 7, 2005
Bozeman MT
MikeD said:
Nor does a serviceman's experience in the country make him (or her)an expert on anything, except perhaps what he's seen directly...and even then, he could still be a goddamned idiot. It certainly doesn't mean one needs combat experience to comment on, or even be an expert on, international relations issues. It also doesn't mean that combat experience makes your opinions necessarily more valid, unless you're discussing methods of combat.

Certainly, there are lots of people who are there and have been there whose opinions are far stronger for what they've witnessed... but there are those whose opinions are probably pretty misguided, too. Look at some of the servicemen in foreign documentaries who are trashing the US and its methods. Are they necessarily correct because they've been to Iraq? (notably the ones on the much-lauded 'documentary' on white phosphorous...and I saw a few interesting comments by guys claiming Fallujah was My Lai II last time I was in Korea).

Hell, even better than Sanjuro's Sean Penn example: the President never fought in a war before, so by your logic, what right did he have to consider starting one?

I'd say he doesn't need combat experience...but you'd seem to say he does.
No one said anything about combat experience. Your president bashing skills are fruitless. You forget too easily what sparked the whole shebang. I bet you were just as mad as everyone else, but you flip flopped when the going got tough, as did a bunch of other jello-like people in this country! Squishy!. As to the comment about combat experience, my view is experience without the combat is effective enough to be able to be a VIABLE SOURCE of information to anyone needing advice.

What I am trying to say is that people in this country are so damn persuadable, that even they could have themselves believing they know what's best for Iraq, and more importantly, the war in Iraq. You know neither why we are there, or what it will take to win. So you stay "lost in translation" or better yet "lost in the sauce"

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
alwaysbroncin19 said:
No one said anything about combat experience. Your president bashing skills are fruitless. You forget too easily what sparked the whole shebang. I bet you were just as mad as everyone else, but you flip flopped when the going got tough, as did a bunch of other jello-like people in this country! Squishy!. As to the comment about combat experience, my view is experience without the combat is effective enough to be able to be a VIABLE SOURCE of information to anyone needing advice.

What I am trying to say is that people in this country are so damn persuadable, that even they could have themselves believing they know what's best for Iraq, and more importantly, the war in Iraq. You know neither why we are there, or what it will take to win. So you stay "lost in translation" or better yet "lost in the sauce"
You really need to start reading people's posts more carefully. I bashed the president? And you also shouldn't assume you know jack **** about what I think.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
alwaysbroncin19 said:
...but you know what's best, right? because you went there once and participated in an operation. What makes you an expert on policy? What makes your opinion better than the other soldiers who've been there and say the opposite of what you say? Get off your freaking high horse.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
alwaysbroncin19 said:
[snip] You forget too easily what sparked the whole shebang. I bet you were just as mad as everyone else, but you flip flopped when the going got tough................................

What I am trying to say is that people in this country are so damn persuadable[/snip]
Are you one of those persuadable people that thinks Iraq was about 9-11?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
alwaysbroncin19 said:
I'm just trying to make you fellas recognize your position on the same horse. Between the lines, lies your BS. Stinky!
...and what position would mine be? I dont recall stating it.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Wow, a new forum retard that EVERYONE can pile up on. It's like Xmas (I refuse to write the name of Xhrist, y'know, being an atheist and all) all over.

Oct 7, 2005
Bozeman MT
Silver said:
Wow, a new forum retard that EVERYONE can pile up on. It's like Xmas (I refuse to write the name of Xhrist, y'know, being an atheist and all) all over.
This is great. Proves so many points, and only took you how many thousands of posts?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Is this guy saying he's an ex-serviceman who's been to Iraq and therefore knows why it's best for the US to be there with a clarity that evades the rest of us?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Changleen said:
Is this guy saying he's an ex-serviceman who's been to Iraq and therefore knows why it's best for the US to be there with a clarity that evades the rest of us?
pretty much

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
alwaysbroncin19 said:
You know neither why we are there, or what it will take to win. So you stay "lost in translation" or better yet "lost in the sauce"
So...what do you know about anything I've said on the war in Iraq? You're going out of your way to lump me with a sweeping generalization, apparently because you think everyone on this forum thinks the same thing.

If you care that much about what I think, run some searches and you'll find I share your concerns about the way our nation's populace is too easily swayed to action and then too often fails to accept the consequences and pull through the hard times.

You'll find that while I think Iraq was and is a poorly-planned and misguided venture, which has encouraged our enemies to take advantage of our off-balanced and overcommitted posture (say, Iran?), I certainly don't hope for failure just to spite a certain political party. The mess is the US's, all of ours, and I'm digging in to do my part to make it work. You've been to Iraq? Well, if you go back, it's possible I'll be seeing you there.

In any case, do and say whatever you want...I'm through with this.

MD

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
In that case, I'll stand by my original decision:

alwaysbroncin19: You're retarded. No wonder people hate the military.

Oct 7, 2005
Bozeman MT
BurlyShirley said:
You're retarded. No wonder people hate the military.
Thanks. As the thread progresses your true feelings really start to show. You are ungrateful, but at least you can find some comfort in your posting skills. Once in a while just try and think of the people who made it possible for you to do this. It really is a thankless job, but we can go to sleep at night w/o our consious biting us in the ass. Later

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
MikeD said:
So...what do you know about anything I've said on the war in Iraq? You're going out of your way to lump me with a sweeping generalization, apparently because you think everyone on this forum thinks the same thing.

If you care that much about what I think, run some searches and you'll find I share your concerns about the way our nation's populace is too easily swayed to action and then too often fails to accept the consequences and pull through the hard times.

You'll find that while I think Iraq was and is a poorly-planned and misguided venture, which has encouraged our enemies to take advantage of our off-balanced and overcommitted posture (say, Iran?), I certainly don't hope for failure just to spite a certain political party. The mess is the US's, all of ours, and I'm digging in to do my part to make it work. You've been to Iraq? Well, if you go back, it's possible I'll be seeing you there.

In any case, do and say whatever you want...I'm through with this.

MD
C'mon, stay and play!

Status
Not open for further replies.