Quantcast

Anyone built a computer?

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
I bought a used comp from my work, and I've been rebuilding it and tweaking it.

Almost as addictive as bike mechanic work.

Anyone else built a system from the floor up?

J

JRB

I think lots of people have. Not me, but lots of other people.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Oh, duh...

Specs:

Athlon XP 2200+ overclocked to 2400+
Thermalright SLK900A heatsink w/ 90mm 56cfm fan
Asus A7N8V v.104
768 megs DDR 2100 ram
2 x 60g IBM Deskstar HDD
Lite On 52x24x52 CDRW
Radeon 7500 video (next upgrade is a 9550XT)
Avertv Stereo TV tuner
Crappy Compusa case

New Antec case/PSU on the way in UPS...

All told so far: $396.00

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
surfinguru said:
Yeah, I'm a tech nerd. Been building my own rigs for a while now. Latest foray is water cooling. :thumb:

P4 2.8E @3.2GHz
Abit IC7-G
ATI 9800 Pro
SB Audigy Gamer
Swiftech H20-120-P watercooling kit
buncha hard drives
oh...and a big ol' 20" LCD monitor!

Really good technical, geeky site: http://www.ocforums.com/
I am definately using the same approach as I do with bikes:

Cheap
Durable
Easily upgradable
No regard to weight
Quiet (I ride a 36lb single speed)

Unfortunatley the water cooling approach would not fit in my scheme. At least not with any kits available. I think I'll have to hit the aquarium stores and throw something together...

:devil:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I have built many, many a computer in my day. Just don't let your friends find out, otherwise you will become their built in IT guy. Have fun!

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I have probably built a few 1000. Been building for 19 years almost.

And ciaran is right. Never let your friends find out. Everyone wants to mooch your skills once they find out.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Ciaran said:
I have built many, many a computer in my day. Just don't let your friends find out, otherwise you will become their built in IT guy. Have fun!
Already there.

My roommate; "Hey, my computer is really slow, and I get all these nasty pop-ups, and my homepage is on some weird site I've never been to before....You're good with this stuff, can you take a look at it? "

Me; "Uh..no."

:rolleyes:

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
I showed a teacher how to use Acrobat reader a few days ago, now every class i have "Chris, can you look at this for me?"

Uh.....no

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
loco-gringo said:
I think lots of people have. Not me, but lots of other people.
Built more than my fair share. I use notebooks exclusively now, but built my server.

Unless you know what you are doing or have a LOT of spare time to be your own tech support, computers are too cheap to not buy and get a warranty.

J

JRB

Austin Bike said:
Built more than my fair share. I use notebooks exclusively now, but built my server.

Unless you know what you are doing or have a LOT of spare time to be your own tech support, computers are too cheap to not buy and get a warranty.

So this is a cheap plug for Dell huh??? :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Been building computers since I was in 7th grade :D

Got addicted... Been a geek ever since :thumb:

It's a great feeling to get all the parts together, assembled, hit the power switch and hear it hum...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
you guys aren't building, you're just plugging stuff into sockets and hooking up wires. create a computer from iron ore and silica and i'll be impressed :D

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Roasted said:
I have probably built a few 1000. Been building for 19 years almost.

And ciaran is right. Never let your friends find out. Everyone wants to mooch your skills once they find out.
Word, i ve been doing it for 12yrs, and always i was the PC slave of the family... anyhow since 2 yrs ago i got a compaq laptop and i have never touched a bolt since.....

But i miss a desktop...

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Yes, several time... though not recently. I don't do it because of the "addiction", I do it because it's waaay cheaper than buying a box off the shelf.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I keep thinking I should for the cost benefits... my problem is I hate the damn things and have no patience for them whatsoever when they don't work. :mumble:

HypNoTic

Man Whore
Aug 3, 2004
Montreal, Qc
Built all my comps, so well over 500 since the time. The only thing I didnt built myself is my work laptop, which was loaned by the company, an IBM Thinkpad T40 (that I slightly upgraded).

Of all, building a NAS for the office was the most challenging one. 12 Maxtor 160 Gb SATA in RAID 5 with 3ware card, 3 backplanes, dual Athlon MP, 1Gb RAM running Gentoo with Samba. This is the backup buffer before dumping to LTO tapes. Finding a 12 disk-drive slots 3U rackmount case was tricky, but I found some. I had to play with the Dremel a bit to fit the backplanes I needed. A sweet baby. Too bad the LTO unit didnt fit in there.

Hacked some Cisco Pix also. The 525 used to be a Intel 440BX motherboard with a standard Pentium 2 400Mhz. Imagine a 1.2Ghz firewall... :evil:

Yes, I'm a geek.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
loco-gringo said:
So this is a cheap plug for Dell huh??? :D
Damn, ya smoked me out ;)

They're so damn inexepensive now it would practically cost me more to build my own - IF I didn't have a closet full of part. I have more computer parts than bike parts.