Quantcast

Anyone doing something interesting (food wise) for T-day tomorrow?

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I like to change things up when possible so in addition to the "standard" bird that my Fiance is making us cook, I'm also doing a Spatchcock bird that I'll then throw on the BBQ.

For those who are not familiar, Spatchcock is like a butterfly technique where you cut out the back-bone and then flatten the bird out. It helps reduce cooking time and keeps your bird a little more moist.

I'm also doing the turkey in a brine... From last year when I did some brine tests, I found that a 24hr brine works best. 36 kinda over does it on the salt.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm also doing the turkey in a brine... From last year when I did some brine tests, I found that a 24hr brine works best. 36 kinda over does it on the salt.
i do a 36 hour brine, but with less salt; 1/2 cup per gal instead of a full cup per gal.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Does that give your brine time to penetrate deeper (that sounds kinda XXX rated, huh?). I can see the benefits in that.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
this is honestly the first time i've tried it this way, but my reason behind it was that i have a 22lb bird, and i didn't start it thawing until monday night. oops. last year i did the 24 hour brine and it was perfect.

i'm considering swapping the brine out tonight with regular strength, and that'll give it 24hours at half brine and 12 at full brine. might do a little under strength, don't wanna go overboard on the salt. but i do have garlic and some herbs in it too.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Nothing crazy here for the bird, but I have been busy as sous chef since my schedule is more free than my wife's. This year I've been chopping tons of veggies and baking bread, only to hack it up and make it stale for some bad ass stuffing:
View attachment 114665

Last edited: