Quantcast

Anyone else ever started a new job and.....

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Anyone else ever started a new job and realized that you'd had made one hell of a big mistake? :poster_oops:

Just curious....

How long did you wait before starting to look again? In other words, how long did you stick it out?

How bad would it look on a resume if I left this place after only a few months?

Anything else I should consider?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
We are told by our HR departement when hiring a single thing like that isn't a big deal. A history of things not working out shows ther could be a problem with the employee. So this shouldn't be a problem getting the next job but choose better because twice could be an issue.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Wow - it's that bad... sorry to hear that.

I would think that if it were a one-time event no big deal, but weren't you having an issue finding a place that is within a reasonable commute?

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Wow - it's that bad... sorry to hear that.

I would think that if it were a one-time event no big deal, but weren't you having an issue finding a place that is within a reasonable commute?
The commute was an issue, but I'd gladly take it back. The way that management treat people here is nothing I have ever seen. For example, would you call an employee a "F'n embarrassment" in front of all of his peers? (Luckily for HIM he has never said that to me)....

On paper I would have been crazy not to take this position, but reality is a whole 'nuther ball game. To make it better, he's firing someone tomorrow (why on earth would any manager make that known???), so my workload will double. Good times, good times....

Ranting and bitching complete.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
start looking now. i actually accepted a job and right after realized i didnt want it and found a new one before my start date, like the day before. I gave them a 12 hour notice i wasnt going to start.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Life is short man, if the situtation is that bad you need to move on. And I agree with Westy, as long as this is not a pattern it should not have a huge impact on your chances of getting hired elsewhere. Just be careful and take the high road when you are asked about it. Badmouthing a former employer never looks good in an interview, even if what you are saying is true.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
injection molding?
Yes. Primarily valves, fittings, drainage and landscape products, and now pool and spa products.

MMike for the 15th time NO! I work with PLASTICS not stainless steel, and certainly not in that genre (see above). I just don't know why that won't sink in with you!! Those CAD prototypes that you sent me were, well....:disgust1: Where the hell am I supposed to attach a Mercury outboard motor to that thing like you requested ?!? It wasn't shown on the CAD drawing....and I'm thankful for that.

Let it go man, let it go. I'm sure that there is someone out there that manufactures what you are requesting, but I can't help you!

:biggrin:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
If it's less than 3 months, you can just leave it off of your resume.
I recently accepted a job and then slept on it and realized it was a bad move.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Most employers don't do an employment history background check. The law office I use to work for does a National & State crime background check.

I left a great job at Tug Technologies - airline ground support - as a head quality inspector to go to Toyo Tires. I was hoping to further my career path in that direction. Uhh nooo... I was standing in one spot for 12 hrs a day or night ( rotating 12's) spinning tires looking for defects, I mean 'abnormalities'. Ther are no 'defective' tires anymore, thanks to Goodyear.
I was chasing the money to go to Toyo. The interview process was incredible. The most dificult I had ever done. I was really looking forward to it. I thought I had finnally found a place that everyone just wanted to work and were really driven to succeed.

WRONG!!!!!

My first day I found out I would be working with a guy that was covered in 'prison tat's'. Great, wonderful.

I quit on my 90 day, umm, day. My supervisor called me and asked if I was coming in while I was on a ride, and I got to tell him what a piece of crap I thought he was.

Doing interviews after that, I found that as long as I told the truth about why I left, everyone understood. I don't think that if you realize you had made a mistake, no one will hold it against you.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
If you truly believe you made a mistake, rip the band-aid off quick. Don't stick around. But make sure that you are totally sure. It will have an impact when you look for another place. They'll want to know why you left, you need a good answer.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
If you truly believe you made a mistake, rip the band-aid off quick. Don't stick around. But make sure that you are totally sure. It will have an impact when you look for another place. They'll want to know why you left, you need a good answer.
True, but leaving a job quick probably isn't a big problem for most employers as long as it's not part of a pattern.