Quantcast

Anyone else get a new cup...Udi??

brian field

Monkey
Feb 5, 2007
What cup will fit better to my shova lt 2007. with 120 mm HT? how much will my offset be, considering my HT i is not the same size as predicted HT's?
Thanks.

Last edited:

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
"What cup will fit better to my shova lt 2007. with 120 mm HT? how much will my offset be, considering my HT i is not the same size as predicted HT's?
Thanks."

The socom cups were designed around a 117.5mm HT so these would be the ones to go for - they should give perfect bearing life and alignment as the difference is only 2.5mm.

You would see exactly -1.5 degree, the ht length does not define the reduction of the angle - this is engineered into the cup and wont change - it is the offset that is calculated to the HT length - go too far from 120mm and the top and bottom cups wont align.

We have actually fitted cups designed for 117.5 socom to a 133mm HT with no problems so far though we expect shortened bearing life and there peraps is a little more 'tightness' when too much peload is added due to the alignment being a little off perfect.

Rick

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
davep, what shipping method did your cups come by, and how long did it take? I was hoping to have mine for the weekend, but no such luck.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
IIRC they came via Royal post....I think it is the equivalent of the USPS. They took essentially one week to get to me.

If has been much longer, I would shoot them an e-mail, they(Rick) were always quick to get back to me.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
OK. I ordered them monday I think, so it hasn't quite been a week yet, though I'd expect them to show up a little quicker to me, since I'm on the east coast. I'll give them a few more days, and then shoot them an email.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Finally got my arse into gear and fitted the ready to ride reducer cups to my sunday, jesus fecking christ the E13 ones just did not want to come out!!

BB is now sitting a shade under 13.5 inch and the wheelbase has went from 44 and a half inches to 45 inches, unfortunately I haven't been able to measure the head angle yet.

Would be rude not to have some pics.

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
I don't think using this product a good idea.
If a bike have a certain HTA it is for a reason and the resistance is calculated arround that angle.
Just 1 degree slacker will put more stress on the HT junction, and while it may not break or crack very soon it may fatige the frame in a log term making frame usefull life shorter...

I would like to know what DW thinks about this, being him the designer behind the IH Sunday

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
Nah, thats crap. The frames have been used with old 888s which are 1"+ longer (=around 1 degree) than the boxxer with no issues.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
It's a possibility I've considered but I'm not worried about it at all, for a frame like this I think your overthinking it a little. Besides how many broken Sundays have you seen, I've never seen one in the flesh and despite all of my many hours of forum geekery have seen two Knackered and heard of a few more. And anyway it's just a toy, they all get broken sooner or later :P

Typed on my phone so sorry for any weirdness in spelling etc!

Mar 14, 2008
I got a set of the -1* Sunday reducers from Ready to Ride Cycles and went about installing them myself. First step: get out the e13 cups, and as others have said above, that ain't easy.

Anyways, once that was done, it was pretty straightforward to get the news cups aligned and installed.

e13 cups: (with Boxxer WC's ('07) with 8.6" between the seals and the upper crown): WB 46.25, BB height 13.8.

reducer cups: (same Boxxer settings): WB 46.6, BB height 13.7.

Sorry, don't have an angle finder, but overall, the bike feels more stable while retaining its great handling. Two thumbs up!

m.m.w.

Chimp
Jun 23, 2009
As it's hard to measure, I just made a simplified CAD drawing considering an M size frame with Boxxer. 1° lower headtube angle will result in 64.2° steering angle instead of 65°. The BB should be 1.8 mm lower.
I made the drawing for 1.0° offset in the cups. They could also be produced in a way to result in 64.0° steering angle. Who knows? :confused:

Sorry, I forgot to check the WB and already killed the file...

Last edited:

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Im curious if anyone has time on the socom cups with the Slacker dropouts and what the Head angle and BB height would come out as with both.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
I don't think using this product a good idea.
If a bike have a certain HTA it is for a reason and the resistance is calculated arround that angle.
Just 1 degree slacker will put more stress on the HT junction, and while it may not break or crack very soon it may fatige the frame in a log term making frame usefull life shorter...

I would like to know what DW thinks about this, being him the designer behind the IH Sunday
I would be concerned about this, but it seems more probable when you have a longer fork rather than offsetting the head angle with the indicated head set which would transfer loads efficiently on to the frame. Further more, I think DW could contribute, since he used cups likes these on sams frame a numerous amount of times from what I understand

Last edited: