Quantcast

ANyone else have a problem cooking for people who don't understand cooking?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I have gotten in the habit of always cooking meat to tempature, instead of timing it. Everything comes out jucier, and in some cases slightly pink. I always follow the proper guidelines for safety and have never myself gotten sick or made anyone else sick. But people are always complaining and making me put their meat back on the grill until it is basically ruined.

There is nothing more shameful than a tough, grey steak....

Another thing is I cook with alot of wood, which creates a nice pink smoke ring, which I have found simply freaks people out more. Seriously, no amount of explaining will convince some people.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
think about it like this, food is art. ok, that might not be the correct verbage, but what I mean is, what you think is super-duper-super-cool-awsome, someone else might think sucks.

this is one reason I don't eat cow. I LIKE my cow cooked to death. not red, not bleeding but BLACK. but, beef cooked like that isn't what most people like. and honestly, medium or rare beef is better tasting. but I think it's gross so you see my problem....:)

who am I to tell someone else how they like their food? I had a teacher in high school cooking (home ec. or something) say that eggs needed to be cooked one way and if you did it the other way, it was wrong. of course, I cooked my eggs the 'wrong' way and told her to go get fvcked. who was right and who was wrong? (i was right, of course.;))

I don't have a problem with other peoples weird food things. I have enough of my own so I guess it helps me understand. no biggie.

what is harder then that for me though, is going to someones house that doesn't know how to use their grill. it's just food though, so I try to keep my mouth shut about what they are doing if they don't seem to want my advice.
plus, the less I spend telling them how to cook, the more time I can spend drinking their beer. :thumb:

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
Tenchiro said:
I have gotten in the habit of always cooking meat to tempature, instead of timing it. Everything comes out jucier, and in some cases slightly pink. I always follow the proper guidelines for safety and have never myself gotten sick or made anyone else sick. But people are always complaining and making me put their meat back on the grill until it is basically ruined.

There is nothing more shameful than a tough, grey steak....

Another thing is I cook with alot of wood, which creates a nice pink smoke ring, which I have found simply freaks people out more. Seriously, no amount of explaining will convince some people.
What's a "pink smoke ring?"

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
s1ngletrack said:
What's a "pink smoke ring?"
They explain it better than I cAN.

http://home1.gte.net/res004na/ring.html

The Smoke Ring is the reaction between nitrates (wood ash from the fire) and myoglobin (the oxygen carrying protein in muscle tissue). This reaction causes the outside of the meat to turn reddish-pink rather than brown. When you cut the meat open, the center part is grey-brown and there is a distinct reddish-pink outer part . . . commonly referred to as the Smoke Ring. The Smoke Ring will only occur if there is sufficient smoke and the cooking temperature is below 140 degrees.

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
Tenchiro said:
They explain it better than I cAN.

http://home1.gte.net/res004na/ring.html

The Smoke Ring is the reaction between nitrates (wood ash from the fire) and myoglobin (the oxygen carrying protein in muscle tissue). This reaction causes the outside of the meat to turn reddish-pink rather than brown. When you cut the meat open, the center part is grey-brown and there is a distinct reddish-pink outer part . . . commonly referred to as the Smoke Ring. The Smoke Ring will only occur if there is sufficient smoke and the cooking temperature is below 140 degrees.
Ahhh - so that's why my experiments with the smoker have produced the strange looking (but extraordinarily tasteful) meat - thanks for the info.

MY wife is an avid grill person. She loves to have me cook steak. However the one thing I'll never understand is the need to make sure youe meat is SOOOO well done that its dry as a bone. I have to Flambe her Tbone and make sure there isnt any pink meat in it. I understand about uncooked meat, but a line of pink in it doesnt mean it's not done does it?