Quantcast

Anyone else out there ever do anything this dumb in a race

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
So yesterday was my second race ever. It was way harder and longer than the first one (for me). I am a strong climber but not so great on the technical dowhill (although getting better) Anyway, it was 18.7 miles with lots of climbing in the beginning and lots of fast downhill from the middle to the end. Overall it was a blast. I rode hard and enjoyed myself. Unfortunately I did a very very stupid thing:(

here goes (dont laugh).....

The race course included a number of different trails which were linked together by fast, rocky fire roads. About halfway through the race I was rolling down a fire road pretty fast and suddenly realized that I had not seen anyone for quite a while..... There were signs with orange arrows and people guiding traffic at most of the singletrack turnoffs so I didnt think I could possibly miss a turn...but then I started to wonder. The fireroad began to get smaller and pretty overgrown with grass. At this point for some odd reason my mind started playing tricks on me. I realized that I may have actually missed the turnoff... and therefore began freaking out. I stopped for a quick moment and decided to start heading back up the steep hills believing that my race was over (which it really was):(

A few minutes later I saw a few other racers coming my way...ARGGHGHHGHHGHGHHGGHH! I quickly turned around and rode my arss off to the finish but it wasnt even close to good enough. My race was in the dump.... 9th place out of 11 in my group ...boohooo:( Oh well. All in all I am happy that I did it and glad that I finished.

So my question is HAS ANY OTHER MONKEY OUT THERE EVER DONE ANYTHING THIS STUPID:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I've never actually gone off course, but I've had the same fear as you before. :D Usually it has been 'cause I'm so far otb on the climbs. :eek:

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
ha ha ha ha ha....
I could picture the stunned look on your face seeing the racers coming your way..:D

One very stupid (if not just plain embarassing) thing happened when I raced a DH Race in Big Bear in 97. On my first run I blew a turn in front of a lot of people (by standers) near the finish line...I went over the bar and got thrown about 10 ft from my bike. As inexperienced and uncool dher I was then, I ran towards my fallen bike (stem was tweaked to one side) and thought of kicking it in display of disgust.... Just as I was about to land the drop kick on my bike, the shoelace may have came loose and the right shoe flew off my feet and towrds several guys pass the course tape... I ran for my right shoe (while hearing people laugh and snicker) and quickly got on the bike to ecape further degradation and humiliation from my own failed temper tantrum....only to crash 20 ft away after the chain slipped off my chainring (back then, chainguides weren't common)....Didn't even bother to put the chain on as I ran and crossed the finish line. I went staright to the parking lot, loaded my bike and went home. I finished dead last!! It's bad karma thinking of kicking your bike..:p

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
Originally posted by JOJO
So my question is HAS ANY OTHER MONKEY OUT THERE EVER DONE ANYTHING THIS STUPID:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p
Yes, this year in fact. At a downhill race, there was an uphill (yes, you heard me, an UPHILL) near the finish line. Well, as it turns out, the uphill was actually quite long, and I began to wonder if I had already passed the finish line or gotten off course, and just started sorta cruising down the trail, looking for signs of life. Eventually I did see the group of people at the finish line, waving their arms madly for me to PEDAL, PEDAL, PEDAL:rolleyes:

So I guess the moral of the story is: If you haven't actually SEEN the finish line tape, KEEP RIDING AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!! Either you'll eventually cross it or, as in your case, JoJo, see where the other folks are:eek:

On my first race I was supposed to do 2 laps, but didn`t see the sign that said which way was the finish line, and which was the way to the next lap. So I went through the finish line with a confused look on my face as one of my friends chased me down. I guess I was thinking I`d go through the finish and around to the start line...

In another race, I was in 2nd place on the first sprint to the singletrack, and I fell on the first turn. (it was a 170 degree turn from the road to the singletrack) The valve on my camelbak came off as I fell. I stood beside the trail until the other racers passed, and started looking for the valve as water was pouring all over my shorts. Then I had to dust it off and put it back on wearing gloves. I don`t know how, but I finished 2nd.

stringcheese

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Golden, CO
I haven't personally done anything too funny. But at my last race I thought I'd bring my friend along to get him into racing, cuz he's already into biking and stuff. Well he arrived at the course late, registered late, never has ridden slalom before and didn't have any time to practice and went straight to the qualifying rounds. Well his first run he did very well for a first time. But on his second run he tried to clear one of the first doubles. He overcleared it, and went right over a berm and way off the track. He went over to the other race track that was about 20 feet away. Since we weren't using that track spectators were sitting on the jumps and stuff, not expecting him to come through. So he was just plowing through dozens of spectators not knowing what was going on. He finished on that course and didn't know why everyone was yelling at him til I told him.

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
Whenever i race i always hear someone behind me. But its just my head playing with me. Well I Looked behind me and when im looking behind me i go off the course! It stunk:p

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Originally posted by Motionboy2
Did you repass the people that passed you? It isn't stupid it is just too bad that they didn't mark the trail better
Well I passed the people I saw coming down..... but I never caught up with the group of women I had been riding with for most of the race:( They probably thought I got a flat or wrecked.

Its good to know other people out there have had silly moments racing. I guess its to be expected as a beginner:p

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
my moment of glory isnt funny to me at all... I still look back and make sure no one recognizes me from that race..:D

I guess we're all humans afterall...except Heidi..she's a freak!:eek: :p

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Originally posted by Orven
my moment of glory isnt funny to me at all... I still look back and make sure no one recognizes me from that race..:D

Hehehe, I would have to agree with the Heidi statement. After seeing and experiencing the competition here in CO I cannot imagine ever racing Expert class much less WINNING. It makes me realize how tough she is:D

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.

It makes me realize how tough she is:D
according to some race training folklore......Heidi breaks and folds when offered carrot cake or something..

am I talking behind her back:confused: :p

Oh, Jojo!!!! Is there like a DH stint in your future? What does the stupid magic 8-ball say?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon

AH HUM!! I'm not blind you know, I can see these things you are typing!

JOJO - first of all, congrats on the race. 18.7 miles is pretty long for a beginner race - here they only race 12 or so. 5th overall in the series? That's awesome JOJO! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Second, I've wondered about it a few times when I hadn't seen people for miles and miles. In one race I actually had to stop and consult the course map a few times and even back tracked to the last trail junction to make sure there wasn't a sign.

Oh yah, and third.......sounds to me like someone didn't preride.:p

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon

according to some race training folklore......Heidi breaks and folds when offered carrot cake or something..

am I talking behind her back:confused: :p

Not to ruin your little party, but carrot cake is YOUR weakness, mine is lemon poppyseed bread!

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Oh yah, and third.......sounds to me like someone didn't preride.

Hehe, True True but time was not my friend... and a week spent in NY a week before the race didnt help either. This weekend I am going to preride the next race course. Guess I learned the hard way:( :)

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO

Oh, Jojo!!!! Is there like a DH stint in your future? What does the stupid magic 8-ball say?
No way Jose:rolleyes: I am a much better climber than downhiller.. MUCH ....:p

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Yes Jo is kicking butt! We are all so proud of you in Monkey Land! :)

PS
Her new nickname is the Mad Odwalla Bomber! :sneaky:

CTKurt

Chimp
Jan 27, 2002
CT
A friend of mine had to take a leak during the race and went all over his saddle. He rode through a few puddles to wash it off but it didn't really work that well since after the race a ton of people were around him saying "that guy smells like piss" I laughed at him for about an hour. We call him piss boy now. He gets mad but it is halarious. BTW it was in a beginner class race, and he came in almost last anyway. I would have pulled over.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Originally posted by KrusteeButt
Jojo -
First, congrats! I think that's awesome!
Second, where was this race?
Third, where's your next one? I wanna be that annoying spectator with the cowbell as you pass! :p
Winter Park!~

Next one is Sunday July 28th.

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Originally posted by Squeak
Yes Jo is kicking butt! We are all so proud of you in Monkey Land! :)

PS
Her new nickname is the Mad Odwalla Bomber! :sneaky:

Hehehe ... Squeak is referring to the fact that BY MISTAKE I left a half empty Odwalla Super Protein drink in his car after the race... it slid under the passenger seat and exploded in the heat yesterday... during his drive home from work:( Now it STINKS....:p

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Check this out...Nice shot of the start and of a wreck in progress! Tangled bars or something. Not a good thing!

Photo by Leatherface

Attachments

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
Assuming that JOJO is racing at the same level as my friend, I believe I know who was in that crash. She said some girl tried to slingshot right out and ended up getting her bar ends caught on my friend's.
She also said a lot of people had a tendency to really go all out, right from the start, and they all started to wear out around 10 miles.

On another note, I took another spill last night. I'd like to think that it's because I'm getting more comfortable with trying harder passages...but that doesn't help the pain :rolleyes: . Fortunately, pain's only temporary! :thumb:

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Assuming that JOJO is racing at the same level as my friend, I believe I know who was in that crash. She said some girl tried to slingshot right out and ended up getting her bar ends caught on my friend's.
She also said a lot of people had a tendency to really go all out, right from the start, and they all started to wear out around 10 miles.

On another note, I took another spill last night. I'd like to think that it's because I'm getting more comfortable with trying harder passages...but that doesn't help the pain :rolleyes: . Fortunately, pain's only temporary! :thumb:
You crashed again? You need a crash counter!

So, uh, your "friend" is a MTB'r. She single? :sneaky:

KrusteeButt

Jul 3, 2001

You crashed again? You need a crash counter!

So, uh, your "friend" is a MTB'r. She single? :sneaky:
Yep, seems like drawing blood from some part of my body is becoming a part of every ride. I am riding a lot better than I did last year...figure I've at least got that going for me.

Yes, my friend is a mud-hunnie...and she's ridiculous on climbs. Not super fast like RM, but she can just keep going and going...kinda pisses me off. :p She needs to work on her downhill though...she's got to get over her fears. Once she does that she'll be awesome!
But no, she's not single. You'd probably like her to be though...total hottie! :D But married. And her husband is a total muscle guy...you wouldn't want to make him angry.
They're about to leave for Switzerland in a few days, he's competing in the Ironman competition there.
She has a few friends that are hotties too...and MTB'ers. And all married. Sorry! :(

KrusteeButt

Jul 3, 2001
No crashing is allowed on Sunday.
Heheheh...well, I don't know what to tell ya. Crashing may be inevitable. Sometimes I have control of that...sometimes I don't.

Maybe we should think about carpooling, eh? You have any idea when you're plannin' on heading up there?

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO

How did she do? Yes she is right about people going all out right away. There was one girl that just flew ahead from the start.... I never saw her again...

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO

I think she said she finished 6th. She said she thinks she saw you doin' your little goof-up.
:rolleyes: are you serious? could it possibly get any worse... what is her name??

KrusteeButt

Jul 3, 2001
Keri...don't know her last name...kinda pathetic, I've known her and her husband for 4 months now and don't know their last name. Of course, now that I think about it, I don't know yours, RM's, nor Squeak's either. :rolleyes:

She's about my height, kinda built, long brown hair (usually in pig-tails), rides a small Giant XTC (yellow/black) with EXTREMELY noisy discs.

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Keri...don't know her last name...kinda pathetic, I've known her and her husband for 4 months now and don't know their last name. Of course, now that I think about it, I don't know yours, RM's, nor Squeak's either. :rolleyes:

She's about my height, kinda built, long brown hair (usually in pig-tails), rides a small Giant XTC (yellow/black) with EXTREMELY noisy discs.
Hey they parked right next to us. Her husband raced too right?? I think she was in the next age group from me though.....30-39.. Sound right?

Oh and I could tell you my last name KB but then I would have to kill ya:rolleyes: :p

KrusteeButt

Jul 3, 2001

Hey they parked right next to us. Her husband raced too right?? I think she was in the next age group from me though.....30-39.. Sound right?
Yep...she's in that age group. I didn't know they separated beginner class beyond 25.
Must've been someone else that she saw goofin' up. At least you know you're not alone! :p Also kinda interesting that the same things happened in both classes: people taking off right from the start and a crash right at the start.

I think her husband raced also...not sure though. He's also my height, but really built. Buzz cut hair. Not sure what bike he's riding these days, last I saw was a black Stumpjumper hardtail.
They were probably in a black Toyota Tacoma pick-up.

Squeak...very funny! Took me a second to figure it out. :rolleyes:

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO

Yep...she's in that age group. I didn't know they separated beginner class beyond 25.
Must've been someone else that she saw goofin' up. At least you know you're not alone! :p Also kinda interesting that the same things happened in both classes: people taking off right from the start and a crash right at the start.

I think her husband raced also...not sure though. He's also my height, but really built. Buzz cut hair. Not sure what bike he's riding these days, last I saw was a black Stumpjumper hardtail.
They were probably in a black Toyota Tacoma pick-up.

Squeak...very funny! Took me a second to figure it out. :rolleyes:
Actually all of the beginner women started together but the results were split up 18 and under, 19-29, 30-39 and so on. Sooooo I am sure I was the one she saw messing up although I only saw one other rider when that happened and I am sure it was not her.......who knows. Oh btw RM told me that he did the same thing once when he first started racing.... only he got really lost:p (made me feel a bit better:rolleyes: )

KrusteeButt

Jul 3, 2001

Oh btw RM told me that he did the same thing once when he first started racing.... only he got really lost:p (made me feel a bit better:rolleyes: )
Amazing....guys will say anything to get a little action! :eek:
(sorry JOJO...I haven't said a good one like that toward you in a while ;) )

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO

Amazing....guys will say anything to get a little action! :eek:
(sorry JOJO...I haven't said a good one like that toward you in a while ;) )
Well we just haven't talked in a while KB. Soooooooooo, in reality, the last time we conversed over ridemonkey I think you may have said something like that:rolleyes: :p